User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #91
Katze
Full Time Rider

Oddometer: 235
Hey mon,

If your travels take you anywhere near Lake Tahoe look me up. I've got the local hook-up on most everything.

I know some really good roads to explore too.

My back yard...

Yeah, we've camping too...
Old 07-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #92
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,671
I texted Ian, but realized that there may or may not be cell signal where he is, though there should be Wifi at the camp store in Big Bend...

A couple places I'd recommend around Big Bend. Spend at least one evening in Terlingua, go to the Starlight Theatre.

I also really enjoyed Chinati Hot Springs not too far west of there, but it's a loose gravel road to get there. Not sure how the V-Star would do. You'd make it, but you'd have to go slow. They have camping and a few rooms. (There's also a hot springs in Big Bend, but it's just an open tub.)

It wasn't open when I was there, but they've just reopened the crossing into Boquillas del Carmen from Big Bend. I hear it's a worthwhile place to stop.

When you leave Big Bend, ride highway 170 west toward Presidio. Excellent road!

Not sure if it's on your way, but US 191 in Arizona is worth going out of your way for.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #93
antarcticgecko
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I'm going to second a trip to Carlsbad Caverns National Park. This is another one of those places that's so grand, so immensely captivating that it is quite difficult to put the experience into words. Also, it'll be a nice break from the heat!

If it weren't July, I'd also recommend Guadalupe Mountains National Park. It is just 40 miles from Carlsbad and is quite pretty, along with having a great day hike that takes you to the tallest point in Texas.

Enjoying the ride report! Keep it comin'!
antarcticgecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #94
mon the biffy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Cheers Jamie
I'm in the Chisos Basin right now on their WiFi. Gorgeous place. (You will all have to wait till i catch up on my ride report to see the photos.) Thanks for the advice, I'll see what I've got time for.

Day 20

It felt good to wake up a lot fresher than the day before. I said goodbye to Blayne and his campsite, and headed off.
I had organised to stay with another ADV guy, ThrottleMeister (John) over in western Oklahoma.
I planned a route around Beaver that looked interesting, for both roads and some sights. Then up into Missouri for a bit of a loop, before coming back into Arkansas, and then onto Oklahoma.

I first went past Beaver dam.

Before crossing a Beaver Bridge, a cool wooden bridge that was single file traffic only. I later found out that it's called the little golden gate bridge of Arkansas due to the similarity with they big one I guess.

This led me up into Missouri on the highway 86 to Cassville, before dropping back down the 112 into Arkansas and eventually into Bentonville.

I had been told that there are no good roads in Oklahoma and I should just jump on an intestate or highway and get to Colorado. However I needed to get to Pryor. I spotted a couple of roads on my map the 102 and 20 that went exactly where I needed to be.
Now they weren't spectacular, but I was still smiling and having fun while riding these roads. Especially the section that goes through Spavinaw state park :)

I even ended up on a gravel road again, by trying to take a shortcut!

I may have to look into this dual sport thing next time.

Oh and I also got my first experience with the police! They were stopping all motorcycles than came down the 20 through Spavinaw. They were just looking to make sure people had licence and insurance, but it was still a bit worrying. Especially as when I had stopped earlier for lunch, I thought to myself, 'I havn't checked the tyres for a few days.'
I went back to the bike and I was greeted with this.

Back home this is highly illegal and I would have been fined and had points on my licence!
Here though, he didn't seem bothered. He just sent me on my way :)

While on my way to John's, I received a message saying that I was in for 'a real American experience'!
I was intrigued and also a little bit worried.
I arrived and was warmingly* greeted. It was then that I was told the American experience would be hauling hay for the evening!
It involved following a pick up truck around a field and throwing the bails of hay on the trailer.
When the trailer was full, a beer or two was drank before unloading it into the barn.

Before doing it all over again.

When we finished at this place, someone said that another guy needed some help with the straw in their field. We loaded the beer cooler in the back of the pickup and jumped in the vehicles.
At the other farm there was a machine that did the hard work, so we just watched and drank beer while riding in the back of a pick up :)

Occasionally small stray bails fell off the back.
Here's John showing how manly he is. He can carry two!

Lots of beer had been drank by this point so desperate measures were required for some folk who couldn't hold it in any longer. :)

When we had finished it was so late the only place left open for food was Sonic. So I had my first experience of an American drive in too!
mon the biffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #95
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
Welcome to Missouri

Yea, you found the coolest part of the world!
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #96
MatSubZero
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Copperhead Run Rally

So, as you went thru Spavinaw, you must have passed by the Copperhead Run Rally grounds... They have a bar on site, always something going on there... I've been to this rally a couple times.. Probably could've camped there if timing was right....?...
Old 07-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #97
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatSubZero View Post
Probably could've camped there if timing was right....?...
He had better place to stay at my shop in an RV with A/C At least he did find that road on his way to Pryor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mon the biffy View Post
I arrived and was warmingly* greeted. It was then that I was told the American experience would be hauling hay for the evening!
It involved following a pick up truck around a field and throwing the bails of hay on the trailer.
"Warmingly greeted"

Sorry about putting you to work Ian, lots going on around here this summer, always work to be done, usually not hauling little hay bales though You lucked out Next time I'll make sure it's the big round ones

Nice to have you stop by

Hope the new tires are holding up well enough.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #98
mon the biffy OP
Adventurer

Day 20

The morning task was to change the tyres on the V Star.
The wheels came off relatively easily with the help of John's jack.

We took them to the local cycle shop for some fresh rubber.

Lunch was had at JLs BBQ place. Gorgeous.
I am really liking the food over here. Although eating out most of the time means it's getting very 'heavy'. I'm kind of craving fresh fruit and veg now. Maybe I'll order the salad next time! :)

The wheels went back on the bike and then came planning my next place to go. Before I arrived at Johns, I was set to jump across the rest of Oklahoma and Texas and get to a New Mexico or Colorado. However with the weather turning slightly cooler, and the fact that i hadn't been to the proper south yet. John managed to convince me that the trip to New Orleans wouldn't be that bad. :
He also pointed out that I'd missed some good roads further south in Oklahoma and Arkansas that I could hit on the way down.
By the time I set off it was way later than I had planned and I didn't quite get to where I hoped.
I ended up camping at Talimena State Park. And assured myself that i would get an early start tomorrow, for my trip to New Orleans.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #99
ZGirl
Girly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Day 20

Lunch was had at JLs BBQ place. Gorgeous.
I am really liking the food over here. Although eating out most of the time means it's getting very 'heavy'. I'm kind of craving fresh fruit and veg now. Maybe I'll order the salad next time! :)
The food is great when eating out here, but it should not be a part of your regular diet unless you want to stay at John's farm and work it off.

Try checking out local farmer's markets in the next few towns. Just a week ago I purchased fresh peaches, blackberries and blueberries that were grown locally. They were yummy!

Lettuce is out of season for the most part this time of year, but the tomatoes are wonderful! Fresh tomatoes with a bit of mozzarella and fresh basil should be available if that's to your liking.
ZGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #100
mon the biffy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGirl View Post
Fresh tomatoes with a bit of mozzarella and fresh basil should be available if that's to your liking.
That sounds delicious.:
I have been picking up a few fresh things if I have time in the evening. With the hot weather down here. It is impossible to keep them fresh any longer than the one night.
So I have to confess to restoring to the restaurants more often than not.:
Old 07-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #101
ZGirl
Girly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
That sounds delicious.:
I have been picking up a few fresh things if I have time in the evening. With the hot weather down here. It is impossible to keep them fresh any longer than the one night.
So I have to confess to restoring to the restaurants more often than not.:
Bill and I have found that a zip-lock bag filled with ice and a small insulated fabric cooler will keep a day's worth of healthy stuff fresh. The fabric coolers can be reduced to conform to your luggage, or you can pack items in to retain the cool temps and use the space.

We normally stop at a market and get what we need for breakfast or dinner and keep any small leftovers in a bag, wrapped in and stuffed into the cooler (insulated with rain gear or other soft gear not being used).

This is a MUST when traveling in Amish country where the produce is spectacular!
ZGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #102
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 3,001
Old 07-09-2013, 01:50 AM   #103
panzerrocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Damn this is excellent.
Enjoying your report.
Good luck for the rest of your journey, mate.
panzerrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:58 AM   #104
kreattur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Hey !

I'm also really enjoying your trip ! :)
I'm following it from France, taking notes trying to plan my own (hopefully next year)... I already learned useful tips !

Thanks for sharing, have fun and ride safe !

kreattur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #105
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,557
i can't believe someone sent you to new orleans this time of year! humid and hot!!!