ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #16
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny M. View Post
I've been waiting for this RR since the Mendocino Rally
Same here.

Enjoy the ride Dean (and friends) and good luck. Ride safe.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #17
mootsuno OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Hey everybody,

Just a quick update, we will do a full ride report later, but we'll try to keep you going with some recent events.

So far, we have been to the flight 93 memorial and Gettysburg, through a massive thunder and hail storm with flooded freeways and scared drivers, wet brick roads and giant lawns on every property.

Dipped our feet in the Atlantic Ocean in Delaware, went across the bridge in Chesapeake Bay, through Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky and into Tennessee.

Met Gas Guy ( another ADVer) in Virginia, got speeding ticket(s) in a small town in W. Virginia and even took pictures with the friendly cops.

We will post pictures later.

Currently we are 12 miles from the TAT trail head and will be heading out first thing tomorrow morning.

Don't know when we will be posting next as we are using the hotel computer.

So until next time.......let the adventure continue.....
Old 06-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #18
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,896
Thanks for the update.
I can't wait to hear more, especially the full blown ride report when you are done !!!
Good luck.Be safe.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #19
mootsuno OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
QuickTime iPad update

We started the official trail today. About 8 miles in one of the infamous water crossings got Pete. Filled the exhaust, airbox and crankcase up with water.

I rode back into town to get fresh oil, got it changed and running again. Total time about an hour and a half.

Back on the trail, met some kids riding the trail too. Just graduated from Virginia tech and heading all the way to California.. They gave me a chip for my GPS with complete tracks to the end of the trail. I had a little problem with my routing, problem now solved.

Then later in the ride I was going around an uphill hairpin, on pavement, hit some heavy oil and spun. No damage to me or the bike, I didn't even go down myself. Just left standing there. You'll all be glad to know one of the kids got the spin on a GoPro, he might even be posting it tonight.

Oh, and we're in Monteagle, TN tonight. that's it for now.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #20
SanGJan
Janet

Oddometer: 30
Pissed I have photographic proof!

but I can't figure out how to post it -- anyone help a girl out? How do you post photos on this dinosaur of a site??
SanGJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #21
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 959
"use the IMG button, , that you see above the area where you type when you post. The image button let's you specify an Internet address (URL) to identify the image."
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919

Videos are covered here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385793

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanGJan View Post
but I can't figure out how to post it -- anyone help a girl out? How do you post photos on this dinosaur of a site??

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #22
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Whats going on ?? Where are you guys at !!!
Old 07-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
Greg@RME
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
Ran into these 2 today, in Lake City Colorado. Leadman (Pete) isn't doing so well... sounds like the TAT trip is over for him after a nasty spill and a buggered up knee.

From our conversation, Dean is going to try meet up with some other TAT riders in Gunnison, CO and continue on. Sounds like Pete is going to ship his bike back home and probably catch a flight back home. His knee looked pretty bad.

Let me know if I can help you guys in any way! If Leadman needs a ride somewhere, a place to stash his bike or get it moved... I'm not too far away.
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #24
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
Ran into these 2 today, in Lake City Colorado. Leadman (Pete) isn't doing so well... sounds like the TAT trip is over for him after a nasty spill and a buggered up knee.

From our conversation, Dean is going to try meet up with some other TAT riders in Gunnison, CO and continue on. Sounds like Pete is going to ship his bike back home and probably catch a flight back home. His knee looked pretty bad.

Let me know if I can help you guys in any way! If Leadman needs a ride somewhere, a place to stash his bike or get it moved... I'm not too far away.
Thanks for the update.
I Hope the best for Pete.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #25
Leadman
Half Full....

Oddometer: 8
Quote:

Thanks Greg@RME, it was great meeting up with you and your crew and I really appreciate your offer.

My left knee is wasted ( for some reason I suck at left hand offroad turns and paid the price) so I'm holed up in Gunnison CO for a couple of days awaiting a flight back home.

Mootsuno(Dean) is forging on. He is currently in Monticello Utah after an exhausting day wrestling the steep, loose passes outside of Gunnison with an 11+mile technical section made more challenging due to a front fork fluid issue which limited available front travel to about 4 inches.

I'll continue to post on the solo exploits of Mootsuno as he continues his travels along the western portion of the TAT.

As for me, although I'm bummed that my journey along the TAT is over, it was an epic adventure that tested me on many levels.

Thanks to those of you for your thoughts and if by chance any of you are available to join Mootsuno along the way, I'm sure he would welcome the company.
Leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #26
Greg@RME
Mis-Adventurer

Gunnison isn't the worst place to be holed up for a few days, but it's still a small town! Have you got the flight squared away yet? How is the knee doing Pete, any better?
Old 07-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #27
Leadman
Half Full....

Quote:
Gunnison isn't the worst place to be holed up for a few days, but it's still a small town! Have you got the flight squared away yet? How is the knee doing Pete, any better?
Flying out this evening. I'm playing up the sympathy card while I hobble around the airport with the knee brace on.

Update on Mootsuno:

Dean arrived in Moab yesterday after riding pretty much non-stop. His lithium (ahem - Shorai) battery shorted out on him along the way but he was able to find a standard battery to fit his rig in some little out of the way place.

He also picked up a new Spot transponder so people can follow him, although he mentioned that he felt a bit vulnerable without it in remote areas.

I'll keep you all posted (along with a few photos) when I get the updates from Mootsuno and of course dean will provide a complete ride report at some point after he is finished.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #28
Leadman
Half Full....

Update on Mootsuno:

Update:

Mootsuno(Dean) arrived in Eureka NV the other day which is approximately 1/3 of the way across the state. He expects to be out of Nevada within the next couple of days.

He mentioned that he was in a remote area of Utah and who does he run across? None other than Sam Correro himself. Apparently, Sam was out checking on coordinates etc.

The going has been rough what with sketchy, narrow, barely visible trails and scrubbrush in many areas of Nevada. I can tell Dean is pushing it a bit as he sounds exhausted when I speak with him.

He has been running into two guys that we met in Colorado - Art and Nate. Art is 25 and hails from Long Beach, CA. Nate is 30 and a beast of a guy from Missouri that has no problem manhandling his loaded KTM 950. You can check out their thread on ADV - Nate and Arts Excellent TaTadventure (or something like that) http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896678

I'll post some photos once I get it figured out.

Leadman screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 03:48 PM
Old 07-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #29
Leadman
Half Full....

Here are a few photos, as promised.

Got the cop to laugh....but...we still got tickets. (Some little town in W.Virginia - wrote us up for 29 in a 25 )

Start of the Trail...

This water crossing bit me...note the angled rock surface...

And...it was only 105 degrees in the shade at 90% humidity.

This napping - snapping turtle was NOT happy when touched.

Hmmm....ya think?

Mootsuno under attack!!!

If it "looks" slippery.......

Dean will tell you that it is indeed. (He made it almost all the way across before going down for the count)

Just one of the many perils that we encountered along the way.

Somewhere in New Mexico.

Somewhere in Colorado.

"Roughing" it in Lake City, Colorado.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #30
Greg@RME
Mis-Adventurer

Looks like fun!