User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
atwoodtja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
GSW/GS-LC 12k service thread

Opened for comments on watercooled service results if anyone has them.

I just finished up most of mine, except for putting the oil back in and changing the brake fluid (dealer said to skip the 6k change). Final
drive, valve check, air filter, spark plugs, oil change.

Valves were in spec, and not just within but in the middle of the range (.13 mm for all intakes,.36/.38 for the exhaust valves on each side). My dealer said that only one or two out of several dozen 12k LCs has needed an adjustment so far.

Only a few oops all day:
-some skinned knuckles pulling off one of the crash bars (for the first time, but then again its not really your bike until you've bled on it a little)
-they didn't send me a crush washer for the oil drain like I expected; in the process of heating the old one to try and reuse it, it melted (I didn't notice it was aluminum), so I need to make a trip to the dealer.
- the center screw holding the tank fairing on had a munged thread when I pulled it out, so I had to fix the threads, which took an extra 20 minutes after I dropped a socket down into the bike in the process.

This bike is so easy to work on compared to a Ducati (or Kawasakis).

Pics, if these work:
If you don't have the official coil puller, this works great:

Final drive oil:

Only gotcha if you don't have the service manual is that you have to remove these two flat rubber blockers that are mounted to the bottom of each cam tower in order to measure the rear exhaust valves. They just pop right off, not sure what they're for.

The pressure valves hooked to the exhaust cams have little roller bearings that stick up slightly from the surface of the cam lobe. Those are what makes the bike tick so charmingly

Take it from a MechE, its a gorgeous motor inside. If you haven't planned to wrench on yours, you're really missing out.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,654
Thanks for the report.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
atwoodtja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry about the pics, I was in a rush to get out the door.

Here is the shadetree mechanic coil remover:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=photo%2c.jpg
Old 07-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,252
Related: comments and pics of my '13 12K service at http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gsw/2...0-12k-service/
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
atwoodtja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I also forgot to report: my old plugs were very light colored, so the bike appears to run pretty lean, not unexpected. That's why it sips gas compared to some of the other 1200 advs, I guess, and why I can occasionally feel a bit of lean surging.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Related: comments and pics of my '13 12K service at http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gsw/2...0-12k-service/
Nice write up. When I did the cam timing check on my bike the left cams were slightly off as well. I also noticed the change in timing with the tensioner tool compared to the unpressurized engine chain tesioner.

In my case the adjustment produced several beneficial improvements. The idle was more steady and smooth. Low speed light throttle such as traveling through 25 mph zones was greatly improved from the light surging before the adjustment. Like you I sensed an improved engine smoothness through the 3k to 6K RPM range on moderate throttle. Perhaps my factory setting was off more than your experience, but the improvement was noticeable. It's been 5K miles since the cam timing and it seems to be running the same as when first adjusted. I will check this every 12K service involving the valve check procedure.The normal chain stretch can be adjusted through this procedure to maintain accurate cam timing.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Nice write up. Did you order the TDC tool and timing jig from BMW? or did you have another source? TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #8
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideLD View Post
Nice write up. Did you order the TDC tool and timing jig from BMW? or did you have another source? TIA
I ordered them from A&S via their web interface. They are not stocked. The jig and TDC tool arrived a few weeks after placing the order. The third (tensioner tool) was back ordered and took about 5 months to be delivered.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote