User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
Precis OP
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,607
Riding around Lorne, Vic in winter?

So we're spending the weekend in Lorne (wedding aniversary) and we're wondering if it's worth trailering the bikes (rec-reg) down too?
Weekend Warriors 2 suggests that it'll be too soggy to be fun and half the nearby tracks are closed in winter anyway, so that suggests it would be a waste of time.

Anyone more local have any better insight? We're just looking for a gentle ride-out for a morning or afternoon - nothing too challenging - this is much too high a number aniversary to spend it chest-deep in mud, heaving bikes out of vertical valleys!
Old 07-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
JCat

Oddometer: 379
If you are looking for easy, most deffinitely DO NOT venture in there. It is probably some of the hardest and best single track in the state(highest rainfall in Vic).
Its tough in Summer let alone winter(a lot of clay and slop), you can quite easily be stuck on some of the hills for hours(depending on skill), and weather turns very quickly
Your best bet is East Otways in behind Anglesea around the gumflats rd/alcoa power station area, nice open sandy tracks, with heaps of single track too, but a lot more forgiving than West Otways.
80 CX500 Brat
JCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Precis OP
Maladroit malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCat View Post
If you are looking for easy, most deffinitely DO NOT venture in there. It is probably some of the hardest and best single track in the state(highest rainfall in Vic).
Its tough in Summer let alone winter(a lot of clay and slop), you can quite easily be stuck on some of the hills for hours(depending on skill), and weather turns very quickly
Your best bet is East Otways in behind Anglesea around the gumflats rd/alcoa power station area, nice open sandy tracks, with heaps of single track too, but a lot more forgiving than West Otways.
Thanks for that - confirms what the WeekendWarrior books said - they've never been wrong yet - though sometimes their definition of "easy" doesn't match mine!
So, how long/far is it from Lorne to the Alcoa power station area? Is it worth the effort for 3-4 hours riding?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:43 PM   #4
JCat

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Thanks for that - confirms what the WeekendWarrior books said - they've never been wrong yet - though sometimes their definition of "easy" doesn't match mine!
So, how long/far is it from Lorne to the Alcoa power station area? Is it worth the effort for 3-4 hours riding?

I would think 30-45 mins or there abouts.
Most deffinitely be worth it, depends how keen you are to ride, its a fairly unique area. Does weekend warriors have Anglesea and paddys swamp in it?
What bikes are you riding?
80 CX500 Brat
JCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:35 AM   #5
Matt D
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Out the back of Anglesea there are some great fun tracks, many of them sand and can still be done in winter. Rode there once with a mate on a KLR and 50/50 tyres and he had no trouble. You can easily kill quite a few hours out there exploring. There are a couple of dead end tracks that lead up the tops of some steep hills overlooking the coastline and there are some pretty spectacular views. Congrats on the anniversary too!
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:43 AM   #6
bend27
by hook or by crook

Oddometer: 1,176
As above, we ride a lot there in winter, lots of fun, just keep it simple and don't go down any clay tracks if it is wet, also lots of easy fire/logging tracks to ride when wet, take the bike, you will not regret it! Happy aniversary
bend27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:20 AM   #7
Precis OP
Maladroit malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCat View Post
I would think 30-45 mins or there abouts.
Most deffinitely be worth it, depends how keen you are to ride, its a fairly unique area. Does weekend warriors have Anglesea and paddys swamp in it?
What bikes are you riding?
Yes, WW 1 has Paddy's Swamp & Anglesea; I just need to put them in relation to the weekend's accomodation in Lorne - but it looks like I'll have to empty the trailer & scare up some tie-downs!
Daughter's on a TTR125, we're both on 230s, all rec-reg - like I said, i make easy look hard!
Old 07-17-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
Precis OP
Maladroit malcontent

Well guys, thanks to the Brains Trust we had a great time!
Don't quite see what the attraction is about Lorne, or maybe I'm out of touch, but $34 for a steak that seems to have died of old age, $180 a night for a hotel room where we literally put the mattrass on the floor coz the bed was stiuffed...
But on Sat'dee we hit Paddy's Swamp and while there were a few bog-holes and single-track ruts where the footpegs got caught, and one spectaculat clay hill, most of which came home in our trailer, it was all good.
Sundee we stopped in an Anglesea and again, some of the nadgery single-track was rutted and full of water, but higher on the hills, the wider tracks were damp sand - lots of whoops, quite a few muddy bits and all 3 of us a top time!
Thanks for the advice!
And it was the 20th anniversary of our wedding & 31st of our meeting...

Wife & daughter looking at Antarctica (out of shot).
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2011, 01:33 AM   #9
bend27
by hook or by crook

Oddometer: 1,176
Good stuff!
bend27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
Philthy1
Philthy

Oddometer: 18
Otways is driest on the east end... but this time of year you can find mud everywhere! Check out the good get-offs here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bBcEM0lG6U