User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 724
What wire do you use to connect ipad to 60csx?

Edit:

Never mind, found the answer.. You can use this to connect your GPS/camera to ipad or mini ipad. Other option would be this connection kit which allow you to insert SD card and do the transfer process.

WhicheverAnyWayCan screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 03:43 PM
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 636
Remember that the adapters will only allow the transfer of photos.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

A potential solution??

Ok it seems that it is true you can not transfer GPX file to Garmin GPS even with the adapters I posted above because Apple has it closed limiting only to photo and video. Yes, you can transfer GoPro video but not GPX files.

However I think there is possible one solution? I'm considering this option and paying ~$100 is still cheaper than bring a macbook or macbook air. (I am actually thinking of mini iPad, not iPad)

How to use iPad to transfer GPX files to your Garmin GPS.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
The 60CSx can't do anything with the GPX files on the uSD card.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
The 60CSx can't do anything with the GPX files on the uSD card.
I'm not sure why you are saying that? I uploaded gpx files into SD card last year and it showed all the files just fine?
Old 06-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
You can see the .gpx files on the card but you cannot access them, ie load them to follow them (unless there is a typo and you have the 62)
Old 06-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
You can see the .gpx files on the card but you cannot access them, ie load them to follow them (unless there is a typo and you have the 62)
See pic:

It's a 60csx. I'm pretty positive that my 60csx were able to view gpx file without trouble but I will double check just in case because better to do that here at home and find out now than to wait and find out while I am out there, you know? My sister have iPad and currently there is used AirStash (minus SD card) on eBay I just bid and it's closing in 10 hours. If I win it, I will give it a test. If it is a success, I'll post a video of it on here. I'm sure that most advrider would like to know about it so they won't have to carry laptop when they could get mini ipad or android tablet to save space.

Note: I think the file transfer is not limited to gpx but can use other GPS extension such as gbl and so on. Basically you can pretty much transfer any type of data so whatever works for your system is what you will have to use. Let's see how this experiment play out.

Keep you guys updated and see how it turn out.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Just read through the owner manual for the first time.. and yes I can see that the 60 series are not designed to read tracks from SD card. Only store tracking data on it for software (mapsource or basecamp) to read the card. The GPS can only read the POI data from the SD card, which is exactly why I was able to view POI with no problem. But trying to read tracks from the card will not work.

Wonder if 62S and newer version GPS such as Oregon/Montana will be a success??

WhicheverAnyWayCan screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 04:14 PM
Old 06-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Just read through the owner manual for the first time.. and yes I can see that the 60 series are not designed to read tracks from SD card. Only store tracking data on it for software (mapsource or basecamp) to read the card. The GPS can only read the POI data from the SD card, which is exactly why I was able to view POI with no problem. But trying to read tracks from the card will not work.

Wonder if 62S and newer version GPS such as Oregon/Montana will be a success??
Any of the newer generation of gps will read a gpx file, either on the gps or the micro sd card, as long as it's in the right folder.

X:\garmin\gpx is the place to add the files to.

Also, if your budget is low, get the 78. It's virtually identical in function to the 62, but it has a better power connector.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Any of the newer generation of gps will read a gpx file, either on the gps or the micro sd card, as long as it's in the right folder.

X:\garmin\gpx is the place to add the files to.

Also, if your budget is low, get the 78. It's virtually identical in function to the 62, but it has a better power connector.
Emmbeedee,

I just got home from week-long vacation.. before I left for my vacation Monday morning, I spoke with customer service at Garmin's and the technician confirmed that all Garmin's GPS will not read tracks from SD card, only maps and waypoints? When I learned of that, I decided to abort the experiment.

Unless otherwise they are wrong because somebody on this forum has actually done that with a success?
Old 06-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Emmbeedee,

I just got home from week-long vacation.. before I left for my vacation Monday morning, I spoke with customer service at Garmin's and the technician confirmed that all Garmin's GPS will not read tracks from SD card, only maps and waypoints? When I learned of that, I decided to abort the experiment.

Unless otherwise they are wrong because somebody on this forum has actually done that with a success?
I'll try the experiment later.

Just curious; where will these other tracks come from? Another gps user?

Are you aware that certain Garmin models have wireless transfer abilities, so you could send tracks, routes, waypoints, geocaches and geotagged pictures between units?
Old 06-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I'll try the experiment later.
Later came sooner than I thought it would.

I added a track file to the gpx folder on the card and I was not able to see that track from the gps, so it looks like that experiment failed.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Quote:
Later came sooner than I thought it would.

I added a track file to the gpx folder on the card and I was not able to see that track from the gps, so it looks like that experiment failed.
Thanks for sharing this! I went ahead and purchased the Montana anyway but probably will see about getting Macbook Air since it is smaller than the Macbook I own.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #14
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 454
If you use a Android Tablet or Andoid Smartfone you can just save the gpx file
(from internal memory or from dropbox, email or any online source ) and just save it to the sdcard then swap it out and place it in the garmin.

If your GPS device is capable of "Mass storage mode", and your tablet is USB OTG enabled
then you could even just connect the two without having to remove the sdcard !

The tablet will then treat the GPS as if it was a usb drive and you can transfer files to and from the two witout removing the sd-card

webmonstro screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 08:43 AM
webmonstro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonstro View Post
If you use a Android Table or Andoid smartfone you can just save the gpx file
(from dropbox, or email or any online source )
and just save it to the sdcard then swap it out and place it in the garmin.
The issue at hand is that GPS can not read tracks from SD card. That was the purpose of this experiment but it will not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonstro View Post
If your GPS device is capable of Mass storage mode, and your tablet is
USB OTG enabled you could even just connect the two without having to remove the sdcard , then the tablet will treat the GPS as if it was a usb drive and you can transfer files to and from the two
I could be wrong but based on my research, both android tablets and apple iPad (regular and mini) will only transfer pictures and videos through USB and not any other data including the gpx file. That is why it will not work too. I am pretty solid on iPad incapable of this but it could be possible some android tablets could do that, however there are too many different tablets to chose from. I'd have to research each one of them individually to find out but I am not interested to do that. If someone volunteer to do that, sure!

And my conclusion to this is that Montana probably can stored a lot of tracks in its memory I may never need to upload it? And I came to realize this that I will need to carry a portable external hard drive to store go-pro video and pictures because with the size of each picture I take with my camera and the size of video go-pro produce, I am very doubtful iPad is capable of holding everything at once. I'd feel safer with Macbook Air + external hard drive.