User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
fossriver OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
1999 Dr350s Build

So, I bought a 1999 Dr350S with 8800 miles, rode it 5 miles, and did this to it.

fossriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,885
Hover bikes are awesome...

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
fossriver OP
Adventurer

You never would have guessed it, but it turns out that a Ktm 690 Enduro is a lot of bike in the dirt for a 165#, 5'8" guy that learned to ride at age 30. But, with 17" wheels shod in Distanzia's it has proven itself to be a great city bike for me. I missed having a smaller, more simple bike for cruising the forest service roads around Skykomish. In researching bikes in the sub $2000 range, the Suzuki Dr350 struck me as a bike that I could be happy with. After test riding it, I knew immediately that it was coming home with me. My initial impressions were that it seemed like a nice combination of two bikes that I have owned in the past, a DRZ and a Sherpa. Of course, the jetting seemed off, and the brakes and suspension felt soggy. But, I hoped that could all be fixed. The bike came stock, except for a White Brothers E series pipe, and a hacked up airbox. The turn signals would light up, but not flash. And, the horn made only the faintest whimper no matter how I adjusted the tuning screw.

I figured it might be a good idea to get one of these, after tearing the bike apart of course

I replaced the horn with a Sickspeed 118 db horn. Cost me $20 bucks from Ebay. Made a bracket to mount it because due to it's larger size it needs to be mounted an inch out from the mounting hole so it can clear the frame, and an inch down so it can clear the stock fuel tank. It sounds like a very angry Goose, on steroids. Will it scare off deer, grouse, and chipmunks? I hope so. Will it wake the dead? Quite possibly.

I removed the decal, filled the small rivet holes, and spent a couple of hours cleaning up the pipe with the Dremel.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
fossriver OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
Hover bikes are awesome...
I know, right? This it what happens when the bike is on a lift, the forks and wheels are off, and I decide that it would be a great time to remove the skid plate for powder coating
Old 06-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
fossriver OP
Adventurer

I pulled off the stock foot pegs. The passenger pegs weigh 2.5# by the way. Why are the driver pegs so ridiculously small?

Got these shiny IMS pegs, that went on real easy. No springs in the eye for me thank you.

Removed the fork boots (free to anyone who wants them, no rips/punctures). Added Seal savers, and painted the cable mounts. I changed the fork oil with the recommended 10 wt, and the forks actually feel really nice. With the rebound and compression cranked all the way up though, I think I am at my limit. The rear suspension still feels soggy with the sag adjusted, and the rebound/compression all the way stiff. It came with a Kouba #2 which I think is 1.75 inches. Will putting the stock link back on stiffen things up at all, or it will it just affect travel? I am probably due for a shock refresh, or a maybe a stiffer spring regardless. Even with new pads, the brakes feel too spongy, so I will change the fluid soon.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
fossriver OP
Adventurer

I had a FCR 39mm pumper carb on my DRZ, so I knew that that the pumper would really make the DR350 come alive. I didn't even bother trying to jet the stock carb, I just ordered up the kit. Thank you Keintech

One of the previous owner's of this bike did an interesting job of cutting and welding the kickstand foot back on to compensate for the lowering of the bike with the Kouba link. It also leaned over way too far. Remember me saying it reminded me of my Sherpa I cleaned up all the welds, and attached an old skateboard wheel to the kickstand foot with four screws and lots of JB weld. I also grinded the bottom of it to give it a good angle for the bike to rest on. It turned out real solid. It's rather funny looking, but at least it's the right height now.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #7
fossriver OP
Adventurer

I bought a new flasher relay at Autozone hoping that was why the signals would turn on and not flash. Turns out that was the problem. I bought the transparent one, it is strangely hypnotizing. It's a good thing it will be buried behind the headlight assembly.

">

I removed 4 pounds of rubbish from the rear fender

and replaced it with this:

Teaser !!

Old 06-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #8
fossriver OP
Adventurer

Added Renthal Fatbar Carmichael bend bars, and Turner oversize bar mount. Real nice fit.

I was in Bent Bike buying a shifter, and I found these new/old stock Acerbis Frame Guards for $15. If you look really closely at the package you will see they are for a xr250/400. I figured if I could not make them fit with minor modification I would offer them to a friend with an xr400.

They Fit!

Is it done yet? Nope? This picture is deceiving. In Person, the plastics and fuel tank are pretty dinged up. I had the rear grab bar and skid plate powder coated, and I also added a gripper seat cover, and some cheapo Bikemaster mirrors.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:15 AM   #9
fossriver OP
Adventurer

Now, it's done. Vinyl wrap is a great way to frustrate yourself over a 12 hour period.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,237
Thanks for taking us along.
plugeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
Well done! I loved everything about my DR350S other than the stock suspension when the terrain got really rough. I put WAY too much money into it back when Cycle Gear had a bunch of mods for them when they were new. Mine was a 1991 and I did the whole motor treatment, carb, pipe, the "DR Magic Airbox" and of course, Excells, tyres big front brake from braking, and steel lines with EBC red stuff pads. Made it go and stop like a well prepped desert bike but the suspension really was a let down. I was going to stick a set of USD forks on it and buy a nice Ohlins shock, and then reinforce the swingingarm, but it was involved in a garage fire before that happened and totaled.

Sniper X screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 09:05 AM
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
Rot Box
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Looks great! I'll bet the FCR is well worth the effort.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #13
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye View Post
thanks for taking us along.
+1

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #14
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 456
nice job! I bought a 1990 DR350s a few weeks ago and have been slowly working my way through it's issues (shift drum bolt, bent stopper cam, wheel bearings...)

What a great little bike though! So much more fun whipping a 300# bike through tight dirt roads than the 600# Tiger.

Enjoy your ride!
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #15
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot Box View Post
Looks great! I'll bet the FCR is well worth the effort.
They always are. The best bang for the buck power adder for a thumper is a flat slide carby. I have never heard of a good stock carb that was both well mannered and good for power.