User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #16
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,446
Couple of things.

1. Don't go by the sight glass, it will absolutely drive you crazy and is notoriously unreliable. Just change it frequently, and the filters every 2-3 oil changes. Measure what comes out to see if you are burning oil.

2. When you drain it you will only get 1L max because the 200ml is being taken up by the filters and associated plumbing.

3. Don't micromanage it. They are very hardy bikes. I once did 50 hard enduro miles with only 250ml of oil in my entire bike due to taking a rock to the engine case. I fixed the hole with JB, topped it off with crappy, gas station no-name oil and finished the ride.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:10 AM   #17
dirtriderbloke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
ok thanks for all that advice mate.
what do you mean by micromanaging it?
and if i only ever get 1 liter in total out of the bike, im assuming that means that the 770ml that i drained out via the drain plug isn't too bad then?
dirtriderbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
400psi
Cropdusting

Oddometer: 440
Did you take out the lower screen bolt? If not the rest may be there. Other than that, what otg said
Old 06-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #19
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
One thing to keep in mind is the oil in the RFS motors dont always drain back to the sump when the bike is off. Some oil gets trapped in the various galleries which makes the sight glass very unreliable cause you'll end up overfilling it (ask me how I know).
I've never been comfortable with the 'just ride it' method or the 'just change the oil more frequently' method. I know my bike burns oil but I never know how much or how much to add... so here's a method that I use and I've been pretty comfortable w/ the results; never overfilled and always within warm and fuzzy view of the sight glass.

Before a ride I'll crouch in front of the sight glass with a flashlight and sloowly lean the bike towards me while shining the light down into the crank case through the window. If I have to lean the bike over so far that it gets too heavy to hold and I see NO signs of oil, I know to add oil. Then, with the bike centered I'll add oil to the very bottom of the sight glass (just to where I can see it with a flashlight).

If before a ride I lean the bike and see oil (again, using the flashlight) before the bike gets to heavy to hold up I call it good and go ride.

Never had an overflow issue and have always felt good knowing the oil level was in sight.
211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:24 AM   #20
dirtriderbloke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211 View Post
One thing to keep in mind is the oil in the RFS motors dont always drain back to the sump when the bike is off. Some oil gets trapped in the various galleries which makes the sight glass very unreliable cause you'll end up overfilling it (ask me how I know).
I've never been comfortable with the 'just ride it' method or the 'just change the oil more frequently' method. I know my bike burns oil but I never know how much or how much to add... so here's a method that I use and I've been pretty comfortable w/ the results; never overfilled and always within warm and fuzzy view of the sight glass.

Before a ride I'll crouch in front of the sight glass with a flashlight and sloowly lean the bike towards me while shining the light down into the crank case through the window. If I have to lean the bike over so far that it gets too heavy to hold and I see NO signs of oil, I know to add oil. Then, with the bike centered I'll add oil to the very bottom of the sight glass (just to where I can see it with a flashlight).

If before a ride I lean the bike and see oil (again, using the flashlight) before the bike gets to heavy to hold up I call it good and go ride.

Never had an overflow issue and have always felt good knowing the oil level was in sight.
sweet. thanks for the advice mate. i will definitely do that from now on. i haven't changed the filters yet but i added in 1.2 liters of oil anyway....does that mean i should re-drain it and then re-fill with only 1 liter? or just leave it and change the filters anyway?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:54 AM   #21
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtriderbloke View Post
sweet. thanks for the advice mate. i will definitely do that from now on. i haven't changed the filters yet but i added in 1.2 liters of oil anyway....does that mean i should re-drain it and then re-fill with only 1 liter? or just leave it and change the filters anyway?

When you just change the oil, re-fill with 1L only.

When you do the oil, filters, check screens, etc fill with 1.2L

"Micromanaging" refers to don't go crazy over it. These bikes are very hardy. I probably changed my oil way more than it needed.

More important than the oil is the air filter. Make sure you have it seated really well with a nice layer of filter grease around the mounting flange. Change that every few rides, or every ride if you are in sand.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:58 AM   #22
dirtriderbloke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post

"Micromanaging" refers to don't go crazy over it. These bikes are very hardy. I probably changed my oil way more than it needed.

More important than the oil is the air filter. Make sure you have it seated really well with a nice layer of filter grease around the mounting flange. Change that every few rides, or every ride if you are in sand.
ok thanks. so seeing as i already filled up with 1.2 liters of oil but didn't change the filters or clean the screens, should i just re-drain the oil, replace the filters(ive got some new filters handy) and clean screens and then re-top up with 1.2 liters? or just save the filters are drain the oil and re-top up with only 1 liter?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #23
dirtriderbloke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

nevermind, just did it anyway. re-drained the oil, replaced the oil filters i had handy and cleaned both oil screens and blew compressed air through em.
next question is, does it matter if the mesh on the oil screens is a bit dented? the mesh isn't ripped or broken or anything but there are parts of the mesh that are kinda pushed in a little bit(not even or inline)
Old 06-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #24
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post

this is the way to do it.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #25
davesupreme
grand poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtriderbloke View Post
nevermind, just did it anyway. re-drained the oil, replaced the oil filters i had handy and cleaned both oil screens and blew compressed air through em.
next question is, does it matter if the mesh on the oil screens is a bit dented? the mesh isn't ripped or broken or anything but there are parts of the mesh that are kinda pushed in a little bit(not even or inline)
that's fine... you just don't want the mesh broken.... this is what's stopping large particles from going thru the oil galleries and into the oil jets and into your motor, cylinder, crank, etc...... just clean the screens good... the oil goes from the outside to in.... look at your manual, and it has a diagram of the oil system....
Old 06-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #26
dirtriderbloke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

ok cool then. thanks so much for all the help and advice guys.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #27
davesupreme
grand poobah

whaddoo you think, we're done?.... gimme $5 bux.... ... and then...
Old 06-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #28
dirtriderbloke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

haha im from Australia so unfortunately that wouldn't work lol.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #29
davesupreme
grand poobah

from what i know of ozzies, this is the standard part.....
Old 06-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #30
dirtriderbloke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

just a question. why would my bike be burning oil though? it's had a new top end(rings, piston, etc) and had the cylinder checked.
as mentioned before, i did a complete oil and filter change and checked all my screens, only got out another 100ml, so in total, only 870ml came out the bike.

dirtriderbloke screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 11:07 PM