User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
dkazzed OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Potential Suzuki TC100 restore

I'm thinking of grabbing a TC100 with valid papers from my friend for $100, it doesn't run, has a rust hole in the fuel tank, and needs new brake cables. It's a beautiful bike otherwise and I would love to restore it to explore back roads including gravel or logging roads I don't really want to ride my CBR 125R through.

I've never torn an engine apart before other than the head of my minivan's engine, but I've done brakes, suspension, carburetors, etc. before. Am I over my head with this restore or should it be something I can tackle with a bit of Googling? Is there anything else I should be aware of that might make this more challenging than I think it is?

Thanks all.
dkazzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:51 AM   #2
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 823
Go for it!
$100.00 is BEER money.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #3
ihatemybike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Agreed. I picked up my KE100 simply because when it was listed for $100 on CL it seemed stupid not to.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:18 AM   #4
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,685
The Suzuki's are relatively simple bikes.

Do:
Clean and reseal the fuel tank (duh)
keep the oil injection system in place and working
check eBay for crank seals, some models are harder to find
rebuild the carb, very simple on these bikes

Do Not:
worry a whole lot about the project. These bikes are near bullet proof and fun to ride.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:31 AM   #5
dkazzed OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Thanks all. I just grabbed it today. It ended up being free. I'm going to attempt to register it under my name so I can insure it, the transfer papers are dated 1991. lol.

Brakes are actually fine, the loose cable is the choke cable which I have to figure out how to connect to the choke lever, and also the clutch cable needs adjustment. Maybe the clutch itself needs adjustment or replacement?

Fuel tank I'll tackle, I don't think it's actually leaking but it could use a good cleaning inside. Fuel lines too maybe. A bit of surface rust on the body panels and fuel tank, quite a bit on the frame. But I'll tackle that this winter.

Of course, the carb, spark plug, and I should probably consider putting a battery in. Seals and gaskets as you've said. Tires are old and should probably be replaced eventually, and I need a new tube on the rear. The chain is extremely rusty and needs to be replaced, sprockets look like they could wait til this winter.

So, a lot of TLC required but I'm eager to get this thing on the road and the trails.
dkazzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:38 AM   #6
ihatemybike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Excellent!
Old 05-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #7
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,685
I'd also press new bearings into the hubs. They weren't exactly great to start with in these bikes and sitting for years makes them worse. Cheap insurance.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:34 AM   #8
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkazzed View Post
Thanks all. I just grabbed it today. It ended up being free. I'm going to attempt to register it under my name so I can insure it, the transfer papers are dated 1991. lol.

Brakes are actually fine, the loose cable is the choke cable which I have to figure out how to connect to the choke lever, and also the clutch cable needs adjustment. Maybe the clutch itself needs adjustment or replacement?

Fuel tank I'll tackle, I don't think it's actually leaking but it could use a good cleaning inside. Fuel lines too maybe. A bit of surface rust on the body panels and fuel tank, quite a bit on the frame. But I'll tackle that this winter.

Of course, the carb, spark plug, and I should probably consider putting a battery in. Seals and gaskets as you've said. Tires are old and should probably be replaced eventually, and I need a new tube on the rear. The chain is extremely rusty and needs to be replaced, sprockets look like they could wait til this winter.

So, a lot of TLC required but I'm eager to get this thing on the road and the trails.

For FREE! I'd tackle all those things if I came across a deal like that. Some people over here want a fortune for some old woods bike and you still need to restore them. Pictures man!

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote