User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
Vuk OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
NYC to Alaska to LA

Decided officially yesterday to take a solo journey from NYC up and through Canada to Alaska and then down to LA. Leaving July 8. Plan on taking a month, give or take. I did my research here, and elsewhere on the web, to plan my trip. It's been a long 24 hours. This is roughly my planned route:

-NYC
-Ottawa
-Winnipeg (via Trans Canada)
-Calgary (maybe offer help if flood isn't cleaned up)
-Banff
-Jasper
-Prince George
-Smithers
-Meziadan Junction (via Cassiar Highway)
-Whitehorse
-Dawson City (via Klondike Highway)
-Jack Wade (via Top of the World Highway)
-Anchorage
-Fairbanks
-Haines
-Prince Rupert (via ferry)
-Prince George
-Vancouver
-Seattle
-Portland
-San Francisco
-LA

GEAR
I'll be taking along all the standard gear, and camping equipment, even though I plan on also staying in hotels/motels. Only thing I can think of taking with me that I wouldn't take on a few day trip is maybe a MSR water filter.

SERVICE
My plan is to do the following to my recently serviced GSA that has a brand new TKC80 front tire:
-In Winnipeg (about 2,000 miles into the trip) change my rear road tire (which will have about 5,500 miles on it) with a new TKC80 I'll be carrying along with me. Maybe stop at Wildwood Motorsports (BMW dealer) to have it swapped and pick up anything
else I might need.
-In Anchorage (about 3,000+ miles from Winnipeg) call ahead and have a new set of TKC80s waiting for me at The Motorcycle Shop for installation, and maybe get an oil change/other service.

NAVIGATION/COMMUNICATION
-Will have Garmin City Navigator North America NT loaded up on my Garmin Rino 530HCx
-iPhone 5
-SPOT GPS Messenger with SPOT Assist Roadside (which supposedly provides coverage in US 50 states + Canada)
-The Milepost

FERRY
-I've read I should bring
3 tie down straps for the Haines to Prince Rupert ferry (would rather not, but I guess I will)
-Also read that I don't need to make reservations as the ferries depart daily and somewhat frequently. I will be in Haines I'm estimating some time around the beginning of August.

QUESTIONS
Here's what I'm hoping for from my fellow inmates:

I'm a relatively new adventure rider with only one trip from NYC to Nova Scotia (all on road) under my belt, so I very well could be missing a ton, and would appreciate any guidance/advice. I've been riding off and on since I was a teenager (I'm 40 now), spending most of my time in the dirt (e.g., enduro, motocross, etc.), with some dual sport time (I rode LA-Barstow-Vegas a couple times a few years back), and dabbled with a few street bikes (probably about 20,000 miles in total over the years). So, my questions are:
  1. Is there anything glaring (or not so glaring) I might be missing with respect to my gear, service, navigation, ferry, etc?
  2. Are there any sites that I should hit that I haven't listed above, keeping in mind I only have about a month for this trip?
  3. Finally, I'm looking for any other general advice for someone making his first 8,000+ mile trip.
Many thanks in advance,

Vuk
Vuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
toadfish63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Vuk,

Looks like we'll be riding a very similar route. Starting July 12, I'm riding from Columbus, Ohio across the northern states and crossing over to CN at Glacier National Park (Going to the Sun road). I'm switching out tires either in Calgary or Anchorage. Make sure you have a tire plug kit and a compressor or CO2 cartridges. Watch your tires and keep them inflated. Be prepared for rain and cold, but let's hope for perfect weather! With your background in riding dirt, you'll be fine, just be smart and slow down when it makes sense. Enjoy and have a safe trip!

Mark
Old 07-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #3
Vuk OP
n00b

Many thanks for the tire advice, and the vote of confidence. Perhaps I'll see you en route as I may take US-2 across the northern US (instead of through Canada) and cross into Canada through Glacier National Park, as well. Departing Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadfish63 View Post
Vuk,

Looks like we'll be riding a very similar route. Starting July 12, I'm riding from Columbus, Ohio across the northern states and crossing over to CN at Glacier National Park (Going to the Sun road). I'm switching out tires either in Calgary or Anchorage. Make sure you have a tire plug kit and a compressor or CO2 cartridges. Watch your tires and keep them inflated. Be prepared for rain and cold, but let's hope for perfect weather! With your background in riding dirt, you'll be fine, just be smart and slow down when it makes sense. Enjoy and have a safe trip!

Mark
Old 07-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
Truenorth2005
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Vuk
You are welcome to stop in and camp on our ranch in western Manitoba. We may even have a room depending on which kids are home when you pass through. Safe travels.
Bill
Truenorth2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Vuk OP
n00b

Bill,
Thanks for the offer. I cut across Michigan's Upper Peninsula for reasons I won't get into. In Grand Forks, North Dakota, and will be crossing into Canada on 39 in Saskatchewan, so won't be needing a place in Manitoba. But, thanks, again.
Vuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth2005 View Post
Vuk
You are welcome to stop in and camp on our ranch in western Manitoba. We may even have a room depending on which kids are home when you pass through. Safe travels.
Bill
Old 07-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Truenorth2005
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Safe travels. Maybe next time.
Truenorth2005 is offline   Reply With Quote