Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
backroadbill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
How much better is the LED headlight on new GS?

I buying one (there's a wait) and thinking about the headlight option, is it worth it?
backroadbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
JSkinner
SeattleRider

Oddometer: 32
Do it

The styling of the LED will set your bike apart from the rest. It is truly badass IMO. On the tech side I would say the lighting is good. The high beam really throws the light down the road and illuminates everything.
JSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,103
It's that or buy H-7's buy the bucket..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
I bought one with a normal headlight because I didn't want to wait for a bike. I really wanted the LED, but riding was more important.

I'm sure it's badass, but so is riding.

As for the H7s by the bucket, well that's just a bit of a stretch. I do truly believe I will eventually drop a large chunk of cash to swap in the LED someday as I'm a tech nerd, but in the meantime I'd rather ride. Further, the difference between the Premium Plus and the Premium is only about 300 less than the cost of just buying the LED headlight parts. Sure you get TPMS too, but most complain about it. I could care less about having it. In my mind, the cost of the LEDs will likely come down a bit after they've been out for a while leaving the cost to upgrade later very likely about the same as buying a whole bike, and WAITING, for one now.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
I bought one with a normal headlight because I didn't want to wait for a bike. I really wanted the LED, but riding was more important.

I'm sure it's badass, but so is riding.

As for the H7s by the bucket, well that's just a bit of a stretch. I do truly believe I will eventually drop a large chunk of cash to swap in the LED someday as I'm a tech nerd, but in the meantime I'd rather ride. Further, the difference between the Premium Plus and the Premium is only about 300 less than the cost of just buying the LED headlight parts. Sure you get TPMS too, but most complain about it. I could care less about having it. In my mind, the cost of the LEDs will likely come down a bit after they've been out for a while leaving the cost to upgrade later very likely about the same as buying a whole bike, and WAITING, for one now.
Ok..you got me..by the box..

I get about....4-6 months from a bulb..just changed one yesterday..I never leave on a trip without two..

I agree..not worth waiting for, especially if you have to get the damn TPS with them..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
nickgoa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
For me the LED was a must and the only reason I didn't ride off the lot of the dealer with their demo as I was present at their unboxing of it...

I had to wait 3 months (still waiting) but for me it is totally justified.

The LED light is what this model is going to be remembered by. Resale value will be higher.
Those who have it have said its worth the extra expense and everyone praises the beam it throws.

As a tech nerd myself the lack of it was a deal breaker.
nickgoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Ok..you got me..by the box..

I get about....4-6 months from a bulb..just changed one yesterday..I never leave on a trip without two..

I agree..not worth waiting for, especially if you have to get the damn TPS with them..
On my oil cooler, I was getting about the same before swapping the HIDs, but I was never happy with those so I won't do that again.

The thing that kills those bulbs is the constant dimming and brightening (is that a word?) the system does every time the bike idles or revs. The new bike does not do this at all. I do a bunch of night riding and I've never noticed the lights dim even a little. This more constant output should keep the bulb alive longer.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
Hicks
der Überluber

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSkinner View Post
The styling of the LED will set your bike apart from the rest. It is truly badass IMO. On the tech side I would say the lighting is good. The high beam really throws the light down the road and illuminates everything.
+1.

get a full-led variant. for sure.

Without that C-shaped daylight, it's not a proper LC :P

Hicks screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 12:14 AM
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:01 AM   #9
Perspicacious
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
LED rocks!

I ride a lot at might on unlit country roads. The LED is the best motorcycle headlight I have used. Period.

Just upgraded from a F800GS. Light on the F800 were average for a motorcycle, which is to say it was dreadful. Barely acceptable if the weather was fine but with a bit fog or rain, downright scary.

The R1200 headlight (which I have ridden in fog and rain in the week I've owned it) is in quite unbelievable. The high beam is wonderful. Was going to get some Baja Designs Squadron LEDs but the standard BMW LED is so good I think I won't bother.
Perspicacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #10
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Best lights on any bike I have ridden and most cars too.

I love the beam pattern, kind of like a big ass rectangle right out front and the reach/range is excellent.

I also love the completely white colour, turns night into day.

2013 R1200 GS WC
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
feldjäger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by backroadbill View Post
I buying one (there's a wait) and thinking about the headlight option, is it worth it?

The LED light is great on the new GS. Oh and there is no wait in Vegas for one, so good time for a road trip!
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #12
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,701
Go for the LED.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:18 AM   #13
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspicacious View Post
I ride a lot at might on unlit country roads. The LED is the best motorcycle headlight I have used. Period.
+1. Have done quite a bit of night riding with a friend who's got one, extremely impressive.
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:39 AM   #14
Hicks
der Überluber

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspicacious View Post

Just upgraded from a F800GS. Light on the F800 were average for a motorcycle, which is to say it was dreadful. Barely acceptable if the weather was fine but with a bit fog or rain, downright scary.

The R1200 headlight (which I have ridden in fog and rain in the week I've owned it) is in quite unbelievable. The high beam is wonderful. Was going to get some Baja Designs Squadron LEDs but the standard BMW LED is so good I think I won't bother.
800's headlight was not bad, imho. Until the reflective paint departed :P

LC's led is imho not that wonderful, but especially on the high beam... it's pretty good.

Not a xenon though.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #15
coach03860
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
They had a few Demo GSW's outfitted with the new lights at Americade last week. I rode two of them (a red and a silver bike on 2 separate days) but of course it was in broad daylight so I have no idea what the lights are like at night. However they sure do look cool from the front even in the day light...if that matters.

Was looking for that so much hyped difference between the new GSW and my 2012 GS...but never really found it aside from some new "Bells and Whistles" and it does shift somewhat smoother. In the end however, I am very happy to be sticking with my '12 GS with Wilbers set up specifically for my size/weight and the Madstad windshield as it sure handles a lot better than either of those stock ASA GSW's did. Expecting to be flamed any minute now...Cheers coach
And well over a dozen other bikes bought and sold that I loose track of...but my wife constantly reminds me of
coach03860 is offline   Reply With Quote