Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #16
dholaday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Headed out of Austin relatively early Saturday morning trying to escape the heat. Got to Lubbock with no problems - temperatures a balmy 98 at 5pm.

There ere a bunch of crazy young people [i.e., under 30] at my motel getting ready to run a half Iron Man on Sunday. It rained over night so temps dropped a little for them.

Ran into this chap at gas station on my way out of town. Maybe it DRONE [white set up] or DirtyDR [note industrial trailer] coming back from the future. He said he'd had the trailer since '92 and been all over with it, including Alaska.

[IMG][/IMG]

Then I was off to Santa Fe. Passed thru Fort Sumner - here we are at the Billy the Kid Museum.

[IMG][/IMG]

At Cline's Corner on Route 66. Clines is like a mini-Wall Drug.

[IMG][/IMG]

At the Plaza in Old Town Santa Fe. Great weather there.

[IMG][/IMG]

Saw old friends - did the same Monday in Albuquerque, then headed on to Chinle AZ and Canyon de Chelly. Back into the heat.

Rig has been running well except an intermittent vibration that I am blaming on the K60 interacting poorly with crappy road surfaces. I get a constant harsh vibration above 75mph [GPS] especially into a headwind. Not sure what is going on with that.

Duncan
Old 07-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #17
BMWLady
KSRH

Oddometer: 7
How does the hack's windshield work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday View Post
Sorry I haven't updated this thread in a while. Combination of not much to post, and being in a laptop internet desert [I don't have DirtyDR's network skill set].

Here are a couple of shots taken in Idaho at Craters of the Moon National Park. It's an interesting place - 25 cinder cone volcanos in the Park, ground covered with sharp gnarly lava, nothing you'd want to ride on.
First pic is of Big Cinder Butte, 2d is at North flow [or some such] on Park loop road.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The park is part of a caldera system that's been created over the last 2 or 3 million years as that part of the North American Plate migrates southwestward over a hot spot in the underlying magma. The hot spot is now under Yellowstone. Plate movement is about 2" per year - Maybe if DaveBig hangs around long enough Minnesota will warm up from below
I see the pictures of the hack with only the tonneau cover and then, viola, it has a windshield when you picked up MM. How does that work? DH says I need a windshield but I'm thinking aerodynamics to just have a tonneau cover.

Thanks.

Karen Rodgers
Phoenix, AZ
BMWLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
dholaday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Karen:

It folds into the rig. I'm on a R..e..a..l...l..y slow internet connection so I'm not uploading photos. I'll take a couple of photos tomorrow and put them up for you.

I only use the windshield when I have a passenger. Can't think of any other reason to have one.

What kind of sidecar do you have?

Duncan
Old 07-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #19
dholaday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm way behind on updating this thread. I'll post and then add pictures later.

Left Santa Fe on Monday, July1 and went to Albuquerque to visit a good friend there who is even older than me - had a great time catching up. Great thing about being our age is that we could have the same conversation 2 or 3 times and it was always new.

Left Abuqueque on 7/2 headed for Canyon de Chelly. Ran into LOTS of scattered thunder showers between Fort Defiance and Tsaile [at the intersection of N12 and N64]. I don't like riding in lightning with no place to take cover. Pulled off at a high mountain lake rec area and darned near didn't make it out - that red dirt turns into very slick mud when wet. Gave the locals a show and a laugh.

de Chelly is an interesting place - at east end surrounding country side is at about 7200 feet and drops to about 5500 at west end. You can't see the Canyon until you are right up on it - its cut down into the mesa[s]. Roughly 1200-1000 feet deep at the east and 45 feet at the west end. Park Ranger says it was all formed by run-off from the surrounding country-side. No river runs into it. The Navajos still live and farm in it.

Here's one of my typically lousy photos.

[IMG][/IMG]

On 7/3, from Canyon de Chelly to Monument Valley.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #20
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,960
Yeah Duncan ! The your still alive and kicking.DB
Old 07-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #21
dholaday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

7/3 Canyon de Chelly > Monument Valley

Did some more touring of Canyon de Chelly 7/3 morning - ran the south rim road [N7]. Took some pics but none of them turned out - even an iPhone defeats me sometimes. It's too bad because that is the side with Spider Woman Rock - a really impressive spire that's been used in a bunch of commercials and movies.

Then headed to Monument Valley. There's not much on N59 from Many Farms to Kayenta except sand and rock; mostly sand. This was the most greenery I saw on that entire 60-mile run.

[IMG][/IMG]

Checked into my room at Goulding's Lodge and took this pic - lot of western and western movie history associated with the lodge and MV.

[IMG][/IMG]

Obligatory picture of the left and right mittens in MV.

[IMG][/IMG]

I wasn't able to do the 17-mile loop road "NO MOTORCYCLES!!!" altho I'm fairly certain the rig would have done just fine, even in the loose sand.

Thursday [7/4] morning I woke to find that the smoke from the AZ forest fires had settled in. Here's the same view as above from my room.

[IMG][/IMG]

A real tragedy about the 19 Hot Shots who lost their lives fighting the fire.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #22
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,355
Looking good.

Canyon De Chelly is one of my favorite places. Monument Valley isn't bad either.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #23
airspro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Nice write up , having problems on the road sucks big time :( . Glad you got it going .

I see you about went the same way we came back from Ca.

If anyone stays in Springfield , Mo . I can't say enough about this motel . Very nice and was priced right IMO . They let us check in early and the room overlooked the pool , had REAL chairs that fit big men and nice a room . Lucky us ( my wife Debora_Cay and me ) got to stay the second day here waiting for our trailer home , instead of standing on the side of the road .

Interesting trips are at least not BORING :)

best
spro
airspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #24
dholaday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pissed No more posts from me on This thread

I just spent a lot of time typing [ok, i'm a slow typist], loading pictures up to smugmug and down to this site and then the $%@**&%$$ site decided I wasn't working fast enough so it logged me off and I lost everything I had done.

To heck with it.

I'm home. Rig is in Enumclaw getting fender and frame repaired.

That's all.
Duncan
Old 07-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #25
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Welcome home

Congratulations that was a big trip, I don't know how many sidecar miles you've logged before this but for a long trip with breakdowns you've done well.

I hope to dog they are getting that swaybar off before you really hurt your self !!!!! :
Old 07-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #26
dholaday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

DB:

I've got about 15,000 sidecar miles in since I bought the rig from Elmer last August. 90% paved roads. 9.5% well-manicured dirt & gravel. 0.5% stuff I [with my riding skills] had no business on.

Day I left Moab for cooler climes I did 575 miles in 11 hours including dealing with broken fender and cracking frame. Not quite in DirtyDR territory but close. Next day was 390 miles in 6.5 hours with the nasty fender and a cracked frame.

DirtyDR: Have you done Valley of the Gods and Moki Dugway?

Duncan
Old 07-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #27
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Duncan your ahead of me but not by as much as I thought, I'm just figuring out how this all works now.In fact only lately am I glad I went through with the whole sidecar thing. So riding the damn things without being an acrobat is coming along finally.I knew it couldn't be as hard as I was making it, " the going in too hot" thread has been helpful. I had some really worn sore shoulders at the start but learning finesse seems to relieve allot discomfort. Being a gearhead I like machines.DB
Old 07-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #28
JohnnyMac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Know the feeling as we had a drive shaft break on our R80 GS in the back blocks of Queensland. Had 5 great days waiting for a replacement while meeting locals, attending a cattle muster and relaxing. Seems easier to remember breakdowns then some other parts of a trip. Happy trails.
JohnnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #29
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
...I'm home. Rig is...getting...repaired.... That's all....
Welcome home Duncan. Thanks for the pics from Canyon de Chelly & Monument Valley.
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #30
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,355
Quote:
DB:

I've got about 15,000 sidecar miles in since I bought the rig from Elmer last August. 90% paved roads. 9.5% well-manicured dirt & gravel. 0.5% stuff I [with my riding skills] had no business on.

Day I left Moab for cooler climes I did 575 miles in 11 hours including dealing with broken fender and cracking frame. Not quite in DirtyDR territory but close. Next day was 390 miles in 6.5 hours with the nasty fender and a cracked frame.

DirtyDR: Have you done Valley of the Gods and Moki Dugway?

Duncan
That is a good day of riding by anybody's standards.

Yes I have done the Moki Dugway and been in the Valley of the Gods many times. That is a great part of the country for riding but a little too warm for me this time of year.

99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote