Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #31
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtriderbloke View Post
just a question. why would my bike be burning oil though? it's had a new top end(rings, piston, etc) and had the cylinder checked.
as mentioned before, i did a complete oil and filter change and checked all my screens, only got out another 100ml, so in total, only 870ml came out the bike.
You will never fully drain the engine, so don't worry about it unless you are suffering from other symptoms like power loss, excessive smoke, etc.
Play War Thunder, ultra-realistic WWII Air Combat game with other ADVers
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #32
dirtriderbloke OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
ok cool. that's good to know then lol.
how much oil in it would roughly be a safe level to ride with though for future reference?
someone on another forum said that with the RFS engines, as long as it's got a little bit in it, it should be fine. is that true or not?
and also, just reading the manual, it says to lay bike on it's side and to fill the oil filter cylinders with 1/3 - half way before installing the oil filters. is this really that necessary as i didn't do it?

dirtriderbloke screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 01:53 AM
dirtriderbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:27 AM   #33
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtriderbloke View Post
ok cool. that's good to know then lol.
how much oil in it would roughly be a safe level to ride with though for future reference?
someone on another forum said that with the RFS engines, as long as it's got a little bit in it, it should be fine. is that true or not?
and also, just reading the manual, it says to lay bike on it's side and to fill the oil filter cylinders with 1/3 - half way before installing the oil filters. is this really that necessary as i didn't do it?
That could be the reason you are 200ml low.

In any case, don't overthink it. If you have oil in there, you're good.
Play War Thunder, ultra-realistic WWII Air Combat game with other ADVers
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:42 AM   #34
dirtriderbloke OP
Adventurer

ahh thought it might be related to that!
ill just leave it for now seeing as ive already done the oil and filter change and ill make sure i do it next time.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #35
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,073
Laying the bike on it's side to fill the filter housings is not really necessary.

It would be best to do this if the motor had a total rebuild, otherwise you will still have some residual oil throughout the motor that will help protect the parts until the oil pressure builds up.

Just don't pin the motor on the first start up after an oil change.

Cheers

Droptarotter screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 06:22 AM
Droptarotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:16 AM   #36
dirtriderbloke OP
Adventurer

cheers mate. it has had a fresh rebuild about 35 hours of riding ago.
im glad i know now though. im still relatively new to 4 strokes lol, this bike is my 1st 4 stroke. been riding 2 strokes previously
Old 06-16-2013, 11:57 PM   #37
81forest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
I have always heard that pre-filling the oil filters and cavities is important when changing the oil. Might be overkill, but the word on KTMTalk is to do it, so I do it. It is a tremendous mess and a pain in the ass, every time.

I have had my 2005 450 EXC for about six months now, and I've changed the oil five times so I'm no expert, and I feel your pain about second-guessing yourself with the oil level, etc. I wouldn't worry about the exact amount that comes out when you drain it; as others have said, there are lots of places for oil to stay in the motor and make you think that your level was low. Just change it and add one liter with no filter change, or 1.2 liters if you are using new filters. The sight glass sucks. If the level is ever above halfway on the sight glass when the bike is cold, it is almost certainly overfilled on my bike. I have had to use my fork oil syringe to pull oil out of the fill hole to get the level right. Hope that helps. How many hours or miles did you get before needing the rebuild?
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #38
dirtriderbloke OP
Adventurer

thanks for that mate...glad you also feel the pain of not knowing lol.
i got 7,000k's so about 13-14,000 miles out of the bike before the rebuild. lasted a long time