User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
AtlasExp OP
beer me

Oddometer: 417
Perfect waterproof, warm and packable jacket

Hello every one! I am looking for waterproof, warm and packable jacket. Any ideas, advice and links will be appreciated by every adventure rider! I am looking at this one
http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/pr...mPathInfo=null

AtlasExp screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 09:57 AM
AtlasExp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Waterproof, warm, & packable are all important. In fact, I'd call them numbers 3, 4 & 5 in importance. Numbers 1 & 2 are impact & abrasion resistance. I suspect that the jacket shown is kind of short on both. (if you're wearing Kevlar & armor underneath, just ignore this response.)
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,897
This jacket could make a good mid layer under a sturdy motorcycle jacket with the right amount of impact protection.

But please...choose another color...

Old 06-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
keiji
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
That jacket is water resistant, not waterproof-the marketing literature only claims a durable water repellent which is not enough to stay dry on a motorcycle.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
AtlasExp OP
beer me

I need jacket to wear at camping and may be as a warm layer if needed. Not as a motorcycle jacket. Any advice?
Old 06-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,444
I'd suggest a Goretex Paclite shell (eg, Marmot Minimalist), with a visored hood and pit-zips, and then use separate insulating layers like a lightweight Primaloft "sweater" and/or vest (eg, Patagonia Nano Puffs). All three weigh in ~ 2 lbs and will pack in the volume of about 2.5 grapefruits and leave you lots of layering options for broad temp ranges. I always use the sweater/vest combo (together, or either one separately) under my riding jacket for the chillier rides, and stuff the unused in my tankbag. These three are my traveling staples, whether by moto, train, air, etc.

Down versions are warmer and lighter, but of course are useless if they get wet, and a PITA to wash.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
AtlasExp OP
beer me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
I'd suggest a Goretex Paclite shell (eg, Marmot Minimalist), with a visored hood and pit-zips, and then use separate insulating layers like a lightweight Primaloft "sweater" and/or vest (eg, Patagonia Nano Puffs). All three weigh in ~ 2 lbs and will pack in the volume of about 2.5 grapefruits and leave you lots of layering options for broad temp ranges. I always use the sweater/vest combo (together, or either one separately) under my riding jacket for the chillier rides, and stuff the unused in my tankbag. These three are my traveling staples, whether by moto, train, air, etc.

Down versions are warmer and lighter, but of course are useless if they get wet, and a PITA to wash.
Thanks for your input!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
I had trouble finding my "perfect" jacket for under the real jacket. For warm and packable, I can't beat a minimalist down shirt/jacket. I usually just carry a small down vest, it packs into nothing. Down serves another benefit: you can sleep in it and therefore bring a warmer temp (smaller) sleeping bag. For waterproof the frog toggs are onboard, to keep the down completely dry.

When I only expect warm weather(nothing below 45 deg), it's fleece jacket with softshell shoulders/chest. Windproof enough to wear under the mesh-paneled jacket, but breathes better than the zip-in plastic liner. It doesnt pack up as small, but it dries very quickly if damp, and I look like a normal person wearing it off the bike.
DaymienRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
so you don't want it used on the bike at all? And just to hang around the campsite? Then you don't need a $200 goretex jacket.

Hell a poncho will do.

By the way, where in Brooklyn are ya?
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,409
Snapper has it right!

Look at REI outlet,Sierra Trading Post,Campsaver and lots of other sites for discount new gear.

Geartrade website has used gear,leftover gear at often great prices.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
AtlasExp OP
beer me

My idea is to use it on multi day trips as a destination jacket at campfire. Also good if I can use same jacket under my Klim Badlands pro as a warm layer. Need to be waterproof and packable.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
AtlasExp OP
beer me

I am in Bay Ridge near Verrazano bridge.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #13
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasExp View Post
I am in Bay Ridge near Verrazano bridge.
Ahh cool, I was just there. I'm just a few minutes from ya.

Take a ride out to Campmor.

There is also a new REI up the block from them and an EMS right next door.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:53 AM   #14
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,368
+1. This is the set up I use. Gives the greatest flexibility for conditions. You'll be raining inside your insulated rain coat when the temps are too warm and the rain is coming down. I picked up two EMS Ascent pullovers on closeout for half price earlier this year. I got one sized to go over the compression jacket for riding and one for normal wear. Synthetic fill, water resistant coating for the light sprinkles, and totally stops the wind. I'm wearing it in the NEK group shot for a visual, though I think they only offer the jacket version now. Save yourself some dough too, if your raincoat is just for standing around, any good quality packable and ventable jacket will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post

AdvRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #15
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
so you don't want it used on the bike at all? And just to hang around the campsite? Then you don't need a $200 goretex jacket.

Hell a poncho will do.

By the way, where in Brooklyn are ya?

+1 on the poncho

use a windproof fleece for under your motorcycling jacket and for hanging around the campsite.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote