User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
El_Duderino OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
The Deciding Factor...

To many of you who decided to do a RTW or an epic overseas riding journey, what were the factors in your lives which convinced you to finally go ahead and do it?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
E-Bum
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
I have never done more than ~35 days at once (Santiago down to Ushuaia, then back up to northern Chile, Antofagasta. ~6k miles total), so I don't know if I qualify to answer your question.

However, I'm looking to head out and live from the moto for 1,2,3 years as soon as I can. Why? Because as someone who is hard to satisfy, I know that the only time I have ever encountered a true 'flow state' has been during summit bids on mountains or churning a two-wheeled beast along the veins of the planet.

So a RTW trip only makes sense now.
E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
ddeitz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Bum View Post
I have never done more than ~35 days at once (Santiago down to Ushuaia, then back up to northern Chile, Antofagasta. ~6k miles total), so I don't know if I qualify to answer your question.

However, I'm looking to head out and live from the moto for 1,2,3 years as soon as I can. Why? Because as someone who is hard to satisfy, I know that the only time I have ever encountered a true 'flow state' has been during summit bids on mountains or churning a two-wheeled beast along the veins of the planet.

So a RTW trip only makes sense now.

That and, do you have anything else better to be doing?
ddeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
It reminds me of my decision of getting a motorcycle license and getting a motorcycle.

I was always drawn to it, I would think about it, I would daydream about it, then I would forget it for a little while, but every so often my daydreams would start again.

And one ordinary day, I finally pull the trigger. It was not be the best timing, it was not the best set up, it was not the optimal method. But one day things started to roll forward, turning a daydream into reality. There was no specific reason.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
I'm of the philosophy of setting both personal and professional goals on an ongoing basis. I'm fortunate to have a wife with the same mind set. goal of motorcycle travel was set together with a time frame. We made it happen and had an amazing time. It strengthened our relationship as well. We are back in the real world with a new goal that we are working towards.

All depends on priorities and what's important to you.
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
Freedom! And nothing tying me down (kids, gf etc)

I have not done an extended trip but im slowly acquiring gear and things to make it happen. I just bought my second motorcycle ever (2004 KLR650) and I've been wanting to travel got the last few years. Mix that with the love of being on two wheels, im ready to hit the road later this year. The only thing I really have planned so far is to heard south. Oregon, Cali, then hopefully keep going south to central America and see why happens. Im even thinking of selling my bike once I reach a point and flying to Australia.

Everyone says "just do it"... So im trying to prepare and make a dream a reality. Really the only deciding factor is how bad do you wanna do it...

Cheers!
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote