Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #31
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays-f800gs View Post
40 in August. Bought my 10' f800gs in September after not riding for 20 years. Back then it was a Fzr 400, one of the best handling bikes, wouldn't mind having another.
Oh yeah, that was one I forgot. We stuffed an FZR600 motor in the 400 chassis, those were the bikes to race!!!!!
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #32
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,167
Not counting scooters of varying capacities through the years since stealing my uncle's 150cc italian job when I was 9 and riding it through the cotton fields in rural Greece, I finally buckled down and got my full A-licence (unrestricted motorcycle) when I was 33, had a Honda CB600FA for 4 years then got my F800GS last year when I was 37.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle

duffs screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 04:23 PM
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #33
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
I'm now 22, bought my F800GS with 21 and bought my first GS (650GS thumper) with 18. Get back in line old shrud
WHAT????? I've been putting up with all this crap from someone less than half my age!!!!!!!

F me.

Just hope I don't meet you. I'll show you what's what.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #34
ohiomatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I am 28 and will be 29 in August, just bought a new dl650 adventure. Have had all vintage street/dirt bikes until the purchase of the V Strom.
ohiomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #35
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 512
57. F650GS. Happily married. Don't need to impress any girls, so an "ugly" "un-sexy" bike I can ride anywhere in almost any weather is fine with me.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #36
XLR_Dave
Up on One

Oddometer: 41
31. Married. Have had two sport bikes, an xr650l, hence the username and now a 13' f800gs.
XLR_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:40 AM   #37
Strawdog
Strawdog

Oddometer: 91
47 spent 30 years riding cruisers and Harleys bought my F800GS last year my Mom keeps telling me to grow up.
Strawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:03 AM   #38
AdvParamedic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Laugh

Im 20 female and ride an F800 GS. I have worked as a first aider since I was 7 promoted to an Ambulance officee (EMT) when I was 16 and did a bachelor degree in paramedical science when I was 17 which took 3 years. I now work for the biggest ambulance service oin Australia and tour around australia/and other parts of the world working as a Paramedic on adventure motorcycle tours. With big names like Charley Boorman and other tours. I think to meet younger people riding you really have to get out there! People of all ages/genders wander the world on motorbikes you just have to be willing to talk to lots of strangers to source them out! I absolutely love meeting new people and its true there isnt that many young people especially females but I guess my point is.. were our thereh:)
Old 06-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #39
seandiddy OP
Psshhh, Yeah!

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvParamedic View Post
Im 20 female and ride an F800 GS. I have worked as a first aider since I was 7 promoted to an Ambulance officee (EMT) when I was 16 and did a bachelor degree in paramedical science when I was 17 which took 3 years. I now work for the biggest ambulance service oin Australia and tour around australia/and other parts of the world working as a Paramedic on adventure motorcycle tours. With big names like Charley Boorman and other tours. I think to meet younger people riding you really have to get out there! People of all ages/genders wander the world on motorbikes you just have to be willing to talk to lots of strangers to source them out! I absolutely love meeting new people and its true there isnt that many young people especially females but I guess my point is.. were our thereh:)
Dream job!

I think there are younger people into adventuring outside the continental U.S. and I agree, it's about getting out there.
seandiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #40
Barbadi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Not old really...

...just ancient. Or wise enough to know that the riding years remaining deserve a decent bike and not a cheapo japanese knockoff like a KLR.

Twenty two years ago I bought my first bike, an Honda XL 185 s, and it was allright for its money -dog of a bike too, but looked like one also- but it made me learn one thing. You cannot cut any corners with motorcycling. You may end up not get what you paid for -especially if you believe everything you read in forums- but you will never get a wonderfull bike for less than it is worthing.

Soooo with the wisdom of my 40 summers on this planet, when my old R 80 G/S kicked the bucket I decided that life is too fuckin sort to spent it on a dull bike.

And I forked 7000 euros on something that makes my old bones go "YIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIHAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" everytime I speed its ass.

It is still cheaper than an secret girlfrient, a psychologist, or a friken pool (that is a big waterhole after all) and can take you places.

Not making you wish you got the "other" bike everytime you look or ride it frcristsake!

So grow up, experience and knowledge is what you get in exchange for loss of hair and beerbelly. Use it!
Barbadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #41
seandiddy OP
Psshhh, Yeah!

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbadi View Post
...just ancient. Or wise enough to know that the riding years remaining deserve a decent bike and not a cheapo japanese knockoff like a KLR.
Holy schnikes! I'm surprised the Kawi guys haven't started climbing over the walls!

+10 for all the awesomeness that was your post

My first 650+ adventure bike was a KLR and I gotsta say I didn't much like it. It was ok, but cheese and biscuits if it wasn't heavy. I mean, my F8 is up there, but it doesn't feel nearly as heavy as the thumper did. Plus the power sucked. I'd rather spend a little more time off the bike, earning a little more money, so I can have a LOT more fun on the bike. But to each his own and I'd ride with a pack of KLRs any day.
seandiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #42
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
33 here. Bought a DRZ400S in 2006. Had two Harley's and now just down to the F800GS for the time being.
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #43
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
66. Rode dinky Hondas 45 years or so ago and then took up riding again when I got an F800GS at 65. I figured I wasn't getting any younger, so why start over with a small bike this time - I just cut to the chase.
cchoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #44
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
A lot has to deal with the coolness factor. The GS is an ugly pig which ever way you spin it I've been happy with mine, I am in my 30s and this is my second bike. But yeah, everywhere I look, I am one of the youngest, and and I am not that young to begin with
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #45
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,713
54 until Friday so got in under the wire. Passed test aged 48 and the F800GS is my first bike; a 50th birthday present to myself.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote