User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Sticker Etiquitte

I'm in the process of retiring one bike and upgrading to a new one. A 1150GS-Adventure to a 120OGS-Adventure. I've been to quite a few places on the 1150 and have a lot of memories tied to the stickers on the panniers. What's the group consensus on transferring stickers from one set of panniers to another. Are the stickers tied to the bike being at those places or to the rider?

Throughout the years I've purchased duplicate stickers from a lot of places so I have spares. There are ones that I won't be able to replace.
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Personally I only put stickers on when I have been the place in/on that vehicle. I am currently saving them up until I get critical mass. Hopefully I'll have enough by the end of the summer so as not to embarrass myself.
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 682
I don't think there's a universally accepted meaning of a sticker on a vehicle. To me it just means that you probably liked the sticker enough to put it there. (But it could also have been placed surreptitiously by a third person.)

It doesn't imply that you have been there, nor the bike, nor even somebody you know.

Your vehicle - your sticker - your decision!
Gruesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,067
I seen a waterhead with lots of worldly stickers on the shiny new thing and all I could think was F'n Poser! Then I followed him for a bit and saw him ride like he was in a third world country so maybe he wore out the old bike adventuring and bought new stickers for the new GS. Dunno. Just looked cheesy to me. I bought used aluminum cases that had been there and done that but I peeled all the decals off and polished them up. The Starbucks decal was the first to go! I'll get my own stickers as I earn them.

It's up to you really. How important is your "image"? My last GS was sold along with all the stickers and my newer one is totally blank right now. Funny, my GF asked me the same thing about a Dragon decal from Deals Gap. She ran it with her last bike that got caged to death and wondered if she was "allowed" to put one on the new bike.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
Juggernaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I'd rather see stickers showing where someone has been over company logos. Why give a company free advertising when you already spent money on their product?
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
i think its ok to transfer them. i figure if you got a sticker from somewhere, it means you been there. if i see someone with a sticker that i have been too i like to talk to that person about it and see how they liked it.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
I'd rather see stickers showing where someone has been over company logos. Why give a company free advertising when you already spent money on their product?
I select riding gear with small, unobtrusive logos and stickers for products that I have a good experience with (Mobil1 oil, Odyssey) and vendors that I trust (Cyclebrakes).

As for as where I've been, ask and I'll show you the photos...no stickers.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 859
What stickers mean the most to you? Do they bring back fond memories, or conjure up that story about that time that guy did that thing? I say it's more important to have the memento as a memory jogger or conversation starter than to worry about being seen as a poseur.

However, if the new bike is intended as a clean slate, the start of new adventures, then your panniers should be clean as a whistle.

And if you figure out how to safely transfer decals without tearing, let me know.

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,380
I think it means you and the bike have been there. Can't transfer stickers. Sorry. That's the rule.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM View Post
I'm in the process of retiring one bike and upgrading to a new one. A 1150GS-Adventure to a 120OGS-Adventure. I've been to quite a few places on the 1150 and have a lot of memories tied to the stickers on the panniers. What's the group consensus on transferring stickers from one set of panniers to another. Are the stickers tied to the bike being at those places or to the rider?

Throughout the years I've purchased duplicate stickers from a lot of places so I have spares. There are ones that I won't be able to replace.
I just take pictures of the stickers so that I can have a reminder of some of the good times.

IMO The bike owns the stickers as much as I do.

Pins and patches OTOH are a different story.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #11
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
I just take pictures of the stickers so that I can have a reminder of some of the good times.
THATS IT!

I'll take a picture of my old bike make a sticker from the picture and put it on the pannier.

I'll have to take two pictures and make two stickers of the old bike one from the right and one from the left. That way each pannier will be represented.
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
Botch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsignore View Post
And if you figure out how to safely transfer decals without tearing, let me know.
I was kinda wondering that myself...

The vario panniers that came with my bike has some hideous (albeit safe) reflective stripes all over it, plus a "Fire/Medic/Rescue" sticker, which needs to come off. I'm a retired Ammo troop; I blow people up, I don't save them!
Botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #13
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM View Post
THATS IT!

I'll take a picture of my old bike make a sticker from the picture and put it on the pannier.

I'll have to take two pictures and make two stickers of the old bike one from the right and one from the left. That way each pannier will be represented.
Take pix and have a wrap made for the new bike
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
ebbanflood
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 295
I have done the traveling, the vehicle is just the means of getting there. I don't have the stickers but i highlight every trip on my road atlas. I have had over 2 dozen bikes, life does not start over with each one. The stickers and the experiences are yours not the machines. If it says "THIS BIKE climbed Mt. Washington" that is another story.
ebbanflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #15
Room210
Nor-Cal GS'er

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruesome View Post
I don't think there's a universally accepted meaning of a sticker on a vehicle. To me it just means that you probably liked the sticker enough to put it there. (But it could also have been placed surreptitiously by a third person.)

It doesn't imply that you have been there, nor the bike, nor even somebody you know.

Your vehicle - your sticker - your decision!
+1 on this
Room210 is offline   Reply With Quote