Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #46
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM View Post
I rode down to the local dealer this morning and picked up a part they special ordered for me. A handle bar cross brace, part number 71607701942. I needed a way to mount the old school 376C GPS and Touratech shock mount in a way similar to the setup on the 1150. It was very easy to install and matches the bars perfect. At $75 it was even a little cheaper than some of the after market solutions I've been able to find.
Believe it or not, Touratech sells the crossbar for half the price.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #47
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Manoshevitz! You know how to FARKLE a bike! Looking good, JM. Looking real good.

Thanks for the compliment. Stay tuned there's more to come.

These trinkets are just the bare minimum items for basic multi week vacation travel. I'm still in the planning phase for a lighting system that will melt Bambi's eyes.

Postponing retirement one farkle at a time!
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #48
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Believe it or not, Touratech sells the crossbar for half the price.
Yes they do, but if you check closely their cross bar isn't compatible with the OEM Adventure hand guards. At least that's what Matt told me when I checked into it.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #49
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

I started doing a little digging into the bike this morning. The thing looks a lot different without the plastic.

Items to install
1-Twisted Throttle Power hub
2-Relays for accessory lights
2-Powerlett sockets on the beak
1-Powerlett socket on the left side close to the passenger foot peg
1-Powerlett socket on the right side close to the passenger foot peg
1-Set of Baja Designs Squadron lights
1-Touratech oil cooler guard
Route wires for a Baja Designs 8" OnX light bar. (if the Squadrons aren't bright enough for me.)

It looks like I'll be waiting a few days for parts so it will probably be next weekend before I'm back riding.

You can see the location I decided to mount the Twisted Throttle Power Hub. Its a slick piece of kit. It has 6 circuits and allows you to decide which circuit is switched or hot by changing the fuse position left or right.

It's time to get back down to the garage and get after it. I decided to take a nap before I broke out the drill and made some holes in the beak for the Powerlett sockets.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #50
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

I got a few things done this afternoon. I got all 4 powerlett sockets installed and I removed the stock DRL's. I plan on using the DRL switch on the left control module to switch the Squadrons. I was planning on showing more of the process of drilling the holes in the beak for the sockets but being somewhat of a space cadet today I forgot to put the memory chip in my camera.

The service tech I talked to yesterday about hints on installing the sockets told me there wasn't a need to pull the beak off. I'm glad I did. It made the job a lot easier. It's going to be nice to have it out of the way when I start tucking the wiring away also.

Powerlett sockets on the beak

Powerlett socket on the left side. The right side socket is in basically the same position.

A better look at the Twisted Throttle Power Hub. There is an onboard relay that helps make the install compact and simple. Changing the position of the fuse right or left on the board determines if the circuit is switched or hot. I plan on triggering the relay from the stock power outlet socket on the left side just under the tool tray.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:06 AM   #51
EODMatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Awesome pics and documentation. Thanks for sharing. Sweet farkles, I'm starting to get jealous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
EODMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #52
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

5 more farkles on the 4th of July
1-Oil cooler protector
2-Side Stand foot print enlarger
3-Adjustable shift lever
4-Rear Brake pedal enlarger
5-Kaoko throttle lock or cruise control.

Oil Cooler Protector

Side Stand foot print enlarger

Adjustable shift lever

Rear Brake Pedal enlarger

Kaoko throttle lock

Old 07-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #53
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

Make that 6 for the 4th of July. I forgot I added an Aluminum Raid Box I picked up on a group buy in the vendor section. It makes a nice place to isolate your spare oil from spilling and getting all over other pannier items.

Raid box

Old 07-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #54
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

Hello my name is John and I'm the luckiest person on the planet.

I cut holes in the beak to mount the powerlett sockets and installed the sockets in the beak a couple of days ago. Tonight I was getting serious about running the wires so I figured I'd put the beak back on and see how things look. I get about 2 feet away from the bike when I notice there are actually holes on the metal supporting structure on the frame that have to line up with the socket holes in the beak.

F-ME! I set the beak down and immediately walk away, pissed off at myself wondering how much a new beak will cost because I didn't even think about lining up the holes in the frame. Max BMW wants $305! After I calm down a bit I decide to go back to the garage and see if I can make some kind of a plate to cover the hole I knew I cut in the wrong spot.

I put the beak back on still wondering how I'm going to fix this self inflicted wound. Now for the thing that makes me the luckiest person on the planet. The freakin holes line up! The powerlett sockets plug in and the holes for the winglets are perfectly matched.

What are the odds of that?

Old 07-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #55
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

My new best friend from Big Brown gave me a pair of Baja Designs Squadron lights this afternoon. They say big light comes out of these small units. WOW are they small looking, just 3 inches square. They ooze quality. I threw them on to see how they mount so I can get the wiring done. With any luck I'll have this massive wiring project done by tomorrow night and give the lights a test run. I did decide to pull enough wires to add another 2 lights if these 2 don't light things up to my light snob standards.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=497083

The pictures show them mounted on top of the crash bar. I may move them below the crash bar if the beak cuts into the beam pattern.

The very high quality 1" crash bar mount allows for full adjustment.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #56
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

After waking up this morning and looking at this

I decided to take a break, drive the 8 miles up to the Washougal MX Track and look at this instead.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #57
yyzmdo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Great thread JM

Keep up the good work.

It's going to be sad when you are finished the farkling but the roads await you!!
Old 07-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #58
Botch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
John, a big Congrats that the socket holes you drilled in the beak lined up with the frame.
But, I gotta ask, why do you have sockets out on the beak??
Botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #59
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botch View Post
John, a big Congrats that the socket holes you drilled in the beak lined up with the frame.
But, I gotta ask, why do you have sockets out on the beak??
Because I have mutantly long arms? I guess technically you are correct. the sockets aren't on the beak.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...4&rnd=04302013

They are on the wheel cover, front.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #60
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

I guess that last reply was a bit on the snarky side. Must be a byproduct of spending to much time in the basement with Jo Momma.

The real reason is that's where I had power sockets on my 1150. My GPS and tank bag wiring are set up to plug into sockets at those spots. The folks at BMW actually expect accessory ports to be located there as well. If you look under the beak you will notice there are cutouts in the metal support structure specifically designed for accessory sockets. BMW even offers a kit with a paper template to tape on the top of the beak to mark the place where the holes in the support structure are. I bought Powerlett products to do the accessory sockets and luckily hacked my way through the job instead of using a template.