Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #16
xlthumper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Hahahaha. Ya apparantly there are these things called. Multi cylinder bikes. So strange
xlthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #17
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Probably hale the 25 or so bikes I've owned have been thumpers. There were a few two stroke singles in there too. But I do like a very torquey vertical twin a lot also. A 650cc British vertical twin with a single carb can be a torque riot. You do lose some top end, but monster bottom end and mid range is so cool that I don't care about the top end. A twin carb will lose some low end, but have a better top end.
But I love a good thumper too.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #18
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsgptx View Post
I am not sure if this is 205. But if it is please let me know.

Okay, I ride an 08 XRL, LOVE it! My Dad rides a KLR, he "enjoys" it but is always saying he wished he had a 2nd cylinder and such. So it got me to thinking, how many of yawl like Thumpers only?

I am wanting a second bike, but for the life of me cannot figure out which one. I really like the 2nd Gen KLR, shit give me a 705 top end and luggage ill ride it anywhere. I also like the DRZ400SM, but I enjoy my licence more.

So my questions is......is it feesible to own more than one Thumper? Would you RTW on one? In my case owning a XRL, would you own a 2nd Gen KLR also? Lets face it, ive done 200miles in a day on the XR and my ass hated me. Would taking a 2nd Gen KLR and modding it do better?

I love the Super Ten, just dont love the price. Thats basically why I am posting this thread.

Chris
I've had several bikes of different kinds. I currently have a DR650SE thumper and a YX600 Radian I4. The DR does everything the Radian does, but not as quickly. I don't need to go 100MPH+, or 0-60MPH in under 4 seconds, and the Radian doesn't ride well as a dirtbike, so the DR gets ridden a lot more.

The DR is a more visceral kind of experience...it has a mellow kind of general character, but it bellows when I open it up. The Radian is smooth, and it's growl down low revs up into a howl. On either bike, you know that you're definitely not in a cage. I've ridden both on long trips out of state. The DR is actually slightly better on the slab now, even if it has less power.

I much prefer bikes like this to the bland and heavy I4 GL1200 my stepdad used to have. My mom's I4 Suzuki GS850G was a preferable bike for travel, with another sweet engine and an awesome seat, but it was just a bit much for me to ride around city streets. I preferred my I2 KZ440 for around town, but it was not any better than the DR on the interstate, and the DR can be ridden like a chunky dirtbike. I liked that motor for a first streetbike though. It didn't have crazy acceleration that could get away from you or loop unless you really ham-fisted the clutch, but it had enough beans to haul a passenger on the interstate. The motor wasn't appliance-smooth, but it didn't numb you after 30 minutes either.

I'd love to have some inexpensive, 350lb curb, I2 scramblers to choose from. The new Honda CB500X will do, but it could be closer to what I want with a 19 or 21" front wheel, a long and flat seat, and a curb under 400lb. I want something at least as low-seated and dirty as the DR, with more long-haul passenger capability. Thumper or twin would be fine, as long as it has some torque and doesn't mind revs.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #19
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Wait...

There are bikes other than thumpers?
I don't think so......Are there?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #20
Bad Daddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I've got my DRZ fitted to me, it works, runs, looks great. I would like a set of SM wheels/tires for it, to really get the use out of it.
But.
I would like either a f800gs, or 990 adventure for longer trips. Especially ones that have more slab than off road. Would make it a no-brainer to ride it up to the cabin, for the weekend, and all over BC. Something that can cruise at 120-140, when the need arises.

I have only owned two bikes in the last 5 years and so far, I haven't owned one I didn't like!
Old 06-17-2013, 05:44 AM   #21
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
This seems to be a more "Off-Road" oriented forum. In that regard, to me, Thumpers are easier to ride, for longer periods of time, than 2 strokes, but the 2 strokes are lighter, and quicker in tight trails. I really enjoy my 350 EXC, but having just ridden with some guys with 200 MXC's and XC-W's, I missed that light, "easy to loft the front end" feeling. In this arena, if you stay away from the huge bikes, there are no other multi's except for the Aprilia RXV 450/550, and they had issues that make them sort of rare to see today.
Once you get into the huge bikes, I prefer multi's, providing that my intent does not include taking them into gnarly locations.
On the street, Thumpers are charismatic, but not my first choice for longer distances. Again, IMO, they must be made loud and temperamental to get good amounts of power out of them (pistons, cams, carbs, pipes, etc.) - compared to multi-cylindered bikes. I still like them, but as others have said - You really should be able to pick the right tool for the job.
I sold my sweet, street duty only DR650 to get a V-Strom 650, and it was the right choice, for me.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #22
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,503
I don't whether I prefer Thumpers because in 35 years of riding I have never owned or even ridden anything else except single cylinder two strokes.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:03 AM   #23
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,206
Thumpers are fun, they are great when they are smooth.
Most real dirt bikes and dual sports are singles, since they are lighter then twins.
On the street, weight matters much less (to some people), and a multi is smoother.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #24
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,084
My DR is the newest bike I've ever owned... probably because I just bought it new. Compared to my '79 Suzuki GS550, '81 CB900, '85 Voyager and '02 Ural it is waaaay more fun and responsive to ride. The Voyager and Ural were hacks so really it's unfair to compare. Different tools for different jobs.

I'm looking forward to some long trips on the DR to see how I like it for touring. I like the minimalistic approach to motorcycling so the DR will probably do long journeys just perfectly.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #25
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Thumpers

If you like dirt, and can only have one bike, thumpers are the answer... My WR250r does everything well (tire dependent). My wife has ok'd a second bike when we can afford it... When will that be? Not sure, but I am leaning towards a used wee-strom. Then the WRr can have dirt oriented tires on all the time!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #26
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 463
I have a bmw g650x .which is the smoother but second most powerful thumper stock behind ktm. I toke the long way down from ohio to blue ridge parkway. And loved it. I took the superslab back and hated it. People keep saying thier thumper will do 80 all day long. Is this gps speed.80 speedo was actually 72. And anything above 70 on less than flat ground .just felt like I was wringing it... I really wasnt cause I had it well over 100 actual before. But even though im probably not damaging it. It just didnt "feel" comfortable. It was louder windier vibeier. I think the biggest problem was my right hand you have to twist the throttle so much.that you wrist hurts or constantly readjust your grip.etc. ...my opion is that thumpers are awesome. Except for 70 plus mph. Superslab. Funny thing is I had a 250 twin. That had far less power. But handled superslab far better.in short buy a thumper. Stay off superslab . My complaints may seem nitpicky till you do it. I thought my bike was king in the city and short freeway jaunts across town. Out on the interstates where the limit was 70 and your getting windblasted by semi trucks on the left and right doing 80. And grandma in her minivan is flashing to pass when youre already doing 10 mph over the limit. You will realise what im saying.
Btw total trip was almost 2000 miles.didnt use one drop of oil and it was still golden. Rear tire is almost gone though.
Heres my touring supermoto. (I know the lugguage hurt performance but it you want to tour you might look like this me in full gear plus lugguage is barely 225 lbs)

satur9 screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 02:52 PM
satur9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #27
Powderaddict
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
For riding the trails my little KLR is fantastic. Any of my multi cylinder bikes I’ve owned would have had me pooping my pants in things the KLR 250 handles with ease.

I don't ride street nearly as often as I used to, so I can't justify the expense a big powerful bike would have if I'm only going to ride it a couple times a year.

That said, I miss my Triumph 955 Sprint ST triple cylinder I used to own. I don’t miss the costs of tires, insurance, parts, etc. But that engine, oh that engine…

previous: Suzuki Intruder 1400, KLR 250, KLR 650, Ninja 650r, Triumph Sprint ST, Yamaha Seca II, Yamaha XS650, Suzuki TS185
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #28
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen View Post
I started with 4 cylinder, then 2, now 1. Do I prefer thumpers? In many situations, yes. But clearly there are situations where thumpers are at a disadvantage such as touring or high-power output. More motorcyclists should try thumpers though- they're grrreat!
That's my story, too, except I had a few triples, too. I've devolved to the point where I have three thumpers. I tour on a thumper...just not fast touring.

My DR650 with custom seat is the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden, as long as I'm not trying to go 75 mph all day long.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote