Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
GPrairie_Rider OP
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
How many of you prefer Thumpers to other bikes?

I am not sure if this is 205. But if it is please let me know.

Okay, I ride an 08 XRL, LOVE it! My Dad rides a KLR, he "enjoys" it but is always saying he wished he had a 2nd cylinder and such. So it got me to thinking, how many of yawl like Thumpers only?

I am wanting a second bike, but for the life of me cannot figure out which one. I really like the 2nd Gen KLR, shit give me a 705 top end and luggage ill ride it anywhere. I also like the DRZ400SM, but I enjoy my licence more.

So my questions is......is it feesible to own more than one Thumper? Would you RTW on one? In my case owning a XRL, would you own a 2nd Gen KLR also? Lets face it, ive done 200miles in a day on the XR and my ass hated me. Would taking a 2nd Gen KLR and modding it do better?

I love the Super Ten, just dont love the price. Thats basically why I am posting this thread.

Chris
Old 06-16-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,258
a single does everything i need.
find myself daydreaming about riding a twin but there's no justification to replace my single.
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,756
Laugh

If it has two wheels, I want to ride it. Thumpers are great, but they aren't everything. That said, I don't get off my DRZ without a shit eating grin on my face. That bike has never let me down, and I have done 300 mile days with no problems.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
I started with 4 cylinder, then 2, now 1. Do I prefer thumpers? In many situations, yes. But clearly there are situations where thumpers are at a disadvantage such as touring or high-power output. More motorcyclists should try thumpers though- they're grrreat!
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
13x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Had a XR400R, did over 14,000km around asia. Did about the same journey the following year on a 1500cc goldwing. And soon after a harley nightster.

recently acquired a 2013 690 ER, and it just puts a smile on me everyday everytime. something i didnt have ever since i sold the XR away.
13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #6
TexBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
I'll always have a couple of thumpers in the garage, but never as my "only" bikes. They are simply another tool in the box. Sometimes you need a hammer and sometimes you need a wrench.

-Mark Twain
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBiker View Post
I'll always have a couple of thumpers in the garage, but never as my "only" bikes. They are simply another tool in the box. Sometimes you need a hammer and sometimes you need a wrench.
Perfectly said!
I wouldn't ever be without one!
It just won't be the only one!
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
el capitan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I started my bike career with a thumper (83 KTM 500 GS) and after lots of roadbikes am back to a highly farkled DR 650, which is my only bike. I don´t see the need for another bike (though being rich would see me purchase a Triumph Street Triple R and possibly a big twin also). No 4-cylinder-bikes for me - been there, done that, thanks. A Triumph 955 triple spoilt me for life. But in the situation I am in (family, 2 kids) and my typical riding the DR is a perfect do-it-all-bike. I spread the virus of thumpers among other riders, though ...
el capitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,242
for anytime on dirt or secondary roads my DR650 is great.
if i was doing a huge paved road tour a sport tourer would be ideal but a DR with a bigger tank, better seat and windshield does very well. if i was on hardcorce singletrack a true dirt bike would be better. if I could only own 1 bike, and I do at this moment, the DR is ideal as a do it all.
will i keep it my only bike? no. i'd like to add a beast and a dirtbike, but i'm in no rush.

RTW? once again a simplier thumper is ideal as speeds are lower, dealers are less or none and parts are harder to come by.
Many choose a well prepped KLR or DR650 as a RTW bike.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
xlthumper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
only thumpers for me the only other would be v twin only because i like the sound but my 640 adventure is perfect for me. great commuter but i honestly hate tarmac so when i get to the dirt i still have the perfect bike, i dont see the point of a 1200cc bike that uses as much fuel as todays compact cars and cruisers are just nasty to me, no offence just a personal opinion, would i do rtw, yup no problem, im not going to be going 120mph so my 640 is perfect, would i have another bike in the garage.....only if i had the money and it would be a single cylinder enduro
xlthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
To be honest, thumpers are okay but wouldnt be my first choice for an everyday ride. I have one because I had never owned a big 4 stroke single and wanted to ride more dirt roads. The KLR has been a good bike but it's probably not the ideal for where I live. Still, not looking to get rid of it, cheap to ride, cheap to maintain and the way I have it set up it does a decent job. But I have an eye towards an older Tiger

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 996
My number one bike is my 690 thumper but I prefer a bigger bike for street only riding. My 990 Supermoto is much better for highway. The 690 always has knobbies so it's nice to have the supermoto with good street tires. If I could have only one bike it would be the 690 thumper. The lighter weight is really nice. For off road riding it is single cylinder only. I have no interest riding a multi cylinder bike off pavement. The 690 has spoiled me!
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
i like thumpers but i buy them because its what i can afford. my dream bike is a ktm 990smr but will settle for any 950 or 990 ktm.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
BJZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Ride a KTM 690 EVO
The only downsides

Vibration
Cross winds

Not going back to heavy twins. On road ok but that's it, off road they suffer.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #15
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,248
Wait...

There are bikes other than thumpers?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote