User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #31
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
Welcome!

Sorry I missed you coming through Northern VA. Enjoy your ride! East Tennessee is a lot of fun.

If I'm not too late and if you go across Tennessee, consider visiting the Jack Daniel's distillery in Lynchburg. They do a good tour, and seeing the giant rooms with a 4 year world supply of Jack Daniels aging is hard to forget!

Plus, many of the souvenirs (barrel staves and such) are made by a really colorful local fellow who is a neighbor of my grandparents.

John
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #32
Ritebike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
He has arrived in the ATL. He is getting a proper tour. He is going to stay an extra day, he feels that it will be worth it. I will do what I can to make it so. He definitely likes BBQ.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:25 AM   #33
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,407
I so do hope you make it through Mobile and New Orleans and other places along I 10. Even venturing to US 90 when can to really see the country and people.
I'm off the bikes for a bit with with a separated shoulder but can give you good roads not to miss while coming though Louisiana if you get down towards the coast.
Really enjoying your take as to the country and roads your seeing.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #34
mon the biffy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Day 9

I left the iron horse campground and headed straight to 'The Tail of the Dragon'. 11 miles of tight twisting tarmac. :)
I got there and I was amazed at the number of people, bikes, and cars in the area. Especially for a Wednesday.

I stopped at the bottom and looked around at a few bikes and said hello, but I was itching to try the road.

I set off at a steady pace, but the road just got better and better, so by the time I was a mile in, I was really giving it some. Hanging off the inside of the bike to try and stop the boards from grinding too much. I was grinning from ear to ear the whole way along.

There were photographers along the way and I managed to find myself here. There are a few more either side of this one too, which show the limited lean this bike has.
http://killboy.photoreflect.com/stor...o=2155&pc=5998

I got to the end and turned around and happened to bump into a couple of other Brits. Father and son who were doing the same as me but had set off a few weeks ago.

On the return down I was going to give it some again, but at the second or third corner in, there were crowds of people waving to slow down. I came round the next corner and there was some guy laying on the floor at the site of the road. He was alive and moving but looked like he was in a lot of pain. He was riding a Harley and only had a t shirt and skull cap helmet on. : I didn't stop as there was already a huge number of people, so thought it best to just get out of the way.
After seeing that I definitely slowed myself down as I want to see the rest of the country and not the inside of a hospital ward.

I then went to find Two Wheels Only campground. I rode around the area where I got the address for, but there was nothing to be seen. I had been told it closed down and moved to another location in the past, so maybe I had the wrong address. I went to try and look it up again but i had no signal on my phone. :mad:
It doesn't turn out to be a problem though as just around the corner there was a state campsite. it had no facilities, but it was somewhere to lay my head for the night.

I have to share my camp ground with a massive spider though!

I'm not usually bothered by spiders, but I definitely left this one well alone.
mon the biffy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #35
mon the biffy OP
Adventurer

Day 10-11

Atlanta

Thanks for giving me a place to stay and showing me around Dean. It has been great fun!! :)

I took a slow ride over to Atlanta from my camp in northern Georgia.
I stopped by Amicalola falls for some more hiking.
Everywhere I've stopped within the Appalachian mountains has been absolutely beautiful. And this is no different. The mountains around here are a truly gorgeous part of the world.

I arrived at Dean's place in the evening. After negotiating Atlanta traffic! ghead:
I was taken straight to an excellent BBQ joint, Fox Bros. BBQ, for baby back ribs, collard greens, and Frito pie. We don't get these things back home (apart from the ribs), and they are definitely no where near as tasty.
A night of drinking and talking about bikes etc ensued. With plenty of these going down.

The morning after was a bit slow but I managed to get myself up and go and explore Atlanta.
I spent some time riding around checking out the sights. I then pulled up by the aquarium and Olympic park area.
There isn't any great place to get photos of the city, so these will have to do.

Because of the slow start I didn't have time to see many of the things in town. I chose the aquarium as it is apparently the largest in the world.
I wasn't disappointed.

It was quite expensive to get in, so I spent a good time looking around there. (And waiting for the rush hour traffic to die down!)

It was then back to Dean's place and pizza before calling it a night, after only a sensible couple of beers this time.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #36
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Sounds like you are enjoying your ride! That's the important thing. Thanks for the great pic's and report. Looking forward to more.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #37
FMFDOC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
ANY WAY YOU CAN! http://youtu.be/Gg_G-NeSmW0
FMFDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:28 AM   #38
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,539
If you come through north east Ohio we would be happy to put you up for a day, even if you ride a ridiculous cruiser motorcycle!

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #39
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,142
Heya,

Assuming you're still there....I'd suggest you join the KoA and get one of their brochures, maybe even DL their waypoints into your GPS. It'll make it way easier to find campgrounds and should save your a penny or two.

And keep an eye open for Moosedrool, bloody awesome beer :)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #40
DecaturDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 8
Fox Brothers!

Glad to see dean introduced you to frito pie, that place has a beef short rib so good it'll make you weep.

Enjoying the RR, keep it up!
DecaturDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #41
coastal
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Great trip report and photos. The west is quite a ways off, but when you start the ride up the Pacific coast let me know. May be able to provide accommodations in NW Oregon. Our beer can't compare with the great bitters in UK, but Oregon is the microbrew capital of the USA. And remember, keep right.
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #42
mon the biffy OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all the tips and pointers, they're very valuable, and they are definitely helping me plan my trip.

The BBQ place in Atlanta was worth the trip on its own. The food has been amazing everywhere I've been to be fair though. I can't wait to try all the other places while I'm here.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #43
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,399
The old Two Wheels Only site has been completely renovated and reopened as Two Wheels of Suches. I personally like the location and nearby riding better than that of Deal's Gap.

Suches is north and west of Dahlonaga, which is not far outside of Atlanta, and the riding in the area is superb. If you have time on your itinerary it would be worth the stop.

I'll have to retrieve a map to give you directions and that might be in the morning, so perhaps someone else can provide specific location info before then.

Below is a cross link thread in case you are interested. It will open to the last page (which was p. 17 as I posted this).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...824900&page=17

And here's their Facebook page in case you are into that:

https://www.facebook.com/TwoWheelsofSuches

I'm enjoying your updates. Ride safe!
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #44
mon the biffy OP
Adventurer

Cheers basketcase
It a shame I missed it, as it looks really good. However I'm in western Tennessee tomorrow I don't think I'll will have chance to go back through Georgia again.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #45
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by mon the biffy View Post
Cheers basketcase
It a shame I missed it, as it looks really good. However I'm in western Tennessee tomorrow I don't think I'll will have chance to go back through Georgia again.
LOL. You are a fast moving target! Scratch Suches -- that one will have to be experienced vicariously.

Since you are headed west, I'll go ahead and mention the Chief Joseph Highway outside Cody, Wyoming, and the Bear Tooth Highway including Bear Tooth Pass, Montana. I rode both in 2010 and they are two of the main roads I would like to go back to do again.

Also, picking up on the photos I want to mention a caution in the form of some local information. Be advised that a DUI is a felony in Montana and can land you in the slammer for a long while.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote