Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 02:55 AM   #76
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
JM,

Get a set of Ztechnik levers. They're easier to use and look much better.

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/Z5202
Thanks for the tip.

These kind of make me wonder if I could rig up a set of Campy axle quick releases to work........I think I have a couple of Record 10 speed QR's laying around somewhere..

Postponing retirement one farkle at a time!
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #77
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

My plan to mount a 8" OnX light bar under the beak on the '13 GSA is coming together nicely. This morning I mounted a set of 1" crash bar clamps with the hopes the Super Tenere brackets will position the light bar far enough below the beak not to interfere with the light pattern. I also converted the left Squadron to a wide cornering light. My lighting plan is to have a 8" OnX spot shining up the middle for long range penetration. A Squadron combo on the right for mid range light aimed a little right to give me as much warning as possible when Bambi is coming in from the right ditch. And a Squadron wide cornering on the left for wide angle close range light. This will effectively give me the equilivent of a customized 24" light bar.

I will not be using any dimmers or strobe modes with these lights. These will be way to bright to run in any kind of traffic during the day or night. All the lights will be controlled through the stock OEM fog light switch. This setup will only be used on night runs in areas with little to no traffic.

This is a link to the Super Tenere 8" OnX that will show you the bracket and how it attaches to the light. I can mount the brackets on the light on either side if one mount position helps me lower the position of the light under the beak.
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=457043

I picked up a few more farkles at the MOA Rally in Salem this weekend. As soon as I get them installed I'll post a few pictures.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #78
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

I've got 3 of the 5 farkles I picked up at the MOA installed and thought I'd post a few pictures. Next up will be the Battery Splash Guard and the Baja Designs 8" OnX Led Spot Light Bar.

Fuel Line protector

Center Stand Skid Plate

Removable Headlight Guard

A few photos I took at the Rally to show I actually do ride the bike

My camp........shade=good

My buddy Tad on his 800GS heading into the mud pit during the GS Giant competition

Oh Tad.....this isn't going to end well

The 2012 Mayan Rally sticker on the windscreen did keep the pieces from falling off.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #79
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

I was able to take the '13 1200GSA for a first date in the dirt today. Fellow inmate VegasGSA was there to act as chaperone. Good times.

I felt like I was able to get to second base and most of the way to third. I'm starting to really appreciate the advances of the 1200GSA compared to my previous companion a '03 1150GSA. I did add one farkle to the bike on todays ride but it was a temporary one.

VegasGSA's red GSA on the left my GSA on the right. See if you can spot the farkle.

A close up to the brake system farkle.

I thought the brake felt a little odd for the last several miles. I have no idea when I picked up the stick.

JM screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 07:45 AM
Old 08-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #80
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

Fellow inmate VEGASGSA was kind enough to act as chaparone on my second date in the dirt with the new GSA. Today I actually used the quick adjust handle bar farkle to change the angle of the handle bar and am pleased to report it helped a lot. On last weeks ride I felt like I was still a little hunched over when riding standing up. Tilting the bars up was raised me up just enough to be dang close to perfect.

Todays ride was a little rougher than last weeks and I got a little better taste of the capabilities of the 1200GSA compared to the 1150GSA. I was able to drop the RPM a little lower than the old bike and still chug my way out of pot holes in second gear. On the 1150GSA I would have had to drop it into first.

Baja Designs was scheduled to get in a new shipment of the 4300 Lumen 8"OnX lights in on Friday and hopefully they shipped my next farkle out Friday afternoon. That's next up on the list for upgrades. I hope to have it mounted by next week when I head up for the Riders For Health Scavanger Hunt Rally out of Brinnon Washington.
http://www.payitsquare.com/collect-page/10451

Photo at Goose Lake from todays ride. A rider from the Rally in the Gorge XI was kind enough to come around the corner just in time to add a little moto background to my picture.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #81
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,703
How are you liking your Russell seat for offroad? I have a feeling after having spent thousands of dollars on seats for my GSA, I'll only be happy with a Russell, but the wider wings are the only thing holding me back.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #82
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
How are you liking your Russell seat for offroad? I have a feeling after having spent thousands of dollars on seats for my GSA, I'll only be happy with a Russell, but the wider wings are the only thing holding me back.
The wings on the Russell two piece saddle design 1200GSA are about 1 1/2" closer to the center of the handle bar risers than the wings on the single (Rally type seat) design on my 1150GSA. Having the wings farther forward than I was used to was bugging the crap out of me on my first off road day last week. Today I didn't notice the wings being a problem. Last week the wings were rubbing the back of my legs when standing but for what ever reason today they weren't. Maybe the difference was due to me rotating the bars up which put me in a more upright position. I really liked using the wings on the saddle of my '03 1150GSA as a leg lock position when I threw my weight back.

After a few more days of off road riding where I can dial in my riding position I think I'll be able to live with the new Russell off road. I've got about 1500 miles on the saddle now and it's starting to get the broken in feel when I'm sitting. Another 1000 or so and I'm sure it will be molded to the shape of my back side. Both of the Russells I've had have the heavy duty spring option. I think it takes them a little while to flatten out to match your butt.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #83
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,964
JM...

Untitled

The much faster Red version..

Untitled
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #84
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Vegas,

Are those the Altrider crash bars you're rocking?
Old 08-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #85
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
Vegas,

Are those the Altrider crash bars you're rocking?
Yep..more pix?
Old 08-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #86
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Yep..more pix?
No, that would just bring me down After my get off, mine are being replaced with OEM bars again by the dealer. I forgot Altrider made some, because I think the price would've been the same.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #87
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM View Post
Thanks for the tip.

These kind of make me wonder if I could rig up a set of Campy axle quick releases to work........I think I have a couple of Record 10 speed QR's laying around somewhere..
Disregard. I guess the older versions were made of aluminum, but these are made of plastic and are already deforming. Now there's not many positions the windscreen can be in without much free play. I'm going to return to the standard knobs when I get my bike back. These things are junk for what they charge.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #88
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
Disregard. I guess the older versions were made of aluminum, but these are made of plastic and are already deforming. Now there's not many positions the windscreen can be in without much free play. I'm going to return to the standard knobs when I get my bike back. These things are junk for what they charge.
Cee Baileys has upgraded windshield bolt thingy's..
Old 08-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #89
JM OP
Studly Adventurer

A couple new farkles thanks to a quick stop at Tourtech Seattle Friday morning on my way to the Riders for Health Rally in Brinnon Washington.

A windscreen spoiler. And a nice ADV sticker that I got in the mail Thursday. Very quality stickers by the way.

Touratech crash bar bag for the OEM crash bars

I've decided the 8" OnX mounted under the beak isn't going to work due to clearance bewteen the fender and the light mounted under the beak. Under full compression the fender will spank the light.

Next farkel will be a single bottle mount on the front of the right pannier.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #90
mr.slowpokey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
bdcw light bar

Check out black dog cycle works, they have a light bar mount that mounts above the fender and uses a 6" light bar.
mr.slowpokey is offline   Reply With Quote