Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #16
DocAxeYarYar OP
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 746
Gunslinger's Divide Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Riding down those dirt roads are beginning to get to me! All of these many many years of street riding and now the urge hits me to go with a dual/sport bike like yours! Hmmmm? Where do I start I wonder? (Going on 70 yrs. old.)

Thanks for taking the time to do this since it's very interesting.......
Oldone, glad your enjoying the report! Jump into DS riding you will love it!
Start out with an easy to learn and ride bike, a Honda or Yamaha 250, and take a dirt bike riding class!
Old 06-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #17
Rutsref
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Great Start

Subscribed, and thanks for the mix of humor drama and lots of "pitchures".
Old 06-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #18
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,253
Lovin' it! Keep in coming
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #19
DocAxeYarYar OP
RideDualSport.com

Gunslinger's Divide Ride

Day 3 finds us all refreshed and ready to hit the dirt outside of Datil. We do a quick drive by of Pie Town, and come across the windmill museum just before Pie Town. Its an odd collection, the work of someone truly obsessed!

Here we are now picking up the motorcycle version of the Continental Divide Trail, which at some times actually goes on the same roads bicycles use, and diverges on its own. Our goal is to hit Grants, top up and refresh, then on to Cuba.

We hit the Chain of Craters Byway, a moon-scape desert like plateau, which when wet becomes an impassable bog. This proves to be a beautify ride, its sunny but cool, perfect riding weather which keeps the motorcycles happy.

After a time, we arrive into more beautiful rock formations and peaks. This is a very surreal landscape – seems desolate which I love, and little used. But, signs of life appear from time to time, ranch land, mines and a few trucks here and there. But overall, you have the vast roads all to yourself not a soul in sight. This kind of isolation even surpasses Texas, which has the size, but not the public access to so much land.

We emerge in Grants where we are ready to eat and top up! Always picking local over any chain restaurant pays off again, as we hit a local Torta and Burger place! The staff was super friendly and the waitresses two little boys help us out and were endlessly fascinated with these too “rough and tough” guys all dusty, dirty and on big dirt bikes. Their bright eyes and eager to please service earned them extra tips!

Best onion rings EVER!

UlyBrad living on the egde with the “everything” combo Torta with home cut fries.

Needing a quart of oil for his KTM, we made a quick stop at the first motorcycle shop we saw but UlyBrad was told “we don’t work on metrics…” so off the auto parts store down the road. Oh well, for the better if UlyBrad put some HD oil in his KTM it might have thrown its rod.

After Grants, we make the next leg to Cuba, where I have fears that the Thompson Ridge wildfire may set us off course, but these prove unfounded. Lucky that none of the fires in NM affected us, did not even see some smoke. That’s what gave rise to the “Born Again” Gunslinger’s Divide Ride because two years ago me and my twin bro had to abort the route…..and the GSDR is resurrected! Amen!

Just a few miles outside of Cuba we score a great Nat Forest campground for the night….with cold well water to do a “French sponge bath” in with some Doctor Bonners soap! I offered some Dr. Bonners to UlyBrad, but he passed for his more manly “Dove” for sensitive skin.

UlyBrad now excelling in finding all kinds of ways to hold up his KTM for the next week!

We settle in for a mixed buffet for dinner: sardines, oysters, slim jims and chips….all washed down with a 24 oz Tecate I stuffed in my Camelbak, along with some ice to keep it cold! Thankfully I was not carded in Cuba like I was in Ruidoso, where my temporary Tx DL was "not good enough" for selling a beer to a scruffy 51 year old biker....

The next day finds us finally hitting some higher elevations and forests that will track right up on the CDT!
Old 06-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #20
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 17,988
You guys look like you have been having a blast so far!
Old 06-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,593
For sure a fun read. Do you have tracks of this ride? Looks like some good fun out of CO to NM.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #22
DocAxeYarYar OP
RideDualSport.com

Gunslinger's Divide Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
For sure a fun read. Do you have tracks of this ride? Looks like some good fun out of CO to NM.
Yes I have tracks, I can make them available.....might need a bit of cleaning up. I can PM you when they are in good shape....
Old 06-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #23
DocAxeYarYar OP
RideDualSport.com

Gunslinger's Divide Ride

Day 4 finds us ready to hit the road after staying at the nice Clear Creek Campground off of 126 outside of Cuba. Being all refreshed were ready to make some time in our first real forest riding….but….I cant find the forest road that cuts north up to the CDT track!

This was frustrating, because I zoomed all the way into the GPS, which showed the road I should make a right turn on to head up into the hills. I pass it by several times and stop right where I should see a road….but none! Maybe I did not back track enough to find the right entrance, but its very straight forward. We blow 20 mins just looking for this easy-to-find road but no luck! So, we continue on 126 for a short bit till I spot a forest road that will get us into the mountains and back on track.

This shows the turn off by Clear Creek Campground, but I could not locate it, so we take a turn north a bit farther down.

Now we are into some real forest road riding! The roads vary a lot….from rutted double track that snakes through the trees, to rock infested roads, to graded gravel roads. I have to put my thinking cap on and not BLINDLY follow the GPS…it becomes a challenge as the roads snake and turn a lot, trying to figure out if I go Left or Right. Even if I have to back track a bit, its still fun riding and we manage to stay on course.

Starting up the forest roads, was liking the “burst” feature on the new camera. It has different settings for number of bursts but this one does not affect the picture quality and still gets you many shots per second easy.

Love these rocky climbs, not super gnarly but challenging enough to make you break a sweat. On top of that the RaceTech suspension on my XRR was gobbling it up!

On later long down hill sections we were faced with a continuing barrage of small rock domes followed by sand pits, then rock, then sand, over and over. This proved hard at the end of the day, because the dips up and over the rocks, and hitting the sand pits made you have full on concentration. If you lost form when tired one of these sections could take you out. On top of that, some shady sections were hard to see ruts and holes developed in muddy sections that had dried up. At a few points I bottomed the forks but just held on!

We entered into beautiful alpine meadow sections that I did not expect in New Mexico! Deer and sightings of huge elk were frequent! At one point a massive bull elk, easily 6 foot a the shoulder, and with a massive 3 foot tall set of antlers bounded across the road right in front of me…..the best wild life sighting of the trip!

Here we drop out of the forest for a bit into some lower elevations.

UlyBrad entering into some snaking downhill gravel roads, and down at the bottom!

As we drop out of the forest, and cross a small highway, we stop for needed gas, supplies and a chocolate shake, which does the trick for lunch. We set in the shade for a good bit and re-energize. The mini mart sports some 4 buck camo flip flops that take the place of UlyBrads single Teva!
UlyBrad knows no strangers and strikes up conversation anywhere, making quick friends with the locals and others traveling around. He throws out the bait and sees if you bite!

After being refreshed, we hit some elevations again, and ride into this beautiful valley.

Here we score another national forest campground for the night…a bit windy but it calms down. The camp host reminds us that just the other day a big bear was in the meadow right by our tents….and advises us not to open the sardines for dinner (we do…).

Old 06-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #24
DocAxeYarYar OP
RideDualSport.com

Gunslinger's Divide Ride

Day 5 finds us winding down more forest and meadow roads, so far with excellent weather, only a few sprinkles here and there….otherwise cool in the AM and warm in PM, but never humid. Perfect riding weather.

I am surprised by the perfectly cone shaped pine trees that dot the landscape…how do they get that way? Makes me feel like we are in some old European children’s playscape, with these perfect Germanic pine trees sculpted and placed just right.

Along the way we have guests, as deer and elk sometimes run parallel to us….UlyBrad said one deer followed along side me for a whole mile, but I could not see it since I was focused on the road.

On this section of the route, we are riding on the actual CDT, you can see the mountain bike tire tracks snaking along the road.

This riding is quite perfect. It goes on for miles and miles, and here and there sprinkled in are some rocky or sandy sections, dips and ruts to keep you on your toes.

We pop out of the forests, make an accidental run in to Chama for some gas….UlyBrad had us pointed the right way to Antonito, but somehow the GPS tricked me and I got us turned around. In Chama we gas up and get to see a old steam train making its way through the hills.
We finally get back on course, hitting Antonio, which is our point to turn south and head into a totally different landscape. I spot this little café on the side of the road, so we stop for lunch. We sit outside and eat, but the café is connected to a bar…..a long and deep bar, dark, and cool. It runs the length of the whole building, which must be 100 years old. Its all wobbly floors, crooked walls, and doorways at different heights.
We sit outside, watching the few locals, of all shapes and sizes. Many sport skinny jeans, lip piercing, and over done make up….dragging and assortment of rug rats behind them, taking off in beater cars all dusty with hub caps missing.

A guy ambles over, really excited about our bikes, he’s an electrical contractor working on an old building. He rides a Honda XR “just like mine” and tells us how he rides really hard with his motocross buddies, launching the bike of big jumps. Told me he broke the frame doing that, and I ask him to point it out, he does so on my XRR. Funny thing is he keeps saying how he has electric start, he took off the kick start lever because he never needs it. I inquire again, so “you have an XR650R like this one?” “Yes, yes” he says…..odd, no way had to be a 650L. I just thought it was funny: great guy, lots of fun to talk to…..but clearly he could not tell between the R and L?

The Dutch Mill Café….I liked the sign so we stopped…funny enough, they serve Mexican food, not Dutch. Not sure I really would want to eat Dutch, some herring before a big hot ride?

We start off for a whole new leg of the ride, cutting south east to the Rio Grande River Gorge. Its hot out, maybe 90 or more, clear and sunny. I am eager to start this portion. I follow the GPS tracks, easy enough a few turns out of town….but we get to the first major road that takes us way out of town, funny it does not look like a road. More of a dirt side track that appears to run up to some ranching equipment. Can this be right? Looks dubious…but I am on the track, and yes it leads us farther of town into this……..

I get this very strong feeling of simply riding off into the abyss…..a long straight dirt road for as long as the eye can see…..with nothing but scrubby dessert in front and a mountain range far in the distance. You really get the feeling that you wont find a single person, water, gas or provisions…..its just you and the emptiness. Kind exhilarating, but also scary that I was leading myself and my buddy into the total unknown. No trees, no shade, not a rock big enough to even sit on.

I got this odd feeling, seeking out the most remote area I possibly good.....that no one else would have any reason or desire to ever come to. Except me to ride my motorcycle though it.

After a few miles the road I am on just peter’s out. A turn I am supposed to make is on the GPS, but we cannot see any road. We find some faint tire tracks, and follow those…it looks like the right direction, but those give out too. We go over land, on bare ranch land to find a road, no luck. We follow fence line roads that get us in the right direction, that helps. Few road markings and roads that appear on the GPS simply do not exist. Finally we make it back on the main road, which looks like a BLM numbered road, and from their we are OK. I was unable to hook up the two main roads. But its amazing how you can go for miles and miles, only to have to turn around when a faint double track just ends.

As we make it off the ranch land (still BLM) I find a sign in the road, so glad to see that we are heading in the right direction! But the distances do not seem so great as what I drew in the tracks….so I make sure to get on the track and not stay on the easiest graded gravel road.

This is the main road heading us towards Dunn Bridge, but I know we are off track. My tracks show us heading closer to the edge, so I make sure to cut off on some side roads, and the turn into rutted, sandy, tougher double track for miles and miles. I cut in to go around the base of the mountain also. I know I would hate myself if I came all this way, knowing my track was off the side and I did not make the effort to get off the main graded road and back into the boonies!

Getting off the main road and back on track! Cutting in closer to the edge. Rocky, dusty, tight double track snaking around! I park the bikes because I can see the Gorge just a few feet away, and we hike in.

Finally we make it to Dunn Bridge! What a feeling of satisfaction to make it after a hard day’s ride! I remember calling the BLM from Austin, since the Gorge was recently declared a National Monument….the nice lady in the office told me, yes you can ride any of the roads, and we don’t even have it all MAPPED yet! So, drawing these tracks and riding to the day’s final destination was very gratifying.

Now its off to Taos…..the most difficult riding yet awaits us in White Peak…..
Old 06-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #25
duncanmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
What a terrific adventure! BTW, what GPS are you using?
Old 06-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #26
DocAxeYarYar OP
RideDualSport.com

Gunslinger's Divide Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanmac View Post
What a terrific adventure! BTW, what GPS are you using?
Thanks I already want to do this ride again to iron the kinks!

I am using a 60 series Garmin, been working really well. I dont have it hard wired into my XR60R yet, used 2 AA batteries about every 2 days. I put a small patch of foam behind the batteries to keep them from vibrating and wearing out the contacts.

I am also using Stovey's Buzz Bomb cradle, which works fantastic, highly recommended!

http://bustedcompass.com/Starving_Buzzards.php

Old 06-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #27
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

Oddometer: 1,420
Great images, good job!!!

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #28
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,408
Great report and pictures!
I saw your planning, but just found the report

The Dell City name got me interested, I spent 2 years courtesy of Uncle Sam in Ft Bliss and tried to get out when I got the chance to do a little exploring, this report makes me want to go back and do some more exploring.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #29
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 851
Awesome trip! Great pics and stories to go along with it, enjoy it guys!
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #30
DocAxeYarYar OP
RideDualSport.com

Gunslinger's Divide Ride

Thanks for the compliments on the report, its making me want to go back already and work out some areas I was not able to get too.

Up coming will be White Peak and the return to Dell City via Guadalupe rim.....a real no-mans land....