User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
Tasmania - Riding Recommendations and Bike Rentals

My wife and I are returning to Tasmania in early 2014 for a wedding (not ours!) and would like to ride around Tasmania over roughly a 2 week time period. Since we've already done it by car, we have some familiarity with the island, but would like inmates perspective on don't miss items and routing by motorcycle. Also, is there any other bike rental business other than Motoadventure.com.au (I have nothing against them, just looking for options).

Thanks for any help, and if you need any similar assistance for riding in the USA, feel free to contact me.

Tim
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
Rob-Roamin
Knees in the breeze

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
My wife and I are returning to Tasmania in early 2014 for a wedding (not ours!) and would like to ride around Tasmania over roughly a 2 week time period. Since we've already done it by car, we have some familiarity with the island, but would like inmates perspective on don't miss items and routing by motorcycle. Also, is there any other bike rental business other than Motoadventure.com.au (I have nothing against them, just looking for options).

Thanks for any help, and if you need any similar assistance for riding in the USA, feel free to contact me.

Tim
Tim
Get hold of the latest australian motorcycle atlas (200 top rides) (hemamaps.com.au) which lists descriptions of about 30 rides including maps
In 2 weeks you could ride all of them
I have riden most and can recommend them all! ( expect to see some rain and cold temperatures)
The Tasmanian tourist bureau will have lots of information about things to see and do - depends on your personal tastes
Enjoy your trip
Rob-Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
livo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
I've got the atlas and am planning out my trip at the moment. What time of the year did you go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-Roamin View Post
Tim
Get hold of the latest australian motorcycle atlas (200 top rides) (hemamaps.com.au) which lists descriptions of about 30 rides including maps
In 2 weeks you could ride all of them
I have riden most and can recommend them all! ( expect to see some rain and cold temperatures)
The Tasmanian tourist bureau will have lots of information about things to see and do - depends on your personal tastes
Enjoy your trip
Old 06-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Rob-Roamin
Knees in the breeze

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by livo View Post
I've got the atlas and am planning out my trip at the moment. What time of the year did you go?
I went in September / October
I'm thinking of another trip next year in february
December to march is generally the warmest period
There is a saying "there is no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing" - probably quite approproriate when planning a motorcycle trip to Tasmania
Rob-Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Fossilator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:

Tim
Tim

Check out the Tas riders hub in advrider, http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218696) very first page has a list of RR, post in the hub & you'll get plenty of replies
Cheers

Stephen
Fossilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,662
Bull 600's ride

Take a look at Bull600's ride reports. There is one on Tasmania. The GPX file is at www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #7
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the tips so far. I'll check them out.

Tim
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 06-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #8
AdvParamedic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Wink

Quote:

Tim
I went with Charley Boorman on his Tasmania and the High Country tour as their Paramedic and tracked everyday of the tour. I could post the route if you like? I also went on the Sydney to the Outback and have the route we took.

:)
Old 06-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #9
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.

Oddometer: 1,840
I've been to Tassie 6 times.
Only once riding a bike, the other times were wilderness trips.

A fantastic place.

My bike trip report.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735949

Eaglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #10
livo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
That would be awesome if you could post up the route. Maybe create a new thread for it? Or chuck it somewhere in the Tasmania hub (mentioned above^^^^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvParamedic View Post
I went with Charley Boorman on his Tasmania and the High Country tour as their Paramedic and tracked everyday of the tour. I could post the route if you like? I also went on the Sydney to the Outback and have the route we took.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #11
AdvParamedic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Bicheno

The biggest tip i can give you is to go to Bicheno and meet the Mayor!
Awesome bike culture there and he is a really lovely frenchman!

and don't forget the museum !

all in all it was an absolutely amazing trip ! Here's was the crew

AdvParamedic screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 01:09 AM
AdvParamedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:47 AM   #12
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvParamedic View Post

I'm open to all tips including the Sydney trip. We'll be on the main part of Australia for a few weeks as well. I'm not sure if we'll motorcycle there or not. The things we want to see are pretty far apart.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100