User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #166
rockydog OP
just a guy

Oddometer: 795
Fresh update time

Been internetally challenged but back on track, sort of. Left the welcome hearth of Hagg's Bank and headed north on A686 out of Alston up to Bellingham, all great roads. Passed some hikers along Hadrian's Wall, I think, and turned left on the C200 past the Kielder Water lakes.

Shot from a lookout, up a small gravel road, good camp site if you need one. Just past this it turns into Scotland and the road goes to a rough, patched up, narrow single lane with tight blind corners..all the good stuff and I distinctly heard Ed McMann going 'Heeeeeeres Scotland!' lovely intro

Scooted up north to an easy passage around Edinburgh to find a camp spot by the Dundee airport on a bicycle/walker path. Next day my first coffee shop in Scotland, in Forfar. Happy lad

Heading north to a 4 paw drive event and passed through this little village that had a fancy entrance arch

And I wondered why would this small place have such an ornate arch thing, and the reference library was at hand

The librarian had the history down pat

In 1877 Queen Victoria and Alfred stayed in the Inn by the arch and there is still a suite named after them. The town built an arch to honor the occasion. The librarian also had some good scones and coffee

And she said we like our Bud here

I discovered that parts of the country around here resemble Okieland....exactly the same but completely different

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles

rockydog screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 10:32 AM
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #167
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydog View Post
Been internetally challenged but back on track, sort of...
Whew, was starting to think I'd have to start today without my British installment.

The English have such quaint terms..."librarian." Learn something new every day.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #168
rockydog OP
just a guy

On the way to Kintore

I spotted this beaut, never short of radiator fluid

The analog GPS said turn here

For a special stop for me, more later

Old 08-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #169
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Glad you are back online again, missing the daily instalment. Just hope no sheepdogs were found guilty
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #170
rockydog OP
just a guy

Will the real Rocky please stand up?

Awhile back my big, beautiful, black and white Border Collie Rocky went to dogster heaven, and I use Rockydog as my name thing on the Internet. Rocky was my let's go partner, ready to saddle up and explore night or day. I promised to treat him to a Border Collie festival one day so we went to Scotland. My bud...

150 dogs compete, each gets 15 minutes to complete a series of tasks. The top 15 will compete against Irish, Welsh, English dogs for the BIg Dog trophy. The dogs are small, trim, agile and instinctively want to bring the herd to the shepard. Folks would sit in the stands or lawn chairs and watch the trainers and their dogs at work. My ol'dog had zero herding instincts, he would've told me to hire a shepard if I wanted those woolies moved. Quite a treat for me

Typical age is 4-5 years old, some of the top dog s get sold to America for up to $8,000. It's in the breeding. There were 5 cameras going for a 6 program series on BBC starting in January, in Scottish Gaelic. The producer has done this for 6 years, keeping track of every dog's events.

The herdees

As usual, I was ordering morning coffee via room service

Old 08-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #171
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Could be wrong, but I'd guess this is the first time sheepdog trials have appeared in ADVrider. Should've taken a piglet along for a laugh!

http://youtu.be/LGoKKhQPggM

dmcd screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 02:45 PM
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #172
rockydog OP
just a guy

Thanks ya'll, and I had forgotten what a great movie Babe was.

Didn't forget you tho, Saeed, thanks for the compliments

rockydog screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 02:31 AM
Old 08-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #173
rockydog OP
just a guy

I stopped in the Pintore pub and was introduced to a 30ish guy with a tattoo on his arm reading, 'Nurburgring 2010, knee down, 9 minute lap. He rehashed every turn and slide until it was time to head west. Into the rain so not many pics but Scotland deserves it's own trip and discovery, many friendly bikers approached me with great rides they enjoy, areas, and I wish I could accommodate all.

A few days ago in the sun I saw this couple taking pics and offered to shoot both of them, finally got them on their camera in a goofy pose, then got a huge blush from the extremely shy wife as she posed

Portree, packed with travelers for the Highland games,

Had camped in the rain night before, came from this

And headed here

Had to get the castle shot and a beautiful morning shot coming out of the hills to ride by a gorgeous loch

Then down to lunch waiting for the ferry to Mallaig

Eventually tired of the rain and long lines of cars to overtake, checked my iPad map and saw a small road off the A83, which would take me to Glasgow.

Up a small one laner to a gravel road and the first wide spot was dandy.

Woke up early the next morning to the sound of 50 guys or so walking past the tent in the rain, no voices, just boots on gravel. Figured out the buildings across the valley behind me were Army. I think they were insuring it was safe to crawl out of the tent. As soon as I emerged and stretched the automatic small arms firing started and the coffee was extra strong as the sound bounced around. A new way to start my day

I've been sticking pins in my iPad to note my various campsites, this was by the dark green designation of the army land, hmmm, looks like a bear dropped a red berry

rockydog screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 12:05 AM
Old 08-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #174
Ebeo1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Looks like a good ride Martin helped me out with a bike too. You have some gourgouse pictures what do you use to take the pictures and post tot he internet?
Ebeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #175
rockydog OP
just a guy

Thanks, Ebeo1, I admired your RR and miles you covered. Plus you got to stop in Motosapiens Joint in Bulgaria. Here's rtwDoug in my place in Okieland

To your question...keeping it simple with a Canon G9, a Leica X1, IPad 1st edition using Filterstorm and Photobucket.

rockydog screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 05:26 PM
Old 08-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #176
rockydog OP
just a guy

Headed south, skirted Glasgow using my sophisticated get there system. The symbols made sense at the time

And back to the smaller roads. Had volunteered at an upcoming event because I enjoyed the people at the Irish Hubb meeting and thought I'd try to help some more folks do the same by helping out, so I was heading south. Another rain day, caught a break in the showers and stopped to get a pic of the little fence someone had woven

Hit the start button and de nada, pushed the bike to the hill, easy bump start with help of a bicylist and headed into Alston, only 4 miles from the Hagg's Bank Hostel. Was parking on a hill to get some groceries and killed the bike. Coasted down the hill but no juice and no go, key on, in 2nd going pucka-pucka-pucka. Into the gas station by the museum, called Mr Taylor at the Hostel, 'I'll meet you at the pub with some jumper cables'. Check. Quick Guiness, quick charge, quick ride to the hostel and quickly relaxed with a DoomBar beer from Cornwall his friends had brought up from Bristol. Danny ordered a voltage regulatrr from his mate and I helped put up shower curtains. Tomorrow I get to be a dogsbody, as a Cornwallian friend puts it.

rockydog screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 12:20 AM
Old 08-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #177
rockydog OP
just a guy

Just because I can't ride around doesn't mean I'm not on the move. Was curious about all the trees and hedges planted in these green tubes

A little closer reveals this, pretty effective

Worked in the morning with these guys on the fence

After lunch I was moved to the bottom rung of the container painting crew, tried to get fired but the crew chief said just try to get some paint on the container

rockydog screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 12:37 PM
Old 08-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #178
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydog View Post
Just because I can't ride around doesn't mean I'm not on the move. Was curious about all the trees and hedges planted in these green tubes

Weird, I just read an article in our local paper that the city is using these tubes to grow trees in the boulevards, and now they're showing up in my favorite thread!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #179
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,882
Who ever thought that two little islands on the west of Europe could harbor such adventure.
I saw some Americans climbing on a tour bus over the weekend and wondered if they will get as much of a cultural immersion as you are getting.

I hope the bike is running okay.

WW
Old 08-14-2013, 02:26 AM   #180
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
Who ever thought that two little islands on the west of Europe could harbor such adventure.
+1 I'm impressed as well.

What's the plan for the bike at the end of this trip