User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
Andyvh1959 OP
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 564
Movie fakes, loose me

Watched the "Crystal Skull" movie of Indiana Jones the other night. Fun movie, lots of action, including cycles, just like the earlier first episode of Indiana Jones. And maybe I can just recognize bikes, bike styles and bike ages too easily, but I got put off by the movie showing a clearly "modern" Harley in a bunch of scenes as a 40's or 50's "vintage" Harley. For the era, the engine would have to be a Knucklehead or maybe a Panhead, but it was clearly an Evo or maybe a Twin-cam engine, PLUS the bike clearly had a disc front brake.

Sorry, but when I see that kind of sloppy movie trickery I loose some interest. Like using a Harley soundtrack on a 70's vintage Triumph. I recall an episode of Rosanne when Dan was talking about his 58 Panhead, when the bike on the show was a new Evo-engine Harley.

In the first Indiana Jones movie, some of the bikes shots were better hidden, but I still recognized a Honda XR650 being duped as some form of WWII vintage German bike. Picky picky me, I should just enjoy the visual thrills and get over it.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
[QUOTE=Andyvh1959;24577961...Picky picky me, I should just enjoy the visual thrills and get over it.[/QUOTE]

You said it.
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
gravityisnotmyfriend
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post
Watched the "Crystal Skull" movie of Indiana Jones the other night. Fun movie, lots of action, including cycles, just like the earlier first episode of Indiana Jones. And maybe I can just recognize bikes, bike styles and bike ages too easily, but I got put off by the movie showing a clearly "modern" Harley in a bunch of scenes as a 40's or 50's "vintage" Harley. For the era, the engine would have to be a Knucklehead or maybe a Panhead, but it was clearly an Evo or maybe a Twin-cam engine, PLUS the bike clearly had a disc front brake.

Sorry, but when I see that kind of sloppy movie trickery I loose some interest. Like using a Harley soundtrack on a 70's vintage Triumph. I recall an episode of Rosanne when Dan was talking about his 58 Panhead, when the bike on the show was a new Evo-engine Harley.
You watched "Crystal Skull" and the age of the bikes is your gripe?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post

In the first Indiana Jones movie, some of the bikes shots were better hidden, but I still recognized a Honda XR650 being duped as some form of WWII vintage German bike. Picky picky me, I should just enjoy the visual thrills and get over it.
Not that picky. The first Indiana Jones movie was "Raiders of the Lost Ark". No XR650s appeared.

I'm assuming you mean "The last Crusade" (the 3rd movie) where there were Honda's disguised as WWII vintage - but they were twin shock bikes. Probably XR500s.

If you feel the need to be outraged by movie flaws, you may as well get your facts straight.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,569
You mean lost me, not loose me I assume right?

That movie is a royal piece of shit to anyone that grew up watching the originals, the motorcycle or sounds used is the least of my concerns.

And I doubt it's being sloppy, but a decision based on budget and timing, it's probably easier to retro-fit new motorcycles then find a bike from the era. It's a Hardley, don't they all look the same

Excerpt from motorcycle news on the subject:

"The new Indiana Jones film "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" was released on Thursday May 22, 2008 and the latest instalment in the Indiana Jones series again features a motorcycle chase.

See footage of the motorcycle scene here
The motorcycle involved is a Harley Davidson Softail Springer which was originally built as a Springer Classic but was modified to fit in with the 1957 setting of the film.

The motorcycle chase scene features Shia LeBoeuf riding with Harrison Ford riding pillion on the Harley Davidson.

Five of the motorcycles were built for the film. Two of them will be returned to Harley Davidson to feature in the Harley Davidson Motorcycle Museum, which opens on July 12."
Old 07-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 908
I don't like when you see a certain bike, and hear a different one. Like, I've seen a few thumpers onscreen that sounded like a smoker. I don't get that.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
Yamarocket630
Lurker

Oddometer: 391
I like the movie bikes (and cars) that have 35000 speed transmissions. Like the Mitsubishi in the opening scenes of the first fast and furious movie
Yamarocket630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #7
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamarocket630 View Post
I like the movie bikes (and cars) that have 35000 speed transmissions. Like the Mitsubishi in the opening scenes of the first fast and furious movie
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
CSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Wanna see some motorcycle BS?

Mission Impossible 4:

http://movieclips.com/kDAa-mission-i...orcycle-chase/
CSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,364
The HD in Crystal Skull was a Cross Bones, essentially a Softail Springer with some minor changes.

I especially enjoyed watching him "kick" the bike to start it. Since it was a Cross Bones, it was a Twin Cam motor, which is fuel injected. To start the bike, the ECM needs to see TWO complete revolutions of the flywheel, minimum. Not really possible with a kickstarter. As he starts it, he slips his foot off the starter and pushes the button.

Don't even get me started on the Mission Impossible trickery. After all, I'd really like tires that go from street to knobby with the push of a button!

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #10
Vanishing Point
A very sad panda

Oddometer: 2,100
I could see where someone watching an entire movie full of CGI, improbable stunts, and unrealistic plot twists might get upset with seeing a relatively newer Harley being passed off as a 1940's Harley.
Vanishing Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #11
i_isntreal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Apart from the exciting new disc brake technology, I can't tell that those Harley's aren't from the 40s or 50s.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:04 AM   #12
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_isntreal View Post
Apart from the exciting new disc brake technology, I can't tell that those Harley's aren't from the 40s or 50s.

Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:22 AM   #13
sperz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
Wanna see some motorcycle BS?

Mission Impossible 4:

http://movieclips.com/kDAa-mission-i...orcycle-chase/

i remember watching that in the theaters and wondering how many times they were going to change tires during the same scene. One of many WTF moments of that clip.

2009 Buell XB12xp
1998 Suzuki DR350se
sperz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #14
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contevita View Post
I see your 17GB transmission and raise you a two stroke XR100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMzsD...e_gdata_player

1:40 chase scene starts.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_6540-Ho...-100-1990.html

That was my first mmotorcycle, but I hever had to run from cybernetic HK's with it so maybe I never turned it up to 11.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #15
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
So you expect reality? That's a movie not a documentary. BIG difference.

For what it costs to shoot a film an EVO or TC will start and run every time. Just think what down time costs would be while seeking a set of points/condensor for that Knuck when they took a shit on set.