User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,099
MPE suspension issues

got a quote from MPE suspension on the DR650 for their budget suspension overall. just heavier springs and oil in both front and rear.

picked the bike up from MPE and got an invoice that jumped from an expected $430 to $600. they decided to revalve the rear spring for me instead of just doing the oil as specified.

i know plenty of guys are really happy with work done by MPE suspension and so they should be - they have a very experienced crew there..but i do know since the original post i've been PMed and chatted with a few inmates who have had similar experiences. it would only be a very small percentage of their overall clients, but just wanted to suggest:

- make sure the invoice clearly states what you want done
- state you don't want any extra work done outside of what is specified on the invoice
- ask how soon you can bring it back if it needed

EDIT: please note i've amended and deleted some of my posts. after an email and a phone call or two there was a partial refund so i was only charged what i was orginally quoted (actually they refunded more than that which was appreciated).

B1 screwed with this post 04-01-2014 at 11:41 AM
B1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
poppy
Slow and Steady

Oddometer: 2,146
That sounds a bit ordinary Barry. Especially being charged extra after being told it was included and there lead time for repairs. Pretty fucked actually.

I had my 510 done by Paul about 6 years ago and i could not fault his service. He even came in on a saturday so i could pick up my bike and then waited around for an hr while i took it out into the forest to test ride it to see what adjustments i wanted. He followed that up by calling me about a month later to see how it was going and was i happy.

Maybe all the good feedback has made them to busy and they have lost that more personal type customer service and quality workmanship that was there.

Doesn't take to long for bad customer service and workmanship to get around before businesses start going backwards. Pretty hard to survive on past reputations.
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
ditchwitch650
living the nightmare

Oddometer: 732
hope you get it sorted B1 suspension issues are the pits effecting your riding confidence and enjoyment,

having had 4 bike done by paul I have seen both good and bad result with 2 bikes being very good straight up, 1 going back for adjustmentsbut ended up good, and 1 bad.

Like poppy I had found he offered good service with him calling me 2 or 3 weeks afterwards to see if there was any problems or issues. I did find that his prices varied and that I wasn't clearly told what was included or being done until questioning afterwards this is when I found Paul become hard to deal with / arrogant and wouldn't return calls etc

my last was 2004 when he's opened his beerwah shop started to get busy and had a shop front to worry about. forks went back 3 times and shock twice, rear come up ok front was always bad and I got sick of traveling there and dealing with him
bike:
XR650R to be set up for a Mid range tank and enduro style riding, single track, hill climbs, wooboys etc, but would be used a little to commute

Forks:
They were never good, ended up finding out the springs he installed were to light for me .49 They heaviest off the shelf items available at the time, but custom springs were available for around 1/3 extra I was never told any of this!!! So to compensate for the springs being to light he upped the valving and the bike was always harsh deflecting of sharp edges rocks etc and punching out of rutts making hill climbs and tight single track very unenjoyable to ride he did make adjustment making it better the first off but never good I was always unhappy with it and couldn't be bothered with pulling them out and going back down there to drop off and pick back up in a few days times

Shock:
also had the heaviest spring available fitted was slightly under rated for me, wasn't aware of this at the time either, and the bike was unbalanced front to rear, it went back twice for adjustments, was ok in the end compared to the front anyways

I truly regret having my XR650r set up there!

hard to compare to my current XR650R as it has a crf front end and hybrid cr500 shock,

Dave @ Suspension Matters has set it up for me most of the work was done in front of me as I waited he asked a lot of questions and offer different options, It simply is the best handling bike for me I have ever ridden he has done and awesome job and at around to same price as MPE

just my 2c worth

ditchwitch650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #4
Dale950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
Sounds like someone stuffed up on the quote B1 , $400 for that work sounds a bit cheap ? There's approx $ 400 in just the two heavier springs front & rear from my experience then you have the oil etc & labour for pulling the forks & shock . $600 sounds about right to me .
Dale950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:06 AM   #5
ECKS-Man
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Clear communication is very important with things like this. Had my suspension done by Jay Foreman recently and it is awesome. That said, my instructions were extensive and very clear - in writing. His price actually came in cheaper than his initial quote!

I also think $400 is pretty cheap, but not out of the question for common bikes with minor adjustments.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
Dunerider3806
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I have heard they are the new Husky dealers.
Dunerider3806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale950 View Post
Sounds like someone stuffed up on the quote B1 , $400 for that work sounds a bit cheap ? There's approx $ 400 in just the two heavier springs front & rear from my experience then you have the oil etc & labour for pulling the forks & shock . $600 sounds about right to me .
Getting a more expensive job done than quoted would be hard to swallow but acceptable if the end result was brilliant... sorry to hear you lucked out Barry

I went on a ride a few weeks ago where Dave from Suspension Matters couldn't have been more helpful and friendly about the basics and on speaking to a few people that day, apparently MPE was slightly cheaper.. however when I get my suspension looked at, I dare say Dave will be my first choice now.

That aside, Dave rides a lot, and my lordy he's good
KTM 625SXC - Adventure bike (project)
Young-Gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
Communication is the key

I had my DRZ suspension done by Race Tech after reading good things about their familiarity with this bike.

I wrote what I wanted after discussing the project with Terry Hay on the phone. I wanted heavier springs and a revalve to cope with 28L fuel and 20 Kg of luggage and I wanted a plush ride. I freighted the suspension off and it was returned in good time at the price discussed.

WhatiI got was a hard suspension with little compliance for small bumps , but fine at speed/small jumps. Not quite right; but close.

Now my options were to call Terry and negotiate a revalve job, which I am sure he could/would do. Freight and the possibility that it would still not be as I wanted made me turn to the local suspsension tuner. This would not be anyones fault as I couldn't ride it at the Race Tech workshop to evaluate it before shipping it back (the tyranny of rural living).

So I spent $400 more locally and now I have really nice predictable handling from my DRZ. I am happy even though I spent close on $1300 all up.
I look at it as money invested in safety and comfort.

I do think B1 has a case if he had a written job specification/quote and the workshop unilaterally decided to exceed that without prior consultation. This happens when the front office does not communicate with the workshop at time of work delegation, or if the workshop is too arrogant to consult the customer, thus letting the front office staff deal with the flak. It sounds to me that intra- office communication is lacking at that facility.

2c spent
XRman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #9
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,624
One trend I have noticed is there seems to be more dissatisfaction since they moved to their new premises from Beerwah. Just wondering if the stress of taking on a new premise and becoming a dealer at the same time is having an impact. Not justifying, just an observation and curiosity.

I was charged 20% more than quoted on my first dealings with MPE, but was not unhappy about it as it was explained, but I wish I had the opportunity to comment first, but was not informed. This was made up by discounts on some servicing and not being charged for a shock to be lengthened. Whether that made a 20% difference I don't know, however I took it as goodwill and have not had issues when taking stuff back to be sorted. Overall I have been happy with the results.

I've have also had stuff done by Suspension Matters and have been happy with the work. Even when spending more than I wanted, Dave explained it thoroughly. Just need to get my 950 going to try out the new suspenders. Which reminds me I need to contact Dave and let him know why it has taken so long to get back to him

If you don't want the piss taken, stop giving it away!
Chop Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
B1, if you are unhappy with the suspension, I will take your word for it. I don't know anyone else who adventure rides 6 days a week, so I'm sure you know what you are talking about (and having seen some of the outrageous things you do on a DR!). .
just to be sure, i had a few experienced guys try my bike over the weekend and they all hated it and said it was WAY too harsh.

interestingly, one of them has a DR and MPE did the suspension a few years back. i rode it and it was fantastic! super plush, yet would only bottom out when pushed ultra hard. i told him i would swap forks and shock when he wasn't looking.

B1 screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 11:59 PM
Old 06-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,726
Which emulators did you fit?
SJ
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Sleepy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy John View Post
Which emulators did you fit?SJ
the DR650-specific ones. and not intiminators.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #13
wheelruts
aka speedbump

Oddometer: 100
B1 sorry to hear your grief

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
: this guy is my weight and was doing the same jumps as me and pushing hard down some gnarly single track yesterday so i know his bike is bang on. grrrrrrr......
Do you happen to know what the other guy had in his forks ?

Gary
wheelruts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
3 weeks hey? I would say he's got a shit load of MX suspension to get ready by the end of the month for the QLD titles. Watch out when he tries to give you springs from India when you paid for Race Tech.

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

not feeling the love from MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback jack View Post
Watch out when he tries to give you springs from India when you paid for Race Tech.
seriously? just checking coz if you are joking i don't want anyone to start thinking MPE is fitting shoddy springs....

B1 screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 12:00 AM