Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #136
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
RD... you are just having way too much fun.

So... cut it out!

Life is supposed to be about whining and complaining.

Great RR. Drink more Guinness!
R-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #137
rockydog OP
just a guy

Oddometer: 795
Gorgeous day

Drove down to the little concession stand you can see below me in one of those previous shots

Down the road to Sennen Cove found a good expresso

And met this guy, another expresso repairman, who was in San Francisco 25 years ago for an international paintball competition and wound up in Santa Cruz in a rented fake windmill with 6 Welsh girls. I seem to be collecting more an more weirdness

Than in St. Just saw the first construction project of any size

Close to this airport with a By God grass landing strip

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #138
rockydog OP
just a guy

Pendent

Little further down the coast road is Pendeen, I parked on a small road and was walking back when I passed this courtyard and thought it looked promising

Popped my head in the restaurant

Ordered eggs Benedict cause I used to go to the Lands End restaurant in San Francisco and eat the same thing then flog my Norton Commando over the GG bridge and do the Ca coast road. The owners have done a bang up design job and are hoping for a continuing warm summer to bring the crowds out.

Last night Tiffany, her 3 Welsh friends and I went to a performance at a dynamic natural arena overlooking the blustery ocean for a performance of Ann Boleyn. More on that after my morning ride.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:02 AM   #139
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Ah memories... SF, Land's End, Golden Gate, Marin County and Hwy 1.

Thanks RockyDog. Used to ride my Norton on those same roads.
She still sits in my garage now just a little further east.

Great pics!
R-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:20 AM   #140
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Man, that video in the japanese forest was absolutely amazing. How difficult that must have been to create! Awesome-looking forest too! Note to self: ride Japan some day. Rockydog, hats off to you for always managing to come up trumps with all the people you meet. I mean, some people might have reacted poorly to a photog telling them to shove off from in front of his sign, but instead you just made two new friends. Cool. Very cool. Perfect temperament for adventure riding. Thanks again for posting up!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #141
rockydog OP
just a guy

Off the grid

Been off the grid for 3-4 days in a campground with zip cell signal. Neat. Rode back today in and out of the rain from Monmouth, Wales to Penzance. The theater we went to last week started out like this

The Minack Theater in Porthcurno, Cornwall, magnificent setting for a performance of 'Anne Boleyn', and because I'm such a scholar of English history I asked Tiffany what kind of music does Anne Boleyn play? She made me sit on the hopeless bench. But more in awhile, my Thai dish just arrived.

rockydog screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 01:38 AM
Old 07-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #142
rockydog OP
just a guy

R-W, yes indeedy, some of my sweetest memories are with that bike on the coast? Ahhh, you devil, I just flashed on your avatar pic, sweet

Blader54, that video impressed me a lot so I enjoyed sharing. And thanks for the compliments, the guy just had a bad start to his day and once he got that out of his system he was very genial. Amazingly, he shoots film because he worked for years in a film and print production business and it's cheaper to go film neg direct to print and mail the product.

rockydog screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 01:54 PM
Old 07-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #143
rockydog OP
just a guy

Let's go to the theatre

In motorclecycle gear. The forecast was cool with maybe some rain so Tiffany and I wore our gear; warm and dry and stylin in her new jacket she is going to review. Walking to our great seats

There were 5 of us ready to enjoy a breezy production in the mist and wind when 10 minutes before the start we were hammered by a long steady squall. They canceled the performance cause there was no let up and more in store. Tiffany modeling her jacket in the test area to check waterproof ness.

Her friends as we waited for the trampling hordes to thin

We were sitting next to a kinda posh looking woman and her daughter, when it started to really rain hard they were scrambling to get covered up with the clothes they brought. Her daughter had nothing for her hair and I offered her my balaclava. They both absolutely lost it, the rain, the cancellation and sitting beside a guy who carries a balaclava, so I told them if they didn't like that one my friend has a thermal one. The poor daughter just sat there holding it and could not stop laughing. What are the odds?

One more glamour shot ending a great night

rockydog screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 01:40 PM
Old 07-30-2013, 05:36 AM   #144
rockydog OP
just a guy

Camp time out

Last Thursday we saddled up and rode to Monmouth, Wales, for an extended weekend of camping. I rode my bike, the rest were in vehicles of every sort. All showed up with tents, bicycles, canoes, kayaks, and tons of food. Loading some boats and gear

Last year Tiffany visited my village over the 4th of July, she was proudly representing the British Isles at our no holds barred parade. Her current RR is about her tour guide gig in South America, check it out. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898547

When she arrived my place was in shambles, so she posts a pic of the mess, and it was still in shambles when she left but we all have bad room days, here's Tiffany's

The Brits have some humongous tents, this was not the largest

Everybody was welcome, friends, relatives, friends of friends enjoyed a couple of days on the river paddling, swimming, hiking, biking, and most jaunts ended up at the pub, which was on the river reachable only by the above means. A mile and a half away.

This bloke had the best approach, start chucking everything out the back until the van is empty

It was a small village of tents, and Saturday night brought showers and the start of a mad pack-up the next day because more on the way

I was known as America, it was Hey America, what do you call this? Or want some tea, America? It was a wonderful in depth immersion into the English culture and a big thanks for the sharing of your friends, Tiffany, a great time.

rockydog screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 12:54 PM
Old 07-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #145
picinisco
Scottish Transplant

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydog View Post
Anybody know what this is? Owner did a frame up restoration, good job. It's a 1954 something and the rear boot reminds me of a 51 Plymouth I had.

1954 Standard 8

Bikes That have Moved On:
1978 Suzuki GS550E, 1978 Kawasaki KZ1000P, 1982 Honda XL500R, 1995 BMW R1100RSL
picinisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #146
rockydog OP
just a guy

Thanks, picinisco, the owner opened up the trunk/boot and pointed out that the corners of the lid were right at forehead level, just beyond the rear bumper, and two of his mates had to get stitches after they ran into one and knocked themselves out. Still a neat car

Old 07-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #147
rockydog OP
just a guy

Back to riding

Almost forgot this is about motorcycle stuff. Tiffany and I went out exploring yesterday, ran into this Kiwi couple at St Buryan parish church. Tiffany said come on over to my house and they pitched their tent in her back yard as they explore the area

No nonsense boot scraper

They are slowly repairing the roof, raising funds as the go

Beautiful, restfull structure

We tried to get to the coast track behind St. Just but a truck was unloading logs for this lady. Her family will cut and sell the logs for firewood. All the trees were used in the tin mines years ago, which was where we were headed for. We went the long route instead

The tin mines throughout the area have been closed for a long time and riding around on the old horse and cart tracks makes one aware of the hard lives the miners had

rockydog screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 04:40 PM
Old 07-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #148
rockydog OP
just a guy

Moseyin' on down the trail

Put on my slicker and hit the trail today. That cowgirl Tiffany has her boots polished and her spurs ajangling down Cornwall way. She cooked up some mighty fine grub for this 2 wheeled drifter, always had a fresh pot of hot tea on the fire and welcomed all who pulled up for a night or two. The part of the camp I laid my head down in was called the Oklahoma room cause over my bedroll hung this magnificent art. I dreamt of little doggies and tumblin' tumbleweeds every night. A big ol' tip of my hat to you, Tiffany, many thanks and happy trails.

Tu amigo, Esteban

Tiffany has a great ride report going about her tour guide stint in S. America, check it out

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898547

rockydog screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 08:11 AM
Old 07-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #149
Aussie hobo
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hi mate I'm still at Martin the root rat's place on the piss intend to get out of here when rain clears , looks like u been busy with travels !
Aussie hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #150
rockydog OP
just a guy

Aussie, good of ya to help Martin. See you on the trail

Leaving S. Cornwall I stopped for one more lighthouse shot

Over the hill where the stacks are is where we were riding the other day

Then up the road from St Just to St. Ives, a beautiful little ride that 3 or 4 riders recommended. The day before stopped by a stone circle close to Penzance, the merry maidens. Cornish stone circles have inspired folk tales of dancing maidens turned to stone for merrymaking on the Sabbath, they even have a bus stop.

After rechecking my want to do list I ended up in Liverpool waiting for a ferry with these folks working on a crossword about Shakespeare, 7 letter word for dumb about Shakespeare? Rockydog

But I do know what is red and boxy and inspired the song 'London Calling!

Got on this boat and caught a late afternoon ride to the Isle of Mann

I headed up the coast hunting for a spot to pitch the tent and the fog landed hard, saw some road construction equipment along the road, settled in and the next morning discovered an electric train station across the road. Neat

Sitting in the Raven Pub writing this, Dcmd and Eyore all you said is true about this Isle. The pub is on 'the' course having an Okell's brew made specially for the pub.

What a spectacular isle. Relaxed, beautiful with superb 2 lane roads and 2 bit towns. Yum

rockydog screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 08:18 AM