Graceland! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG4wd6AiK00
Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #47
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
We'll see if we can talk him into it. Might depend on time and budget. Graceland is not a cheap place to visit if you want to see the mansion, the planes, and Elvis' cars.

At the very least, I'll take him by the place and we'll stop to read the graffiti on the wall out front.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #48
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
BBQ in Jackson TN

If you get this in time, I love Brooksie's in Jackson. An ex of mine talked the owner's wife into Fed-Exing me BBQ one year for Valentine's Day. It was awesome.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/177/9951...s-Barn-Jackson
Lacedaemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #49
mon the biffy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I'm a bit behind on my ride report. Sorry. I will make an effort tonight so you guys know where I am.

Brookside's would have been a great place for lunch today. But I decided to go down the Natchez trace and then head west, avoiding the I-40 for a while.

Lunch ended up being here

:mad: down:

At least they do free WiFi and it's air conditioned :):
mon the biffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #50
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by mon the biffy View Post
I'm a bit behind on my ride report. Sorry. I will make an effort tonight so you guys know where I am.

Brookside's would have been a great place for lunch today. But I decided to go down the Natchez trace and then head west, avoiding the I-40 for a while.

Lunch ended up being here

:mad: down:

At least they do free WiFi and it's air conditioned :):
That's how it goes sometimes. It's more important that you ride your ride, even if all of us sitting at home or at work are running a bit behind! Anyway, if I had been playing closer attention, I could have recommended Brooksie's yesterday. Sadly, you are leaving the part of the country I know anything about.

Enjoy the rest of your trip! I am living vicariously through you right now!
Lacedaemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #51
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,715
Keep it coming!

The Natchez Trace is a slow go, but very nice, sort of "time out of mind".
I loved all the Indian Mounds there, and actually had a sighting of an Albino Red Tailed Hawk on one of them.

The one thing I disliked about the "Trace" is you tend to miss all the places it passes thru... er... I mean NEAR. BUT it's a nice ride thru the woods.

Enjoy!
Cheers.
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #52
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
In for the ride

If you get in the Valley Forge Pa area pm me and I'll buy you a beer or 2.
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #53
mon the biffy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I've been a bit slack on updating this, so here is a run through of my past 3 days. The general idea of the past few days had been getting a few miles in, on generally boring roads.

Day 12
Over my stay in Atlanta, Dean and i had been talking about bicycles. I have a huge passion for mountain bikes back home. And it came up that Chattanooga is a cool place to go and that just outside of town there are some great trails.

I set off from Dean's place and made my way there out of Atlanta by the interstate. I arrived in plenty of time to try and sort something out for the afternoon. Unfortunately there where no bicycle shops nearby that could rent me a MTB to have a go on the trails. :( (I will definitely be looking into this again when I get to Colorado and Utah. I can't come all this way and not ride a mountain bike in some of the best places in the world!)
I was a bit disappointed, but as I was staying at the Racoon mountain campsite, that has its own caves on site. I thought I'd explore that instead.
They offer a variety of tours, from an easy 45 minute walk, to an overnight, muddy, crawling expedition where you have to squeeze through incredible small gaps.
Yes, you can sleep in the cave, overnight, in the pitch black. Apparently the last people to do it (pardon the pun), where a couple who wanted to try something different!
I would love to have done one of the more adventurous tours, but I had to settle for the basic walking tour as I missed the last crawling one of the day. It was a very interesting and beautiful place to see.

After the tour I was feeling hungry, so I took myself off into Chattanooga to a place called Aretha's. Great little local run place that is famous for its pancakes. It was 8pm though so I went for an excellent burrito.
I got chatting to some random guy (Fil) about my trip, and he gave me a quick tour of the town.

Chattanooga is a very cool town, with what looks like a great arts scene and culture going on.
After that we were talking to a girl who said that there was a punk festival being held at a local bar in town. I couldn't say no to that. So an evening of punk rock ensued. It wasn't quite the Sex Pistols, but it was still really good fun

After chatting to a few of the girls there and working the British accent, I rode back to the campsite, late! I tried not to wake everyone up by coasting into the campsite, but cutting the engine on this bike kills the lights as well! So I was left blind riding down a rocky dirt road, trying to find my tent.

Day 13

Chattanooga to Nashville.
Again petty boring roads, but on my way through I stopped at the Jack Daniels distillery in Lynchburg. It was an excellent stop over. The tour is great and all for free.

I also stopped by historic Lynchburg, which was pretty neat.

I arrived at my camp just outside Nashville and got everything set up. And just then, I got a message from Kerry through the ADV forum. So he came over and we took a ride into Nashville and parked our bikes on the main Broadway.

In loving this southern BBQ thing so we went for brisket sandwich at Jacks : and had a quick walk around the town to see some sights.

It's obvious that this town is famous for its music. Literally every bar had live music in, and every other street corner has someone busking on it. It was a very cool place to be.

This was the night of the 'super' moon, and there were people everywhere trying to take a picture.

Day 14

I got my stuff together in the morning and set off for Memphis.
I started down the Natchez trace. Going to the Loveless cafe for breakfast. I heard it was quite famous, and when I got there it was ridiculously busy. I ended up having my food to go and sitting outside. Everyone was looking at me very jealously as they were having their 35-40 minute wait for a table.

The Natchez trace, as ricochetrider says, 'it's a nice ride through the woods'. If you're going that way, then why not take the road as an alternative to a highway, but as an road unto it's own, is probably a waste of time.
It did have a cool bridge at the start and some decent views.

And then over the Tennessee river

I organised to meet Jamie just outside of Memphis, where he then took me to another BBQ joint called 'The Commissary'. For an excellent pulled pork sandwich with a couple of other guys from ADV too.

Going to explore Memphis in the morning.
I'll be heading into Arkansas to explore the Ozarks soon, if anyone has any suggestions?

mon the biffy screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 09:34 AM
mon the biffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #54
ZGirl
Girly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Sorry we weren't able to meet you last night, we had a previous engagement. I hope you enjoyed the company.

Turned out well we were home. Our air conditioning went out and we are lucky enough to know someone that could fix it before the temps went up to 85 degrees (or 30 C).

If you are headed for Arkansas there are awesome roads to be had. Not sure which direction you are headed, but Eureka Springs is a really neat town with a very eclectic feel.

You'll find some of the best riding you can imagine in Arkansas. If you get a chance to ride Push Mountain you will not regret it.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/34/Arkansas/Push-Mountain-Road.html

Mountain View is also a nice little town to stop for lunch and get some ice cream at the old fashioned soda fountain while you soak in some deep mountain old town square charm. They have music on the square lots of times.

There is a lot to do and see if you head to the Eureka Springs area. Let me know if you need more info.
ZGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #55
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
We'll see if we can talk him into it. Might depend on time and budget. Graceland is not a cheap place to visit if you want to see the mansion, the planes, and Elvis' cars.

At the very least, I'll take him by the place and we'll stop to read the graffiti on the wall out front.

Jamie
LOL, good deal, yeah it isn't cheap. Hey Biffy, if you come to a fork in the road and have to decide on money or missing something good, gimme your paypal email and I'll kick in some scratch for you, can't have a brutha from the mother country miss out on the stuff here
Old 06-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #56
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,765
Ian and I split up about 20 minutes ago in Greenville Mississippi. He's crossing the Mississippi River headed into Arkansas.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #57
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post

Jamie
$3.57 for PREMIUM???? WOW.....I wanna go there!!!

Great RR!! Have fun & be careful out there!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #58
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,024
Missouri

Please stay south in Missouri, go to Current River, Doniphan and float the Current River camp out there in town. Lots of Rivers and Lakes in SE Missouri, I'd host you but I'm in Columbia MO a college town, nothing but a bunch of partying drunk girls in summer shorts, you'd get bored here. Anyways, stay south thru Missouri. Happy Trails. If your going to Arkansas be sure to see Eureka Springs. I think you picked a fine horse to ride thru the US on. Goodluck, ride in the middle of the road.

luckychucky screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 01:28 PM
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #59
ZGirl
Girly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837

Can't wait to hear where you decided to go in Arkansas.....
ZGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #60
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Go for it mate - that's a great trip you're on. Needless to say I'm subscribed.

Safe journey.