User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
RYANINMICHIGAN OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
650 or 400

I have been looking at bikes for a while now. I have been bikeless for about 15 years. I used to ride a vmax when I was younger but I am really interested in dual sport. Here is my question. I am kicking around the DR650 (even though I am not crazy about the color this year) I would like to also have the option for supermoto wheels. Would I be better off buying a DRZ supermoto and buying some off road wheels to swap out when I want to ride trails? Or buy a 650 and by some Supermoto wheels? Also I am 6'4 and about 240 lbs. Will there be a noticable power diference?

Thanks
RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANINMICHIGAN View Post
I have been looking at bikes for a while now. I have been bikeless for about 15 years. I used to ride a vmax when I was younger but I am really interested in dual sport. Here is my question. I am kicking around the DR650 (even though I am not crazy about the color this year) I would like to also have the option for supermoto wheels. Would I be better off buying a DRZ supermoto and buying some off road wheels to swap out when I want to ride trails? Or buy a 650 and by some Supermoto wheels? Also I am 6'4 and about 240 lbs. Will there be a noticable power diference?

Thanks
The DRZ is definitely more off road oriented and will need more revs to achieve similar power. It has better suspension, but is worse on the highway and the gearing is worse as well. A DR650 is better on the road and has a milder engine with more torque. If you are talking about trails the DR650 will be fine too, but for very technical stuff the DRZ is better
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,117
The DR650 would probably be a better do it all bike, but if you want to do alot of gnarly single track trails then the DRZ.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANINMICHIGAN View Post

Thanks
If you want to run slab for longer distances, go DR650SE with the wide-ratio 5spd, tractor torque, and smooth air/oil-cooled motor. The color is easy to change.

The DR-Z400S/SM has roughly similar HP, but it needs to be revved a bit more to make it. It's not as torquey and the trans is a close-ratio 5spd. The DR-Z S/SM is approximately 45lb lighter though, the frame is stiffer, and the stock suspension has adjustable damping.

Many people run either bike in SM configuration. Either one has pretty good aftermarket and can be built from mild to wild. Neither is a great 2up bike, at your size.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
You want an ol' xr650r
Old 06-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,226
at 6ft 4 and 240lbs u can manhandle any bike u want to ride.

I am 6ft 235 and have a DRZ 400S.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post

What silencer is that?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:21 AM   #8
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Ever consider....none of the above? I think you are an ideal candidate for a Terra 650 from Husqvarna. Those 2 Suzuki designs are just ancient. The newest engine in the DRZ dates from the 90s tech wise! A Husky is cheaper when you look at all of the stuff it comes with stock for similar $$$.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #9
RYANINMICHIGAN OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post

Nice bike. I am not worried about weather I can handle the bike more like I am worried I will be cramped on it. like a gorilla fucking a football.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #10
RYANINMICHIGAN OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Ever consider....none of the above? I think you are an ideal candidate for a Terra 650 from Husqvarna. Those 2 Suzuki designs are just ancient. The newest engine in the DRZ dates from the 90s tech wise! A Husky is cheaper when you look at all of the stuff it comes with stock for similar $$$.

I ride a Suzuki ATV and it has been bullet proof. I will look at Husky though. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
If you want to run slab for longer distances, go DR650SE with the wide-ratio 5spd, tractor torque, and smooth air/oil-cooled motor. The color is easy to change.

The DR-Z400S/SM has roughly similar HP, but it needs to be revved a bit more to make it. It's not as torquey and the trans is a close-ratio 5spd. The DR-Z S/SM is approximately 45lb lighter though, the frame is stiffer, and the stock suspension has adjustable damping.

Many people run either bike in SM configuration. Either one has pretty good aftermarket and can be built from mild to wild. Neither is a great 2up bike, at your size.
This is pretty much what I would say. I had a DRZ for a few years and loved it, once I started travelling longer distances I switched to the DR.

The DRZ is taller with a better suspension, a higher reving liquid cooled motor and a bit lighter then the DR. The DR may be a bit cramped, but taller bars and shorter pegs will solve that. Id go anywhere on either bike, we regularly load up the DR with camping gear, ride 500 klicks then play in the bush/mud for a couple days then ride home.

Either will be a great bike, it may get trashed by the euro bikers as old tech., but it just plain works.

Cheers, Todd
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
true 50/50 dual sport, go for the 650
mostly off-road with some paved to connect go for the 400

the 650 is a standard type bike that can be ridden most everywhere but becomes heavy in nasty off-road. if you are cruising dirt roads and easy forest roads it's great. the 400 is best in more dirt focused terrain.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #13
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
Quote:
yep the terra would be a great choice
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:

Husky Terra engine can be traced back to the original F650 funduro. Way older than DRZ. Nice motor though and a good bike by all accounts.

I agree with the 650 for 50/50, 400 for road to connect dirt though. 650 is much nicer on the road even if the power figures are similar.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #15
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,065
I also ride the DR650 as a dirtbike, at 5'8"/200lb, so if you're decently strong don't think that you'll have a tough time handling a 367lb DR offroad at your size...unless you're trying to run race pace or clear triples or something.

The suspension on almost any dualsport is going to be better for your weight if you upgrade and tune it. Most dualsports seem to be sprung for somebody 150-180lb or so.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote