User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
Hackpirate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
97 KVF 400 ATV Prairie Cam Timing

It ran perfect before I tore the top end apart for a leaking cyl. base gasket.

My problem...

Cam sprocket timing line must line up with top plane of head when flywheel is on the "T" mark, as per Kawi manual.

My problem: With flywheel on the mark the "line" is just above the plane and if you move it one tooth it is below the plane.

I put it together with the line above the plane and it starts and runs fine but no power. Haven't tried it with it below the line.

This is a super low mileage atv so worth the effort although old. Yes, its possible the chain is stretched, but it ran terrific before and appears to be like new as does the sprocket.

So WTF? If I'm missing something simple school me. Don't tell me I should have zipped tied the chain and sprocket together or made marks on them, I don't know wtf I was thinking when I pulled it apart.

Help an inmate, Thanks!
Hackpirate
Hackpirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,643
Definitely go back in and move one tooth. My cam timing was off by one tooth and I rode it around thinking I had a different problem.

See if someone with a similar model can take a pic of the cams with the timing mark at the right spot, that's partially how I decided I was one tooth off on my cam timing, the angle of the cams .

Old 06-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Hackpirate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Thanks AJ

I moved it one tooth and now it runs fine but the line still was not parallel with the top of the head, but it was close. Since it didn't run right one tooth the other way it must be as close as it is going to get.
Hackpirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackpirate View Post
Thanks AJ

I moved it one tooth and now it runs fine but the line still was not parallel with the top of the head, but it was close. Since it didn't run right one tooth the other way it must be as close as it is going to get.
There are punch marks on both my cams, and on the cam gears, the punch marks are to be aligned, punched tooth into a double-punched gap. I've put my cams in twice with those punch marks perfectly aligned and both time the bike ran like crap. Both times, I moved 1 tooth on the exhaust cam, and the bike is a beast. So all I can say is, the marks from the factory are not always right.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,196
Well now you know to scribe your own lines when working on older stuff. Is there a procedure for installing or re-installing a chain that requires a tensioner to be loosened or held out of the way? That's about the only suggestion I have but congrats on getting it running.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote