Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
CousinDave OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
1150GS - Isle of Man - 120mph! - video - so fun to see!

Found this video on youtube. R1150GS on Isle of Man TT circuit. It's really fun to see a gent "exercise" his 1150GS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Cu8BZJ_hw

I've never, and might never, open up my 1150 like him, but still... Question? His speedo taps 120mph a couple times in this video. Is he red-lining his 5th gear, or is it his 6th gear when he hits 120?
CousinDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233

Ua the Destroyer screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 02:30 PM
Ua the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
Jazz62
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
ugh - nevermind

Jazz62 screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 12:46 AM
Jazz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:40 AM   #4
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,313
That's Paul Young, we've posted those videos on the forum for years. He came around for a while.

You must be a mighty smooth, fearless rider to critique Paul's riding.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:01 AM   #5
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
I don't see much wrong with it. Some corners are blind and some aren't, its a two way road in this video, other videos may have been recorded while the road is one way. Some corners he didn't need to cut because he is only doing around 100-110, most of the time, especially up the mountain mile it is wise to leave room for the 180 men. Some lefts you stay wide as there are often people stopping for pictures of famous bits, etc, etc.

About 2006 I was on the IOM on a 1200 bandit, going around Quarry Bends, which is one of my favourite bits, at around 100 mph. I was overtaken by a 1200 GSA with full luggage and a pillion, I wonder if Paul bought a GSA? ;-)
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:10 AM   #6
drrod1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
I don't see much wrong with it. Some corners are blind and some aren't, its a two way road in this video, other videos may have been recorded while the road is one way. Some corners he didn't need to cut because he is only doing around 100-110, most of the time, especially up the mountain mile it is wise to leave room for the 180 men. Some lefts you stay wide as there are often people stopping for pictures of famous bits, etc, etc.

;-)
I just got back from the IoM and couldn't agree more. The "perfect" racing line and technique are not usually the smart thing to do when there are so many variables that you may encounter. I did several laps with the new water boxer GS and it handled things very well considering. Managed 120 mph indicated a few times on the mountain but no matter how fast you are (or think you are) there are always those who are faster. WAAAY faster!!!! Given the number of bikes and the wide disparity of type and rider talent, I find in almost astounding that there isn't more carnage. Making the mountain one-way has certainly helped.

Certainly a must see and do.

Rod
drrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:12 AM   #7
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
That's Paul Young, we've posted those videos on the forum for years. He came around for a while.

You must be a mighty smooth, fearless rider to critique Paul's riding.
This is the 'Internetz, everyone is an expert and no slower than Rossi while armchair racin'
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #8
Goat_locker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Seriously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ua the Destroyer View Post
I don't know. It's exciting but still some garbage riding.
Why would you even post this? He was riding fine for the conditions.
Goat_locker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #9
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ua the Destroyer View Post
I don't know. It's exciting but still some garbage riding. I usually expect more from our brothers across the pond. I'd love to do mad Sunday on the isle someday, but I've seen video of better lines chosen on that route with smoother and better riding at those speeds. I usually am in sixth to hit that high a speed to answer your question.
Please post video of you, at those speeds...thanks.

n00bs....
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Wow that was fun. Guessing he was not on TKC's!
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
99p38a
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Let's make this thread fun!

What kind of OIL do you think he uses to run those RPMS for that amount of time.
99p38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
CousinDave OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Thanks for the connection BobbySands! Searching Paul's name I was able to find a few highly entertaining posts here on ADVrider.

My riding experience is FAR from pro... which means I am NOT qualified to say a dang thing about his abilities. It'd be nice if others would follow that same rule of thumb. But I CAN give praise! I find Paul's IOM riding videos to be exciting and inspirational. It's a cool proof of what the very same bike I ride to work on every day can do in capable hands.

For anyone that want's to say Paul is being careless, reckless, irresponsible, etc... again, I can't speak to the technicality of it, but this is Isle of Man DURING an organized event. The riders (including Paul) accept a risk to partake in the experience. And without men like Paul putting their necks out in front chasing their passions (not responsibilities) the only record holders in our history books would be the fastest thumb suckers.

Also, it is completely apparent that Paul is not haphazardly throwing himself on the circuit just to see what happens. He has studied and ridden it for years. He has adjusted and setup his bike to accomplish this task the best way he can. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't bother with those things if he wasn't concerned with his and others safety.

And just because I have to... If his ridding was garbage, and he was only overtaken once during this sequence on the amazing IOM circuit (which he later passes again anyway), then I don't even want to know what we'd call the riding skillz of the rest of us!

Now, on to my original post. I'm on an 02' 1150GS (not GSA) USA. The fastest I've ever gotten her up to is an indicated 110mph. At this point I don't recall being close to the red line. I'm wondering if my 6th gear (over-drive) is different than Paul's? Or was I just so concentrated at that speed that I didn't notice?

Thanks!
CousinDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,313
Here's one of the threads:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66043

One from Paul Young:

Quote:
There's loads more about all this here .

Glad you enjoyed it &, yes, it was an 1150. The guy on the CBR400 was the owner of the camcorder strapped to my tank & was ribbed mercilessly when we showed the footage at the hotel that night.

To summarise some of the more dangerous aspects, it was filmed in the Isle of Man at the TT races last summer. There is no speed limit after the hairpin bend & until you reach Creg-ny-baa, where I pass the RSV. You ride to your own, personal limits & I was averaging around 6 laps/day most days, riding with friends on sportsbikes (Gixer thou's, etc). The view from the camera is very different from the riders viewpoint & I have two rules I always follow.

1. Only cross the centre line when you can see it is safe to do so - I can see across corners where I cut to the right of the centre line.
2. Never exit a left hander so fast that I can't stay in the left half of the road on the exit.

I often approach a left hander from the right hand side of the road & vary the amount I cross the centre line by, depending on the visibility available. Sometimes, I can be in the right hand gutter, other times, I don't cross at all. It's all about getting the best possible view of the road ahead & I've spent years going to the TT & learning by following better riders than me, getting up at 6am to do two laps (37.73 miles/lap) before they serve breakfast at the hotel....... If you ever get the chance to enjoy this yourself, do it.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Here's one of the threads:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66043

One from Paul Young:
Well I'll be humble and admit I was wrong. I ddindt mean riding ability. What I meant was garbage and not smooth, was crossing the center line for corners when there is oncoming traffic. I'm just not a fan of crossing the center line. Ill delete my post since you're right it doesn't contain anything positive.

Ua the Destroyer screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 02:36 PM
Ua the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,533
The video was freaking me out, but only because they drive on the wrong side of the road. I would be hamburger there, because I'd forget the whole stay left thing and end up as a hood ornament.

For speeds, I know on a GSA, I don't think you have much left at a true 120mph. 6th is a little shorter. Hard to say what Paul's actual speed is, given how far the speedo typically is. At those speeds, I'm sure it would be reading 10mph higher than actual (though his is in kms.). His GS might be able to do another 10mph faster than the GSA due to the gearing?
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote