User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #121
rockydog OP
just a guy

Oddometer: 795
Vertical ditches?

Ireland does not have ditches, they have hedges. Looking at pics or movies it doesn't register that the whole island has hedges instead of fences. I didn't know this. I also didn't know that somebody has to trim them.

One of Martin's day jobs, his tractor has a small control panel with joysticks. The left wall has been treated with Round-Up and the wall will deteriorate over time, I've been told. The road sides of the hedges get trimmed all summer, field sides start after Sept. 1 to allow critters to mature.

The States have similarly rigged mowers but they are usually rotary blades, like a lawnmower, doesn't work too well for seat trimming

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles

rockydog screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 09:00 PM
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #122
rockydog OP
just a guy

1Man2Wheels, thank you, and I've enjoyed your Wordpress blog

Cheers, R-W, something about having a Guiness in Ireland, and if you try to convince anybody over here that it tastes the same in the States, this happens

rockydog screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 03:32 PM
Old 07-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #123
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Hey... that guy up front, better check his ID.
R-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:46 AM   #124
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-W View Post
Hey... that guy up front, better check his ID.
He is only drinking Cidona .The biggest risk with Cidona is making the kids hyper with a sugar overdose as opposed to drunk with any alchohol content
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #125
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyore View Post
He is only drinking Cidona .The biggest risk with Cidona is making the kids hyper with a sugar overdose as opposed to drunk with any alchohol content
Oh OK. Thanks!

Bartender... give that lad a Guinness!
R-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:17 AM   #126
rockydog OP
just a guy

To a fresh Isle

Little earlier today I was here. Map is on it's side cause otherwise I'd be going north.

To avoid the ferry road congestion I headed south to St. Davids, and this place is tourist mecca, packed with walkers and with gorgeous weather. I'm off to Haverfordwest to an independent bookstore to fetch a map

Old 07-22-2013, 01:31 AM   #127
rockydog OP
just a guy

Small small world

At the HU meet I was the Transalp with soft bags, walking back to the bike after posting last blurb a couple stopped and asked me if I had the Transalp with soft bags, yeppers, that's me. Last year they shipped bikes over and rode the TAT. 20 miles from my house, more later about how cool that was.

http://www.onbeing.org/blog/touch-wo...rest-bach/3753

Nothing to do with bikes but a friend sent this link to neat videos, I watched the forest in Japan on the vid after riding through some small gravel roads in some fairyland woods in Wales looking for a spot to camp, and having a bloomin' Starbucks Coffee right now, small small world. Hope ya'll are having a great day.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #128
Chipstick
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hey, Rocky Dog,
Great meeting you yesterday and really hope you can come and spend some time at our place.
We would love the opportunity to repay some of the amazing hospitality we received on our TAT travels last year
Chipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #129
rockydog OP
just a guy

Worst pic ever

But it's what we got. Chipstick, great talk and laughs. These 2 did the TAT, one on a bike like I'm leaning on in the little pic and the other on a GS1200. You guess who rode which. Eyore, you had one.

And I've got you pencilled in on my trek, thanks.

rockydog screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 09:03 PM
Old 07-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #130
rockydog OP
just a guy

Smooth sailing

Talked to a crew member on the ferry, he was enjoying the calm, flat water. We passed from this

To this

People were enjoying the beautiful weather. Some tents were larger than cars.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #131
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Are you missing us over here in Ireland yet.................?? They haven't a clue how to pull a pint of Guinness you know.
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #132
Irish John
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyore View Post
Are you missing us over here in Ireland yet.................?? They haven't a clue how to pull a pint of Guinness you know.
True that!
Irish John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #133
Tiffany
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 1,002
Thumb Homing Pigeon

He's here
I got home from work last night at 10.30pm to find Rockydog with his feet under the table just finishing dinner with my sister and a friend.

And now it's only 7.30am, and he's already been down to the beach. Anyway, I'll leave Stephen to fill in the details of his journey from Wales to Kernow (Cornwall).

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:36 AM   #134
rockydog OP
just a guy

Withdrawal pains?

Eyore, the best way to kick the withdrawal stuff is to find good company to park your bike with

Enjoy a grand meal in a warm, comfy kitchen, sleep hardy and get up to a quiet house. Grab some fresh coffee and head to the beach

And watch the folks roar off to work

Old 07-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #135
rockydog OP
just a guy

Ahhhhh, Cornwall

A quiet day yesterday for awhile, Tiffany sitting at the kitchen table writing updates on her various outlets about her South America trek, etc. I just write about hanging out for a few days around the kitchen table. Last night everybody was around the table, eating, laughs, learning to play the nose flute. Crazy

Had a Guiness yesterday in the village where they shot 'Straw Dogs'. Got up early today and cruised to Land's End before the madding crowd arrived. I pulled the bike into this little round about thing and got one shot off, and some bike riders pulled up and I took their pics, then handed them my camera.

A couple pulled in and politely asked me to move my bike back to the other side of the fence. He pulled out a rack full of small letters and numbers to slide into the sign above my head. As he did this the rack tipped over and spilled all over the pavement. He got some sorted and put the stuff on top of the pole. The bikers got this pic as he told me the second time, and pin-pointed the other side of the fence. You can see his fingers pointing. I'm going 'over there?,

I told him I would help them pick up the letters and moved my bike. It turns out I was in the spot where he shoots pics, lots of pics, and charges good money for them.

His kiosk with the letters sorted

I'm smiling cause the bikers are cracking up, the couple and I are crawling around sorting letters and I mention that it's lucky there are only 26 letters. It could've look like this

I start playing with the apostrophe, comma, and period cards, making designs. The wife joins in and pretty soon we're all laughing. I wind up talking about photography with him. He does weddings and other gigs. We talked a out 8x10 negative contact prints, speed graphic cameras with speed backs, all good times.

Meanwhile I look over athe bikers and get the wink wink nod action as they gots the pics.

rockydog screwed with this post 07-24-2013 at 01:23 PM