|06-13-2013, 11:49 PM||#1|
Joined: Jun 2013
Dual Brake 1981 R65
I need a little help with my cafe racer project.. I've got a project '81 R65 that I want to give twin front calipers. Currently has the standard left side brembo only.
I was a little hopeful and scored from a wrecker what I hoped was a r65 ls right caliper to match - instead got a right caliper from a K100. this fits on the fork leg fine but wouldn't fit over a disc because the caliper opening is behind the fork.
So - it's clear to me I need advice from those that know... hopefully you can help me.
my questions are:
1) what model(s) calipers will fit? are the ls right brembo calipers hard to find??
2) will I need to increase the size of my master cylinder? mine is a 12mm
3) can I just bolt a right side disc onto the r65 (non ls) wheel??
hope you can help- will be the first of many queries - thanks!!! Jake
|06-14-2013, 12:06 AM||#2|
Brevis illi vita est
Joined: Jun 2010
1) Order from any dealer.
2) 12mm should work fine. More than fine actually. Many consider it an upgrade.
3) discs interchange. See if there is a flat on the wheel for it and get long enough bolts. This is common to do on /6 single disk front wheels.
|06-17-2013, 10:41 PM||#3|
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Barnstead, New Hampshire USA
A 12mm m/c will work, but you will have a fair amount of lever travel with 2 brembos on the front. A 14mm will give you less travel, but still reasonable feel. My R65LS came with a 16mm m/c and it doesn't move very far from "off" to full on lockup, so if you like more gradual, progressive response, I'd look for a 14mm, personally.
If you come across an R80ST fork set, that may also work. You do also have to be aware that the R65LS front wheels are not the same width as the regular R65 snowflake front wheel, so the rotor carriers are different depths for the rotors to line up with the calipers.
1998 Kawasaki Concours, 1982 BMW R65LS, 1978 BMW R100/7
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|