User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2015, 07:36 AM   #1
ynnck OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Question Chain guard extension to reduce grease on bike

I recently started modelling a chain guard extension in 3D software that slips over the end of the stock chain guard to address the lube flying upward onto my topcase & rear of the bike.

The bottom/side of my topcase is always covered in grease and every time I remove it I somehow get it smeared on my clothes & hands. So in an effort to cut back on having to throw away clothes smeared with grease, I decided to make an extension which could be 3D printed in black plastic.

I was wondering if this is something some of you might be interested in given the price was acceptable? If so, I would spend some more time on the design/testing and could get a small batch printed if there was adequate demand.
ynnck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:59 AM   #2
Captain Excellent
+ll+

Oddometer: 264
Just the thing I've been starting to think about too.
I put a Loobman chain oiler on my bike this season, and I've noticed the same thing, but probably much worse with oil rather than wax / grease.
I'd be interested in one of those if you fab a couple. Caveat though, it would have to be able to take the vibration of off-pavement riding if possible.
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:00 AM   #3
dpm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
I'll go a maybe here.
dpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:26 AM   #4
GR3Y
Wanderer

Oddometer: 37
I would be interested, i remove my top case every time after i have ridden and im pretty annoyed by all the grease.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:55 AM   #5
benwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
My bike is full of it right now, i am interested. Will it work on the 700GS?
benwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #6
Rgconner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,796
Doesn't the dirt absorb the grease?

Old 06-08-2015, 02:38 PM   #7
GREWUPIN_D11
GREWUPIN_D11

Oddometer: 159
Maybe I'm trampling on sacred ground here - recommend you quit greasing/oiling the chain. My 2010 F800GS is at ~13,000 miles, over 50% on unpaved roads, mud, sand, etc. Other than the chain wax applied by the dealer prior to delivery when new, the chain has never been externally 'lubed'. Chain and sprockets are in very good shape. After I wash the bike (low pressure hose only, use a plastic-bristle brush to knock dirt off the chain), I spray the chain with WD40 for corrosion control.

The lube sealed inside the O-rings on the chain is the only lube that matters. The 'lube' you're applying on the outside does nothing other than attract grit, make a mess.

GREWUPIN_D11 screwed with this post 06-08-2015 at 03:24 PM
GREWUPIN_D11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #8
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,622
I made one out of an oil old container and screwed it onto the end of the chain guard. It's been effective. Something a bit more elegant would be nice.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:47 AM   #9
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,312
I'd be interested....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:57 AM   #10
Captain Excellent
+ll+

Oddometer: 264
This kind of accessory is quite common in the world of bicycles (at least where I live, it rains a lot). You'll see them on the end of the fender, either home made or "professional" moulded rubber. If this works out, something that looks like it's supposed to be there would be great, if not I suppose I can always look in the local bike shop. Looking forward to what you come up with.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:05 PM   #11
ynnck OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Excellent View Post
Caveat though, it would have to be able to take the vibration of off-pavement riding if possible.
This is my biggest concern, simply slipping the extension over the end of the chain guard will probably not cut it during off-pavement riding. An option would be to drill a hole in the end of the chain guard so the extension can "snap" into the hole, but I'm afraid some people would be hesitant about drilling a hole in the chain guard. Either way, I wanted to test a version that slips (very snuggly) over the end without drilling holes first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwr View Post
My bike is full of it right now, i am interested. Will it work on the 700GS?
The chain guard of the F650GS (twin), F700GS, F800GS & F800GSA are all the same, so the extension would work on all these models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREWUPIN_D11 View Post
Maybe I'm trampling on sacred ground here - recommend you quit greasing/oiling the chain. My 2010 F800GS is at ~13,000 miles, over 50% on unpaved roads, mud, sand, etc. Other than the chain wax applied by the dealer prior to delivery when new, the chain has never been externally 'lubed'. Chain and sprockets are in very good shape. After I wash the bike (low pressure hose only, use a plastic-bristle brush to knock dirt off the chain), I spray the chain with WD40 for corrosion control.

The lube sealed inside the O-rings on the chain is the only lube that matters. The 'lube' you're applying on the outside does nothing other than attract grit, make a mess.
I have heard this before, but have never had the guts to try it myself. Doesn't the WD40 fling off the chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Excellent View Post
This kind of accessory is quite common in the world of bicycles (at least where I live, it rains a lot). You'll see them on the end of the fender, either home made or "professional" moulded rubber.
Indeed, I've seen this too on bicycles and have fitted a front fender extension on my F800GSA for the same reason.
ynnck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:22 PM   #12
GREWUPIN_D11
GREWUPIN_D11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnck View Post
This is my biggest concern, simply slipping the extension over the end of the chain guard will probably not cut it during off-pavement riding. An option would be to drill a hole in the end of the chain guard so the extension can "snap" into the hole, but I'm afraid some people would be hesitant about drilling a hole in the chain guard. Either way, I wanted to test a version that slips (very snuggly) over the end without drilling holes first.
Dealer price for stock chain guard is only $25. Give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnck View Post
I have heard this before, but have never had the guts to try it myself. Doesn't the WD40 fling off the chain?
Most of the WD40 evaporates away within a few hours. The residue is very minimal, imperceptible one might even say. Nothing to fling off.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:25 PM   #13
benwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREWUPIN_D11 View Post

This could, and probably has its own thread lol. I have always lubed my chains both on and off road bikes, and the manual calls for lubrication. I have heard that WD40 breaks down the o rings, but that might just be a wives tale?....
benwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #14
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 1,131
I use wax, no fling.
Woody2627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #15
GREWUPIN_D11
GREWUPIN_D11

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwr View Post
This could, and probably has its own thread lol. I have always lubed my chains both on and off road bikes, and the manual calls for lubrication. I have heard that WD40 breaks down the o rings, but that might just be a wives tale?....
Data point - my chain is 5 years old, has been doused with WD40 many times over that time, all O-rings intact.