User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #136
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Bacon for a tire change

It's really amazing what the promise of bacon will get you from a fellow FF. I went over to VegasGSA's house yesterday with a new Heidenau K60 rear tire and a bag full of chicharonne con carne. That's deep fried pork belly for those of you not familiar with this little slice of bacon heaven.

After a quick session of raising the cholorestral I pretty much sat around providing moral support while Bill dropped sweat balls on my rear wheel fighting a stiff wall K60. I was impressed with his technique and learned a lot. Like it's worth the bacon to have someone else fight tires for you.

Thanks again and it was nice to finally meet your lovely wife.

A shot of Bill in action.

I was also able to check out one of his reworked drive shafts. Quality stuff, I know where to go when it's time for drive shaft work!

Postponing retirement one farkle at a time!
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #137
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

While this technically isn't a farkle I added a piece of rescue gear to my tool kit. It's a Z drag that will allow me to yard a motorcycle up out of a ditch if the need ever arises.

My Z Drag kit is similar to this one you can buy from Best Rest.

https://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-3...ystem-mrs.aspx

My kit has 75' of 6mm cord that is rated at 1975 pounds, 1 10' anchor, 2-pretied prusics, 4 carabiners, 2 pulleys and a detailed directions card. I was able to pull all of this stuff out of my rafting gear with the exeption of the 75' of cord. $30 for the rope and 3.5 pounds seems to be a reasonable price to pay for a recovery system that I hope I never need to use.

A few pictures of the kit.

All the parts

All the parts strapped together for compact storage.

The stuff sack that weighs in at 3.5 pounds.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #138
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

In an effort to get ready for the Copper Canyon ride coming up in 11 days I picked up a few more pieces of gear for the trip.

I picked up a Redverz Tent, a Watershed Dry bag to haul the tent, a cooling vest and a Camelbak Thermobak 3L mil-spec pack.

Link to tent
http://shop.redverz.com/categories/T...FYl_QgodP2AASQ

Link to Watershed Dry bag
http://drybags.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?...y_Code=Duffels

Link to cooling vest
http://store.mm411.com/index.cfm?fus...&ParentCat=294

Link to Camelbak
http://shop.camelbak.com/thermobak_3..._c_402_cl_1071

After seeing the Redverz tent in action a few times I decided I was to old to be crawling in and out of a small tent. These things have "bags of space" and a vestubile you can have a party in. I needed a way to carry the tent that fit into my existing luggage system which means I needed to have a longer length and smaller diameter tent bag than stock. That's were the Watershed Yukon dry bag comes in. It gives me the ability to re-roll the tent to make it 5 inches longer than the stock stuff bag. There is still a lot of room inside the Yukon bag and I'll need to find a few more straps to compress it into a tight roll. The Watershed bag is also 100% waterproof and pretty tough.

Watershed Yukon with tent inside

Camelbak and cooling vest

The Camelbak Thermobak 3L is a nice piece of kit. It has a thicker bladder with a baffle in it to keep it flatter on your back. One of the other features I really like is the shutoff valve out by the bite valve. Having the tube insulated will also come in handy down in Mexico.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #139
DRTII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM View Post
Another 150 on the clock this morning. It was kind of a hazy day looking down on the Columbia River from Old German Town Road. I'll see if I can get a better picture of the Columbia on this afternoons break in ride. 41% to my way to the 600 mile service. I'm trying to get the bike in for a service early next week so I can try and make the Touratech Rally on 27th.

Another sweet GSA in WA. Can you give an update on how the rest of the year went with this bike? I'm tempted to check one out.