Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,513
autorouting GPS machines

Which Garmin GPS machines support autorouting?
XRman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
Which Garmin GPS machines support autorouting?
I believe they all do, the question is which maps do.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
To the best of my knowledge all current Garmin GPS units will autoroute if loaded with maps that support autorouting.
Nuvi
Zumo
Oregon
Montana
GPSMAP 62 & 78

Some are sold with street level detail autorouting maps preloaded, some have low detail autorouting basemaps and some have no autorouting maps as sold (but they can be added). Two decisions, which unit and which maps best meet your needs. Then lots of practice to be most effective.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
Some are sold with street level detail autorouting maps preloaded, some have low detail autorouting basemaps. Bruce
Bruce,

My 76Cx has AMR Standard Autoroute Basemap, NR 3.00. Just got a 78 which has Worldwide DEM Basemap, NR which will not autoroute.

Do you know how to get 76 base map into 78?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Jerry, sorry I don't know if that can be done but suspect there is a way.
Any new GPS I buy will get a new version of CN as my current one is now 2 1/2 years old and the lock used, so a non issue for me. Not sure as I don't use them but some of the open source maps may do routing now.

I have been following you posts on the 78 and am looking forward to hearing more after some field use. I have kind of gotten use to new models from Garmin being 2 steps forward and 1 backward. I'm still pissed about them removing the ability to control the display of contour lines as last seen on the GPSMAP V!

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 10:16 AM
Old 06-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
I have kind of gotten use to new models from Garmin being 2 steps forward and 1 backward. I'm still pissed about them removing the ability to control the display of contour lines as last seen on the GPSMAP V! Bruce
More like 1 forward (more track memory) and 1 backward (loss of several features). Just got e-mail from friend with 78, he says same thing 78 for scouting and old 76Cx for riding planed trips or events.

Probably time to let it go about Map V!
Old 06-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Probably time to let it go about Map V!
Yeah, I think you are right. I got a little hope when I found BaseCamp PC had the option to turn them off but alas none of the new units do.

Bruce
Old 06-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #8
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks

Thanks for your replies. To get my head around this, by auto- routing do you mean being able to select a start and finish point and let the machine find a road route, rather than as the crow flies route.?
Old 06-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for your replies. To get my head around this, by auto- routing do you mean being able to select a start and finish point and let the machine find a road route, rather than as the crow flies route.?

Yes, short version;

Auto-routing is asking the GPS to calculate an on the road route based on the map used and the GPS (and it's settings). Depending on what user info is inputed the GPS then chooses which roads and what turns will be used which is great if you don't have a clue but personal knowledge almost always trumps the choices made by the GPS.

A straight line route is usually referred to as a "direct route" or "off-road route" which is in essence a bearing & distance to some point (or series of points). Often used on large bodies of water, in the air and obviously off-road.

Typically auto-routing by the GPS is a somewhat dynamic function (which some find frustrating), for a more permanent static path use "tracks" instead.

Many insist on auto-routing as opposed to tracks for a specific path they wish to follow because the navigation prompts/info are more elaborate (turn by turn and distance/time info) when using a "route" vs "track".

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 11:50 AM
Old 06-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You may want to learn more about Tracks considering where you live. You get them from others or hand draw them on PC but the big thing is you don't even need maps in your GPS to use them.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
You are basically correct in saying that autorouting means you can pick a starting point and a finish point and the software will plot a route along roads between them.

Unfortunately the route it picks is seldom a very desirable one for any kind of Adventure ride. To fix this you just pick intermediate points to force the autorouting to go where you want it to.

I use this a lot in trip planning. You can convert the resulting route into a track. You can do this directly in Basecamp. If you are using Mapsource, you can use the 3rd party software WinGDB3 to do the conversion. Or you can just hand draw the track over the route.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks again

I have worked out how to auto-route on my 62S now.

I am pretty new at using basecamp, but it seems straight forward. I have been using Ozi-explorer in a very basic way to make routes with intermediate waypoints. This program is way more complex than I need so I might stick with Basecamp in future.