Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #46
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,342
I think the issue is that the OP wasn't asking what the best dual sport was. He asked what was the best thumper on the highway that could be used for dirt roads as well.

The WR is a great DS bike. I think you can even make an argument that perhaps it is the best bike at covering the widest range of terrain (single track to highway). But that isn't what the OP asked and to say it is the BEST highway thumper is not accurate IMO. Can it do it? Sure. The BEST at it? I really don't think so.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #47
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
My 250 does great on both dirt & road. I've done two 500+ mile days, one of which included 250 miles on the freeway (Panguitch to SLC 75 the whole way). That trip was part of a 1,600 mile one that I also road hundreds of dirt miles in southern Utah and northern Arizona. I bought my bike in Palm Springs at the end of February and rode it home in 2 days - 850 miles.

None of these facts have anything to do with my ego, not even sure what that's all about. Last year I was riding a Tiger 800XC, and while it was amazing on the highway its a pig @ 500 pounds. I'm having a lot more fun on the WR, and have done many things on the WR I would be scared to death on the Tiger. The WR is by FAR the best true dual-sport in my opinion.

It was a reply to NJBretts assertion that people buy big bikes because of ego. In my very limited experience people normally buy big bikes because they want a bigger bike. You kind of make my point, if where you want to ride is 1500 miles away and you have a week off, 850 miles in 2 days doesn't buy a lot of on site time. You end up trailering, and I hate to fucking trailer. I aint knocking your bike, but as someone who has driven a cloth top CJ-5 from Dallas to Lake City Colorado a number of time, just because it will do it, doesn't make it fun to do it. None of this was what the OP asked, it just happens

Yours is a nice looking bike, and I'm glad you like it. I would love to have one, but I would not care to load it down with my fat ass and luggage and cover long distances on a regular basis. The OP wanted a fire road bike. On a fire road, I don't know what advantage a 250 would have over the sweet F-650 he bought.

IBA 22425

perterra screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 12:24 PM
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #48
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanoe View Post
Well, today was a productive day! I found a bike I was really interested in yesterday. I exchanged email with the dealership, they had it on consignment. I got up early and drove about an hour to check it out.

Its no garage queen, but its got character! I took it for a long test drive on a variety of roads, the torque was really fun, and I loved the sound. I was able to negotiate what I think was a good price, $2400. It came with full service records from all three of its previous owners, as well as all the original books, bill of sale, etc. Its home now, I need to really clean it up, but here is a picture from the dealer website for now :)

Thanks guys, your advice as always, is priceless!

1997 BMW F650 Funduro w/ 27k miles, stock except for a BMW top case.

If you know anyone interested in a sweet DR200, let me know, I am going to be listing it for sale on the board as soon as I can get some pictures.

You got a sweet deal, now go log some miles on that mofo and take some photos. Nice bike.

IBA 22425
Old 06-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #49
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
I think the issue is that the OP wasn't asking what the best dual sport was. He asked what was the best thumper on the highway that could be used for dirt roads as well.

The WR is a great DS bike. I think you can even make an argument that perhaps it is the best bike at covering the widest range of terrain (single track to highway). But that isn't what the OP asked and to say it is the BEST highway thumper is not accurate IMO. Can it do it? Sure. The BEST at it? I really don't think so.

I agree 100% with this, my KLR 650 works, but for 700 mile days it fucking sucks. It will do it all week long, but I would take a Strom or Tiger (or F-650) any day of the week.

IBA 22425
Old 06-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #50
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Yours is a nice looking bike, and I'm glad you like it. I would love to have one, but I would not care to load it down with my fat ass and luggage and cover long distances on a regular basis. The OP wanted a fire road bike. On a fire road, I don't know what advantage a 250 would have over the sweet F-650 he bought.
Better gas mileage? Well, to each their own - most of the 3,000 miles I've put on this thing has been loaded down, while being more comfortable than my Tiger was. I have 5,000+ miles of touring scheduled, and am very much looking forward to doing it on this bike. Then again, I'm 150 pounds dripping wet, and if you are bigger then a larger bike would seem to be a better choice.

P.S. At the time I was deciding on a bike to replace the Tiger, the BMW Xchallenge/Country was my 2nd choice. But I wanted something lighter and more bombproof, hence the WRR.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #51
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Better gas mileage? Well, to each their own - most of the 3,000 miles I've put on this thing has been loaded down, while being more comfortable than my Tiger was. I have 5,000+ miles of touring scheduled, and am very much looking forward to doing it on this bike. Then again, I'm 150 pounds dripping wet, and if you are bigger then a larger bike would seem to be a better choice.

P.S. At the time I was deciding on a bike to replace the Tiger, the BMW Xchallenge/Country was my 2nd choice. But I wanted something lighter and more bombproof, hence the WRR.

Add 100 pounds to your weight and you get the idea.

It's a nice bike and I would love to have a WR250, but since Texas interstate speed limits are pretty much all 75 to 85 mph (and as I'm sure others will attest, at 85 mph you are getting passed) I tend to follow the old adage, there's no substitute for cubic inches. I've ridden a shit load of interstate miles, and no slight to any bike, but you don't see a lot of thumpers pounding the interstate for a reason.

You got s nice bike though, I would love to have one for the back of the camper

IBA 22425
Old 06-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #52
rudk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I've had a WR250X for a year and a KTM 690 Duke R for two years. I've also had BMW F650xx bikes as loaners during service when I was riding a BMW.

WR250X will do 75 mph all day long, all week long, all year long like nothing. What you'll have to do is to replace the stock fuel tank - or you'll be looking for a gas station every 100 - 120 miles.

KTM 690 Duke (or any other KTM with the 690 engine for that matter) will do highways as long as you want. I've added the original KTM touring screen which is small, but very effective. Fuel range is very good, despite the rather small fuel tank of 13.5 liter. In NORMAL riding - i.e. 75 - 85 mph on the highway - I usually was in the 190 - 200 miles range before the reserve light came up. Fuel tank volume of 690 Enduro or 690 SMC is one liter less I believe.

BMW F650xx - good bike, fun to ride, even more economical than the KTM, but less thrilling than the KTM.
rudk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #53
BigCanoe OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
I would love to have a few bikes, but I cant get my wife to ride with me much less ride one by herself! Time to work on getting the kids to ride I guess :)

I would seriously have considered a WR but my riding is light on dirty and heavy on cruising. That said I still like to be able to get off the pavement a little, so a cruiser or sport bike wouldnt do.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #54
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,068
Your problem is you don't know the Yamaha. It is light years ahead of the thing you ride. Nah, I vote the Yamaha better all around than any 400+ pound dual sport singles.

With a flyscreen, buttpad, luggage and electric gear, my Yammer is quite comfortable. My trips are generally 10 days and maybe 2k miles. Mostly AZ, NM, UT, CO, NV and MT. My riding buddies ride KLR's so that is my measure. That, plus my old 950 KTM, which I rode 60k miles all over the continent. And I had a MZ 690 Street moto for a few years too.

The 950 was too heavy to ride solo in remote places, which is why I bought the Yammer. It was so good I replaced my 950 with a more powerful WR250R, my 690R!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Pantah, where did the "pick the bike up out of the mud" scenario come from for the OP? This fellow is going to be on dirt roads as his biggest challenge. As I said in my earlier post about the WRR and KLX...and I own a modded KLX...they are great bikes...just not the best tool for this OP's needs and preferences. I will admit to seeing some dirt roads that turned into the Blackwater 100 when heavy rain hit, but that's totally avoidable, and that scenario sucks even on a 250 pound competition bike.

Oh...and I once saw a movie about an old man who rode a lawn tractor across 2 or 3 states one time. Yeah...it got the job done, but why suffer if you don't have to?
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #55
BigCanoe OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Clean, for now. I live on a gravel road, so clean is a temporary state at best.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #56
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,719
Congrats on the new bike! Sounds like a steal for what you got! Enjoy!!

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
FOR SALE 02 F650GS DAKAR
FOR SALE 2 KLR650s http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is online now   Reply With Quote