User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2005, 10:06 AM   #1
ajaxauto OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Smaller gas tank for a 640 Adventure

Since i have been trying to sell this bike and still have it and have been riding it like a real dirt bike.My question is there a smaller gas tank avalible like maybe
arount 3 or 4 gallons. Do not need a 7 gallon gas tank .Is there a factory tank or maybe a IMS or Clark tank .If i do not sell soon will strip it down and ride it like a dirt bike do not like the street thanks John
ajaxauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:16 AM   #2
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,339
I'm not aware of any third-party tanks, probably because if the four-point mounting to the fairing bracket and frame, plus the integration with the front fairing. You can fit a tank from other LC4s, but to make it work, you have to buy LOTS of ancillaries and it gets prohibitively expensive.

Why not just not fill it up? It's not very bulky between the knees and the weight of the unfilled tank isn't very high.

If I were just going to ride dirt, I'd adjust the price, sell it, and get a different bike. Wrong tool for the job.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:16 AM   #3
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxauto
Since i have been trying to sell this bike and still have it and have been riding it like a real dirt bike.My question is there a smaller gas tank avalible like maybe
arount 3 or 4 gallons. Do not need a 7 gallon gas tank .Is there a factory tank or maybe a IMS or Clark tank .If i do not sell soon will strip it down and ride it like a dirt bike do not like the street thanks John
There is the 18L enduro tank that probably could be retrofit, with changes to the fuel lines (disconnect fuel pump?), mounts, and the seat. Not sure if there is a smaller one - maybe a supermoto one?

search for KTM Parts on the web and you will get a bunch of suppliers - but you might wait for others to chime in on the details of such a change.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:31 AM   #4
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,748
SXC or enduro tank will work (same frame) but also consider that the seat has to work with the tank.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:43 AM   #5
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
SXC or enduro tank will work (same frame) but also consider that the seat has to work with the tank.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:55 AM   #6
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,480
Quote:
Doesn't the faring mount to the Adventure tank as well?
Old 07-29-2005, 11:12 AM   #7
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloyosh
yep. probably want the LC4-E fairing as well.

Old 07-29-2005, 11:15 AM   #8
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloyosh
Yes it does.

but if he wants to lighten up the bike you might as well turn it into an Enduro version in which case MJ makes a good point. (wrong tool for the job) because the Enduro version is still heavy for a dirt bike.

I rode the 625 Dakar tryout bike out in the desert (625 SXC with 640 fairing and tank) and it felt lighter but it wasn't convincing enough for me to give up my 640 Adv.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:15 AM   #9
Rocamojo
Toasted on both sides

Oddometer: 59
I've done exactly what you are describing with my 00 Adventure. I discovered I almost never rode the Adv on the street.

You will have to buy a new tank obviously and depending on which tank you pick, possibly a new seat. If you want to retain a headlight and/or street capability you'll find the stock headlight, shell, and mounting bracket from a 98 or later LC4 will work the best (i.e. bolt on). The LC4 headlights clear both the ignition lock cylinder AND the tab used to mount the Adv headlight frame. Then you will need to get real familiar with your owners manual wiring diagram!

As for which tanks fit, the tanks from 98 and later LC4s fit the best including the 18L (although I never ran one of these, just test a test fit. It was nearly as wide as the stock Adv tank). But you will have to change the seat to a later LC4 style. You can use the stock seat if you use a 97 RXC or some of the other earlier tanks. But a 96 RXC tank won't work with the stock seat, it uses an EXC type seat. If you go with the stock capacities for the earlier tanks they bolt right up with a little mount tweaking. If you go with the IMS large SXC tank (which I did) you will need to reform the tank with a heat gun to clear the radiators as the 98 and later radiators for the Advs are wider than those used with the earlier tanks. Others can probably provide further year model details.

All of this requires a fair bit of fiddling to get right, especially the wiring. I can swap either way in about 90 mins. Others on this site have done the same and have posted pics, probably worth a search.

However, I almost always use the Adventure set up now. The dirt capability with either set up is about the same as far as I can tell, and the bike loses that Dakar-style coolness when stripped. IMHO, the best thing you can do to enjoy it more as a dirt bike is get the suspension set up by a professional. The bike goes from being a street bike to a very capable large (its still large even after removing the Adv tank and fairing) dirt bike.
Rocamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:23 AM   #10
ajaxauto OP
Adventurer

Gas tank

Quote:
I want to strip it down change the tank get rid of the fairing ,spedo and all the
that stuff change the seat change the pipe try and make a stripped down almost still legal dirt bike .Also rework the suspention.What are my option no other 650 type bike is as good as the KTM 640 And i will not ride RED .Plus Yamaha Blue stops at 450 and that is not street legal.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:28 AM   #11
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Quote:
I want to strip it down change the tank get rid of the fairing ,spedo and all the
that stuff change the seat change the pipe try and make a stripped down almost still legal dirt bike .Also rework the suspention.What are my option no other 650 type bike is as good as the KTM 640 And i will not ride RED .Plus Yamaha Blue stops at 450 and that is not street legal.
Sell it and buy a 526 EXC and add cush wheels..
Old 07-29-2005, 11:37 AM   #12
ajaxauto OP
Adventurer

640 ktm

Quote:
Sell it and buy a 526 EXC and add cush wheels..

How does that work first i can not even sell this one for 4500 and then if i did a good 525 which is not as fast as a 640 would cost like 7 k i think i will save 3k and ride the heck out of what i got maybe not as good as what i want but a lot cheaper .Thanks everyone for all the responce John
Old 07-29-2005, 01:20 PM   #13
dino2000
No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,336
Atk 605

PM'd ya.
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:37 PM   #14
ajaxauto OP
Adventurer

Atk 560- 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino2000
PM'd ya.
Atk are bikes i know alot about.Back in 1984 at the finich line of Barstow to Vegas i was looking at Cris Crandles ATK 560 which he just over alled the race on.I had a Horse power C and J framed xr 500 and wanted a ATK.Talked to
Horst Leigner the owner and order one.What a deal i got i painted his car and 2 thousand dollars got me a new bike.I raced that bike until 1989 when the electric start604 came out.Warren Reid got the first one and i got the second one ever made.Deal again painted his wife car and another 2k got me a e button 604.At the dist 37 races i was the only one with a e button.What a bike won many races on that bike.In 1999 rode my friends new ATK which we won Vegas To Reno on it was more of a dual sport bike then a race bike.After the race i called ATK in utha since Horst did not own it any more and asked the people there if i payed more would they help me build a new ATK race bike .The answer i got was you are not the custermer we are looking for anymore ATK is looking for mid 40 yearold guys wanting easy riding dual sport bikes.I said to them are you telling me to go buy a yamaha 400 and ATK said yes so in 1999 i got a yz 400 .My buddy and i raced all 5 BEST IN THE DESERT
over 40 class that year and won them all.To this day ATK still will not work with me on a new bike.I still have my old 1989 604 maybe i should dual sport that bike .I sure miss the power to this day i have never ridden a faster dirt bike it would go over a 100 and still keep pulling. Might notbe the best handleing bike but it sure was fast .
Old 07-29-2005, 04:02 PM   #15
Rocamojo
Toasted on both sides

Oddometer: 59
John,

If you do strip down the Adv, I 'm guessing you won't be able to hit 300lbs no fuel without losing some counterbalancers and converting to wet sump. That's even if you use the SXC aluminum subframe and aftermarket exhaust. If you want to go under 300, I don't see how you can do it without either a lot of titanium and carbon fiber or losing the electric start.

FWIW an old buddy of mine had an ATK framed XR600 in the 80s that he desert raced. I actually liked that bike but often wondered what it would do with the Rotax motor.
Rocamojo is offline   Reply With Quote