Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #31
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch.f22 View Post
Touratech spoiler looks great... might have to give that a try. How do you like the seat?

- Justin
2013 1200 GSA
I've been busy tweakin things on the bike. I did a quick couple laps around the block so I don't have enough time on it to tell. But I know I'm going to be happy with it. It feels just like the Day Long I have on my 1150.

Lower crash guards.....Done
GPS mount................Done

Next up Rox Risers.

Postponing retirement one farkle at a time!
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #32
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

I just gave the Russell a short test ride up Washougal River Road. Man that new leather is slick. It feels a lot better than the stock seat. As soon as I wear the slickness off it's gonna be a winner.

The lower crash bars are impressive. High quality construction and pretty easy to install.

A pic of the bike at the put in for the Washougal River white water run.

A close up of the lower crash bars and the Pivot Pegz.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #33
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

I got the Rox Risers installed this morning. It was really a pretty simple job once I got the right tool to tighten the bolt head that's hidden under the riser. A big thanks for those folks who have put the pictures of their install process on the forum. Now it's time for a test ride to see if I have the vibration problem.

Next up on the farkle list will be the Touratech XL luggage rack and a tank bag. That should get me set up to ride long! I'm looking forward to getting out and putting some miles on this thing instead of spending so much time in the garage.

JM screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 08:10 AM
Old 06-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #34
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

After I installed the Rox Risers this morning I took it out for a quick test spin around the neighborhood. The Rox Risers are the most successful mod to date. With the Russell Day Long coming in a close second. The standing up position is now real close to what I am used to on the 1150 ADV. Man-O-Man did this thing feel good zipping around the city streets standing up throwing my weight in all directions. I'm sure the people who live in my test ride neighborhood though I was crazy, hammering the throttle then mashing the brakes while standing up throwing my weight all over the bike. I feel a lot better now about being able to control the extra HP compared to my 1150.

A quick word about offroading with a Russell Day Long. I think it's a far superior off road saddle compared to the stock one. When you throw your weight back and squat down (think floating in deep sand) you can lock your legs on the side wings of the Russell. Doing this really keeps you locked in position. Knees locked to the tank in front and locked to the Russell in the rear. It works very well for me.

After the test ride I started looking at the 1150 and then it hit me. If I cut some length off the quick adjust handle bar levers I could move them over to the 1200.

With these two mods today I'm ready for a little off road action.

Photo of the Rox Risers with the Quick Adjust Levers.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #35
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

Since have issues with product liability lawyers telling me not to be stupid I made this minor mod this afternoon.

Before....Do I really need someone to tell me to latch the lids and not exceed 111.6 MPH haulin my camping gear?

After.... Much cleaner look

Old 06-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #36
EODMatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
What brand lower crash bars did you go with? Bike looks sharp!
EODMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #37
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EODMatt View Post
What brand lower crash bars did you go with? Bike looks sharp!
The lower crash bar is made by Adventure Designs. After looking at all the bars on the market I felt this one had the best and stoutest clamp design.

http://www.advdesigns.com/r1gsaenguex.html

Old 06-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #38
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

My pals at Touratech and the local Big Brown Package Car Driver were very nice to me yesterday. I got home from work this morning and found more farkles on my porch.

A tank bag and the one piece XL rear rack. The rack has to be the easiest farkle I've ever installed. VERY SLICK! It mounts to the stock rear seat mounts. Turn the key pop in the rack, screw in one allen head bolt and its on. It provides a great place to strap down my traveling gear.

Apologies for the crummy inside the garage picture. I hope to have some actual travel pictures this weekend. On the road all geared up kind of stuff.

Next up I dive into wiring. Electrify the tank bag, add 4 accessory ports and one maybe 2 aftermarket lighting circuits.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #39
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

A quick mod before heading to work.

I've had the universal sign for nuclear disarmament, designed in 1958, on my rides for quite a while. Time to sticker up the 1200, just like the 1150. I also added a little DOT reflective tape to the bottom and top of each pannier.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #40
Nitzo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,794
You are doing some really nice stuff. I like your ride.
Nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #41
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitzo View Post
You are doing some really nice stuff. I like your ride.
Thanks.

I may have a slight advantage over a lot of new bike owners. I've put quite a few multi week rides in on my '03 R1150G-Adventure. Applying the lessons on what works and what i really need from my 1150 adventures takes a lot of the guesswork out of the 1200 equation. Farkleing the 1200 is taking a lot faster pace then the work I did on my 1150.

I still need to figure out how to melt the eyes out of those hooved rodents on night rides. I'm all for a multiple HID solution but the advances in LED technology is impressive.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #42
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

USPS was very good to me yesterday. The electrical components I need to power the GPS and charge stuff in my tank bag showed up.

Now the question is do I want to spend the next 2 days pulling plastic, playing with my heat gun and shrink tubing or go out and ride? What to do? What to do?

I hope the Power Hub works out as advertised. It will be nice to have 6 circuits that can be changed from switched to always hot by just repositioning the fuse.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/power...isted-throttle

Old 06-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #43
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM View Post
... I don't like to see my bikes on trailers but sometimes you do what you gotta do...
At least you picked it up with a kick ass van!
Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #44
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

I rode down to the local dealer this morning and picked up a part they special ordered for me. A handle bar cross brace, part number 71607701942. I needed a way to mount the old school 376C GPS and Touratech shock mount in a way similar to the setup on the 1150. It was very easy to install and matches the bars perfect. At $75 it was even a little cheaper than some of the after market solutions I've been able to find.

With GPS mounted

View of cross bar and gps looking over the tank bag.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #45
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Manoshevitz! You know how to FARKLE a bike! Looking good, JM. Looking real good.

'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote