ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
Mtl_Biker OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Mtl_Biker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Oddometer: 553
Hawkesbury Ont to Scotch Road Tomorrow?

I'm looking for someone to join in a ride I'm planning on doing tomorrow... Hawkesbury Ontario, across the river and up the Scotch Road and around that area. It's not hard-core but there are a few challenging spots (I don't yet have a lot of off-road experience) including a shallow water crossing. I did it all by myself last Monday and then thought that I was a real idiot for doing it alone. If something had happened to me, I couldn't even have called for help as there's no cell service up there.

(I've now pre-ordered a Delorme InReach SE to be able to call for help from remote areas.)

There's safety in numbers. Anyone interested?
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal, Canada
Oddometer: 429
i wont suggest to ride with me and my sport touring bike, but I do want to know about that stretch of scotch road. It would make a neat little ride for those short half rainy days...

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Q...2,3,5&t=m&z=10

since you know the area:

question 1: from D to E, it looks like it would pass. does it?

question 2: is any of the above too "destroy" for a street bike? I mean I do toss and beat by ninja and I am due for a strom but on a dry day, can ordinary tires and low clearance bike make it through without more that a good sweat?
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Inverary, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
I'm looking for someone to join in a ride I'm planning on doing tomorrow... Hawkesbury Ontario, across the river and up the Scotch Road and around that area. It's not hard-core but there are a few challenging spots (I don't yet have a lot of off-road experience) including a shallow water crossing. I did it all by myself last Monday and then thought that I was a real idiot for doing it alone. If something had happened to me, I couldn't even have called for help as there's no cell service up there.

(I've now pre-ordered a Delorme InReach SE to be able to call for help from remote areas.)

There's safety in numbers. Anyone interested?
I think the best trips are when something goes wrong in some out of the way place. Otherwise you may as well just ride to Tim's. Relish the risk - it's never that dire!

For instance: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=890869

There may be safety in numbers (I'm dubious about that) - but its more interesting solo, although I recognize its not for everyone.

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
Mtl_Biker OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Mtl_Biker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Oddometer: 553
Well, I'm fairly adventurous but lack off-road riding experience. I did that route (Scotch Road) a week ago and it was challenging to say the least. Especially with my lack of experience. After I'd done it, I realized how foolish I'd been in doing it alone, in an area without cell phone coverage and almost no weekday traffic. I had visions of laying injured at the side of the trail for days until getting eaten by bears. :)

This past weekend, I couldn't find anyone to ride with (because of Father's Day) so in the end I didn't do it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
I think the best trips are when something goes wrong in some out of the way place. Otherwise you may as well just ride to Tim's. Relish the risk - it's never that dire!

For instance: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=890869

There may be safety in numbers (I'm dubious about that) - but its more interesting solo, although I recognize its not for everyone.

Nick
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #5
Mtl_Biker OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Mtl_Biker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Oddometer: 553
Sport touring bike with road tires? No way!

I don't know about D to E... Never done that.

But I would say that there's no way you could do the stretch from Grenville up the Scotch Road to the Harrington Road that you have marked. If you're really good and careful, you MIGHT be able to do it up until Scotch Road meets Concession Road 10 (and then turn off to Concession Road 10) but there's no way you'd manage from there up to Harrington Road.

The 327 though is a terrific road that on a touring bike you'd have a blast on.

What I'd suggest is to go up on the Chemin de la Rivière Rouge to Harrington Road, right until the Chemin de la Rivière Rouge splits off to the left, and on to Arundel, then over to the 327 and back down that way all the way to Lachute. Great ride that would be doable on your bike just fine. There is a lot of sand and gravel though (except on the 327) but no particularly challenging parts. Unless of course we get heavy rain.

You've got a Ninja? Which one? 250? I wouldn't do Scotch Road with a Ninja 250 (used to have one).

Cheers!



Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
i wont suggest to ride with me and my sport touring bike, but I do want to know about that stretch of scotch road. It would make a neat little ride for those short half rainy days...

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Q...2,3,5&t=m&z=10

since you know the area:

question 1: from D to E, it looks like it would pass. does it?

question 2: is any of the above too "destroy" for a street bike? I mean I do toss and beat by ninja and I am due for a strom but on a dry day, can ordinary tires and low clearance bike make it through without more that a good sweat?
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
pelvis_98
Havin A Time
 
pelvis_98's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Oxford Station, Ontario
Oddometer: 1,957
I will be on holidays starting in July.

If you want to do this trip again in July I could meet you up in Hawkesbury and do the run up with you.
pelvis_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
Mtl_Biker OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Mtl_Biker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Oddometer: 553
Sure! That would be great.

Hawkesbury is only about 45 minutes from my home and I get out there fairly often (usually visit the LCBO when I can to pick up some stuff that's not available in Quebec). And now that I've got a dual-sport bike I plan on doing Scotch Road etc. much more often.

Keep in touch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelvis_98 View Post
I will be on holidays starting in July.

If you want to do this trip again in July I could meet you up in Hawkesbury and do the run up with you.
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal, Canada
Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
Sport touring bike with road tires? No way!
...
But I would say that there's no way you could do the stretch from Grenville up the Scotch Road to the Harrington Road that you have marked. If you're really good and careful, you MIGHT be able to do it up until Scotch Road meets Concession Road 10 (and then turn off to Concession Road 10) but there's no way you'd manage from there up to Harrington Road.
Thanks for the info, now I know I have to try!... hehehe! I'll take picture where I turn around; I'll start from the top from Chemin Harrington, it will be shorter if I back out...if!

I rode a dried spring torrent bed in Massachusetts once. 35 C outside, nice afternoon interlude on a 900km 1 day ride. I should probably try this stuff on saturdays, not sundays though...lol.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
The 327 though is a terrific road that on a touring bike you'd have a blast on.

What I'd suggest is to go up on the Chemin de la Rivière Rouge to Harrington Road, right until the Chemin de la Rivière Rouge splits off to the left, and on to Arundel, then over to the 327 and back down that way all the way to Lachute. Great ride that would be doable on your bike just fine. There is a lot of sand and gravel though (except on the 327) but no particularly challenging parts. Unless of course we get heavy rain.

You've got a Ninja? Which one? 250? I wouldn't do Scotch Road with a Ninja 250 (used to have one).

Cheers!
ninja 650r. I would think that 250r is even better since lighter. Got my z-drag, spot tracker and bug repellent... Probably gonna ask a friend with a adv bike to come along, who told me already did it.

I'm fed up with 327, boring, full of cops, trailers, campers, boats, lost grandpas, driveways, not to mention douchebags. I'm only going on 327 to vent and bring me to the other side.

if looking for pavement fun, try this instead:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...ra=luc&t=m&z=9

it makes a neat 1 day ride from montreal (~800km), bonus for mt washington climbing.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal, Canada
Oddometer: 429
So, I did it today, in both directions actually because of an uncrossable deep pond midway in B:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=C...a=mrv&t=m&z=12

The C-D section is not that bad. I didn`t even rub the bottom of the fairing and only put a foot down once. Just need to look ahead enough and there is a smooth path to roll on.

There is a mud trap we can ride around, but the big pond was too much. I estimated 2 feets deep with a long branch. And it was blurry so I cannot anticipate a rock that would throw me off balance.

dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 6,792
Did you go past the Buddhist temples and big statues out in the fields?
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014