Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
skandero OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
The historical ride near Leningrad

Historical Ride near Leningrad
Thanks for the warm notes to my previous article.
Now I want to tell You a short story about one-day ride to some historical places near my native town - Saint-Petersburg (I call it Leningrad, because I was born in Leningrad))
Once I was riding through my city and stopped at the street, called Typanov's Street. Suddenly I thought: "And who was Typanov? Why the street is called after him?"
At home I've got some information:
Alexander Typanow was a soldier (exactly, machinegunner), who closed the enemy machinegun's sector of fire by his body. Russian troops where breaking the siege of Leningrad in 1944. The Typanov's squad was under heavy machinegun fire. Alexander thrown two grenades, but the fire continued. He ran forward, and fell right in front of the machinegun... The german bunker, which was suppressed by private Typanov, is the one and only bunker, that was not destroyed or dismounted after the War. It become a memoreal place.
We started in early morning, me, and my friend Sergey. The primary purpose was to visit the bunker, but I got some more historical places to go that day.
It was not easy to find the bunker. Firstly we came to the abandoned artillery training range, then to a small abandoned village ... At third attempt we found the mark:

Then we found the memoreal:
Looks like the memoreal is visited only at the Victory Day (May, 9)... Many plants, grass.

The bunker is very interesting. It has two embrasures - the upper is the aiming one, and the lower is for the machinegun. Looks like it was hard to supress it: the bunker was hit by artillery, but was not destroyed.
Also, now the bunker is located in the trench. I think, the bunker sunk into the ground, because fire sector is to small now to be efficient.

We honored the Hero with pistol shots, and started to the next object of interest.
The crematory in Izvara. Honesty, we don't know exactly about crematory. During the Leningrad siege there was a german concentration camp for the POW. So, there could be a crematory for the dead.
At 1935 there was a chalk plant. The production in 1941 (right before the war) was about 100 tons per 24 hours. The chalk furnaces probably were converted into the crematory by nazi troops. After the war the plant was restored, and at 1980 was completely stopped.

The next stop was "military graffiti".
Not ugly tags - the epic paint at the border of the military unit in Gatchina. Just look - I think, the soldiers like this))

click here to see the panoramic view

And the best - the Afghan. Really cool, I think.

The next target was the Memoreal of the Sky Defenders at the Lebyajye village.
But when we rode there, suddenly we saw the fortress - the famous Coporye.
And another gift for us - the Middle-Age festival in the fortress.

click to see panoramic view of the fortress

When the knights saw us, in armor and helmets, they called us to fight. It was a joke, of course) The competition was great - archers competition, horsemen fights, spear attacks.

The weather goes worth, and we proceeded to the next site.
When we passed near Leningrad Nuclear Power Plant, it was rainy. The plant is amazing - four reactors. You can see the reactor hall #2 on the photos below.

click to see LNPP (rainy)
click to see the plant after the rain

Then we visited the frontier of the siege, at Voronka river. That is the place, where nazi troops were stopped at the War. The heroic place, where our fathers and grandfathers stopped the agressors. Stopped at the sea, on the ground and in the air.

And finally, the Memoreal of the Sky Defenders.
This is legedary IL-2 attacking plane, also called "Flying tank". This plane was found in the lake Beloye at 1979, and was repaired to be used as a memorial. The crew was shot by two BF-109 at 1943.

That was the end of our short trip. The run was 530km in one day.
By the way, I found many new historical points, which are not popular, but will be great to visit. For example, the abandoned military airfield with old (1970 aprox) warplanes.
Sincerely, Ivan

skandero screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 12:05 AM Reason: fixing grammar)
skandero is offline   Reply With Quote