User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #1
sierraoffroad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
trading full size truck for smaller

i'm getting closer to trading in my 2002 silverado 1/2 ton 4x4 w/8' bed for a new truck. i was thinking of getting a gmc full size ext cab w/6' bed, but now I some how want a toyota tacoma dbl cab long bed 4x4. the tacoma w/v6 looks like it will get much better gas mileage which is the most important aspect. I am a home owner and enjoy having an 8' bed for lumber especially for sheets of sheet rock, and plywood.

ok so what are your thoughts??

thanks for reading.
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,961
I'm thinking of making the same change myself. My Sierra just presented with a $2000 repair now that it's 2 months out of warranty (even though it only has 25,000 miles).

It's nice having that full size bed at times, but for the most part a smaller truck would be fine for me. I've been thinking that a smaller truck plus a trailer big enough for sheet goods would be a nice setup?

I've got a few changes coming up in life with regard to work and school and I'm waiting to see what happens before I change. One of my possible changes involves needing a work truck, in which case I'll probably switch to an F-150 with the ecoboost engine.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:12 AM   #3
sierraoffroad OP
Beastly Adventurer

wow 2,000.00. yikes. what was the problem?? what year is it?
thanks for responding this early in the am.

i had the same idea about the trialer. i have a 4x8' trailer that's like having an other full size truck behind me.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:19 AM   #4
rdtrvlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
the difference in mpg won't be as much as you think it will be. there will be little if any. especially if the taco has an auto trans.
rdtrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #5
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
ive got a dodge 2500 with the cummins in it. 8 foot bed, etc I occasionally realize its way too much truck to tow my 12" enclosed trailer. I start to look around at replacing it with a Tacoma, several friends drive them, I consistently realize, that the 18-20 mpg I get out of the truck is not dramatically worse than the Tacoma. If I lived in a city, where parking a 22 foot long truck was a problem, it would be a different matter. But its not, so I keep coming back to just keeping my trusty diesel
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #6
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
I would actually talk to some folks that own the Tacoma before I jumped into that pool. A friend of mine has one with the V-6 and his biggest complaint has been fuel mileage. According to him, the truck averages less than 15 mpg. My Dodge Cummins does better than that.
'83 Yamaha Venture- Gone
'78 Suzuki GS 750- Gone
WaywardSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:52 AM   #7
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
From what I've been able to gather, the v6 tacos don't get any better mileage than the current crop of American v8 half tons. Eh all seem to sir around 17-19 highway and 15-17 in town, depending. My 04 Chevy averages 15 in town and 17.5 on the highway with a 4.8l v8, which is about the same as my buddy with a double cab 2010 TRD v6 taco gets, but my truck has a higher towing capacity, more payload, a steel bed/tailgate, and can have allow strapped to the front if I want it. I just don't see the draw to the frontier/taco anymore to be honest.

On another note, I have put a grand total of $750 into my Chevy for maintenance over the last 5 years of ownership and 60,000 miles. Adam, I swear your truck was built on a Friday, before a 2 week vacation for everyone on he line at touched your truck. Bad luck just seems to follow that thing.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #8
sierraoffroad OP
Beastly Adventurer

thanks guys it's funny my full size silverado with 4.8 v8 averaged 19mpg on mixed highway (occasional hills) and back roads loaded with my dirt bike, and camp gear including firewood. so roughly 500lb load. my truck has been very good to me, but is rusting badly especially the frame. i just hope my next truck will last this long and and be trouble free at 220k miles. i'm getting close to 222k miles.

i just think having a smaller truck would be easier to maintain and take up less space in my garage.

i hear ya i should get deeper into the tacoma forums to get a more realistic idea.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:15 AM   #9
sloMark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
I have a big fat Tundra Crewmax now. It is great for hauling our little kids around, interior is huge.........one of the kids is in a rear facing car seat and if ya don't already know, they take up a lot of room. It feels safe, lotsa airbags....... That said, I don't need it........as soon as I wear it out,I wanna go back to the Tacoma (I've had three, and i agree, their mpg is not that great). Driving the bigger Tundra is just a pain sometimes.....it gets 13 mpg....city, hwy, whatever....13. .......And it sounds pretty good with a Magnaflow exhaust.........
sloMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:43 AM   #10
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,103
I have a quick connect ladder rack for the <6 box on my doublecab Tacoma. It comfortably hauls sheet goods when I need it. It takes up far less room than a trailer, requires no maintenance, no registration, no inspections. I just hauled a 12x 28 roll of carpeting. It takes as much time to take on and off as hooking up a trailer.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #11
sierraoffroad OP
Beastly Adventurer

i could get a very good deal by trading my truck toward a chevy or gmc, but will they last as long as my truck did without any expensive repairs?? they are a little cheaper than a tacoma and list the same gas mileage, but i just need reliability in a more compact version and i think the tacoma is it.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #12
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,445
The mpg is more a function of the rear end gearing than the motor size.

But that's what it comes down to: size. It does matter.

Going from a half size to a full size pickup was easy, stepping down not so much; I ended up with a cargo van!

Obviously it depends on your use but I'll wager you count on that 8' bed more than you think!

Also, & less important, the Taco cabs are so much more...intimate.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #13
sierraoffroad OP
Beastly Adventurer

thanks and yes i do really love the 8' bed. i have a cab height fiberglass cap and slept all weekend in their with plenty of room to spare. i had all my dirt biking gear in there nice and dry from the rain.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #14
ig_88e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I have a v6 Access Cab taco. Like everyone says, mileage is not that great. I do mostly around town driving and get 17. I never take the snow tires off, but that is likely not worth too much more. Mine is a manual. For some reason, the auto's get ~1 MPG better.

The reason you get a Tacoma is you would rather do stuff besides fix your truck. Between my dad and I we're on our 5th small Toyota and we've never done any major work on any of them (no engine work except oil changes, no drivetrain work except brakes). I think one of my dad's trucks got new ball joints around 100K. We don't put on a lot of miles, but they do get used. You will most likely want to add a leaf spring to the rear on day 1. Pretty stupid levels of sag otherwise.

My next truck will be a double cab/long bed. I have a kiddo now and the rearfacing carseat fits behind the passenger seat, but then the passenger is kissing the dash. I'll be pissed about having an auto instead of a manual, but that seems to be the American way these days.

I work at a small engineering company. About 50% of us drive trucks. All but 1 is a Tacoma. But maybe engineers don't know anything...

P.S. We have a trailer that fits sheet goods. I don't use it except for drywall. Plywood, etc just gets set on the tailgate. I know the tailgate is a bit flimsy, but I've never had an issue, and I'd had 12+ sheets of 3/4" plywood on it a number of times.

Capacity wise, I think up to 1,200 lbs in the back is no big deal (with extra leaf). Above that I drive pretty slow...
ig_88e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #15
HankMayhem
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Taco owner

I own an 04, 2wd, manual, 4 banger. Gets 20 to 27 mpg and would have no issues towing a 12 foot trailer. I can load my Dakar, my spouses 650gs, a wide ramp, and gear for a week in the 6.5 ft bed. The sales hype always go for bigger, 4wd, and higher horsepower when for 99 percent of us it's overkill.
HankMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: