User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #76
ZGirl
Girly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Sorry to hear of the problems!

The weather is beautiful here now. I hope it gets better for you!
ZGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #77
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by mon the biffy View Post
I went to pay for the fuel. I was then told the by the charming cashier lady. Credit card declined!

My bank had blocked my cards.
Oh, yeah. A bit late but - when you're planning to travel, contact all your credit card companies before you leave, let them know where you're going and when. They will add a note on your account that you are travelling.

Otherwise, they notice unusual activity on your account, and block your cards..... (as you know).
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #78
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
Oh, yeah. A bit late but - when you're planning to travel, contact all your credit card companies before you leave, let them know where you're going and when. They will add a note on your account that you are travelling.

Otherwise, they notice unusual activity on your account, and block your cards..... (as you know).
+1 I do it all the time when I go on a cruise or travel abroad.

Great RR do far. Any reason you decided to skip Florida? Maybe it's for the better since it's rain season here right now.
seatec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #79
mon the biffy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
The silly thing is, I had told my banks what I was doing. I've also been using the cards since I arrived with no problems. It was just strange why they blocked them then, after nearly 3 weeks of use!

Day 18

It started with a trip to the rangers station to try and use their phone. They were kind enough to let me try. However the phone would not let me dial internationally.
I got the directions to the nearest McDonald's, and off I went to use their WiFi.

Success! :)

I managed to get through to my bank and sort everything out.

In the afternoon I took a leisurely paced ride up scenic highway 7, stopping at some nice overlooks.

I headed over the Buffalo River, before arriving in Eureka Springs, AR :)

There were no ADVers I could see in the area, so I organised to stay with somebody through the couch surfing website that Jamie had mentioned to me.

Blayne was the guy I was to stay with in Eureka Springs. Over the phone he told me it was a campground set up and that he didn't have a couch, but he did have a spare 'bedroom'. I was intrigued. A campground with a spare bedroom!?

I turned up at what looked like a dumping ground for old vehicles and general rubbish. Then Blayne appeared from behind an old bus to greet me and invite me into his place. The bus! The bus was his house!

It was actually quite a cool setup and very nice inside. It had everything you could ever need. Electric, water, stove etc.

He then showed me to the spare bedroom. It turned out to be an old bread van with a few old bits of furniture in. Fine by me. This is an adventure and not scared of sleeping out in the open.

Blayne plays a fiddle in a local band, so he invited me down to the pub where he was playing that night. We had some good food and nice ales, before watching his band.

They were a really entertaining and a totally different music experience to anything I've seen before.

I was introduced to a few of his friends, more drinks were had, until we ended up on the deck outside his friends place (another bus), around a fire, drinking red wine from a bag.

I actually did end up sleeping on a couch that night, rather than in the back of a van. Nobody could drive, so a few of us stayed nearby, in an actual house!
mon the biffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #80
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
if there is any thread worthy of being called an "adventure"... this is it.

have fun!
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #81
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,559
Quote:
He then showed me to the spare bedroom. It turned out to be an old bread van with a few old bits of furniture in. Fine by me. This is an adventure and not scared of sleeping out in the open.

I actually did end up sleeping on a couch that night, rather than in the back of a van. Nobody could drive, so a few of us stayed nearby, in an actual house!
That, my friend, is a Union City Stepvan...(I've had 7 of 'em)...and too bad on the missed opprotunity to sleep in one, as they're quite lovely to crash out in. (the voice of experience here)

here's a tip if you haven't heard yet...

most public library's have free Wi-Fi...and it's usually a great place to meet folks and get information on the local sights and offerings.

It seems to me like your covering ALOT of ground ina very short amount of time. I can't believe you're already talking about heading toward Texas. You haven't even touched the South yet...and you need to do Key West. Too much to see before moving on so soon!

Really enjoying you RR though!!

Enjoy yourself...and be safe.

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #82
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
Texas

Head to Pecan Grove in Austin and Camp right in the city, by Zilker Springs Park. You'll have a great time in Austin. Go swim in the springs, then ride out to Hippy Hollow, enjoy the wild-life. Don't burn your buns tho.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #83
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
4th of July

You need to be in a capital or a college town for the fourth! You'll love it, biggest party of the year, life bands, good food and lots of fun.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #84
ZGirl
Girly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
WELLLLLCOMMMME TO ARRRRRKANSSSSAWWWWWW...

That would not have been my suggestion for Eureka Springs, but hope you enjoyed it!

Been there recently and had some good ideas, but none that involved fiddlers and a bread van!

Here is my suggestion for Austin.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g30196-d116421-Reviews-Barton_Springs_Pool-Austin_Texas.html

BTW, the very cool spring water was a balm to my Irish roots considering the baking temps in that area of the country.

I have to admit, I've not been there since I was a kinda hippie in the 80's......

It might be commercial and suck now.
ZGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #85
mon the biffy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
That, my friend, is a Union City Stepvan...(I've had 7 of 'em)...and too bad on the missed opprotunity to sleep in one, as they're quite lovely to crash out in. (the voice of experience here)
I didn't miss out on a chance to sleep in the van. I stayed in Eureka Springs for another day.
Partly because I wanted to ride a few more roads around the area. But mainly because I was so hungover I wasn't up for much till the afternoon. :(

Day 19

Started with a hangover, but we all went for a breakfast at a nice little place in town.
I then went back to the campground to charge my phone and recover from the night before.
After an hour or so felt well enough to get back on the bike. And as there wasn't really any time to organise somewhere else to stay. I elected to explore around the Ozarks some more that day. I went south down highway 23 to ride 'The Pig Trail'.
Nice sweeping road in the northern section before getting twistier on the southern part.

I didn't fancy another night of heavy drinking so I rode my bike into downtown Eureka.

To answer anyones concerns about the number of beer photos etc. and getting around.
I would personally never drink and drive. I've known of too many incidents, including a good friend being killed by a drunk who was behind the wheel.

I was chatting to the guys from last night, and a few of the eccentric locals and visitors!
Before turning in early for a good night sleep in the van.

mon the biffy screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 12:09 PM
Old 07-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #86
mon the biffy OP
Adventurer

Oh and if anyone is reading this suggesting places for me. Thank you very much. I really do use them, so keep them coming.
However I'm way behind on the days. :
I'm writing this in Fredericksburg, TX. On my way to Big Bend before heading north into New Mexico in a few days.

There's a good story or two from the past few days so I'll try and update again soon.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #87
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
keep enjoying it!

hopefully one day, i'll get the chance to ride the UK!
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #88
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,272
Quote:
Oh and if anyone is reading this suggesting places for me. Thank you very much. I really do use them, so keep them coming.
However I'm way behind on the days. :
I'm writing this in Fredericksburg, TX. On my way to Big Bend before heading north into New Mexico in a few days.

There's a good story or two from the past few days so I'll try and update again soon.
Dude if you spent a few days in nola and didn't have a story I would be disappointed.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #89
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,784
Near Big Bend , well not real near but within 100 miles is Marfa, Tx. Outside of Marfa on 90 is a veiwing area for the Marfa Lights. It's one of 2 places in the world to see these strange lights. The explanations for them range from ghosts of miners wandering the hills to aliens. the scientific version is also strange. Light from distant stars bent and focused by the upper atmosphere is concentrated into balls of light that float in the hills ?
And north of the panhandle in southern New Mexico check out Carlsbad Caverns and then stay for the sunset bat exodus. Good stuff.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #90
Diveschool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post

I'll vouch for Ian just as Jamie said, he's good people and a pleasure to be around, a fine ADVer if ever there was
Ian stayed in my place in Austin for 4th of July, he is really nice guy and we had a good time. So, I would like to add my recommendation as well.

HOWEVER, he is very rude! :)
I bought him a case of 12 British beer and he drank only TWO.... now I am stuck with the rest of the beers, I guess I will need to figure what to do with the 6 that left...

I send him to do the Twisted sister, and Big Bend (170)
Diveschool is offline   Reply With Quote