Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #46
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
70 years old. I have been riding, repairing and modifying bikes since 1963. Most of that was on Japanese bikes. May not have been state of art, but all were dependable.

At this stage I am not interested in some high priced wonder bike from Europe. I don't want to spend time working on one, or find it is more bike than I can ride.

I would like to claim some riding expertise, but the first 40 years was mostly pavement. The last 10 I was too old to fine tune my off road skills.

Right now I am down to two bikes. The F800gs I purchased because after doing a lot of Colorado and Southern Ca. dirt. I realized a TDM wasn't going to cut it, no matter how much I modified it. Little did I know I had to modify the F800gs to make it competent too.

My favorite bike is my 1995 KLX650. The Internet wisdom warned me that there is no aftermarket, they blew up, no one heard of it. Amazing, the misinformation on forums.
Big bored, re suspendered, little vibration, 200+ miles on a tank of gas, it has turned out to be a great bike.

itsatdm screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 10:22 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #47
seandiddy OP
Psshhh, Yeah!

Oddometer: 20
I've been trying to talk my dad into a KLX or DR for a bit now... Wished I'd have got one of those instead of the KLR.
seandiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #48
ADV-Rob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
35. This is my first adventure bike however after owning several sport bikes and even a Harley (for a short time).
Old 06-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #49
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I would like to claim some riding expertise, but the first 40 years was mostly pavement. The last 10 I was too old to fine tune my off road skills.
56 here, with a similar story.

Age 13-53, nearly 100% pavement. Then came a G650X-Country.

At about the 10k mark on the 650, I went over the bars, broke 8 ribs, put a small tear in a lung, and bruised my spleen quite badly.

After that mishap I accepted the fact that I'm too old and uncoordinated to fine-tune my off-pavement skills on anything bigger than a 250.

My F700 is a street sled. Took it into Cleveland National Forest last week simply to prove I can.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/

Geoffster screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 08:24 PM Reason: Clean up (Internal Grammar Nazi)
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #50
The Island
Im lost.

Oddometer: 219
Hey,
Im 26, going onto 27 and have been adv riding for a few years now. Currently riding a DL650 but in a few long months, I will be riding a F800GS.

The Island screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 07:48 PM
The Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #51
ADV-Rob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I don't believe we can make a poll this complex, but for kicks it would be interesting to see a mean age of the riders here, what bikes they have ridden up until now, and see if there are trends that people follow based on what point they are at in their lives.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #52
seandiddy OP
Psshhh, Yeah!

Oddometer: 20
+5 for a great idea. I'll think about it for a bit; see if we can't do something like that.
seandiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #53
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,674
65 going on 25. I've owned at least 1 bike since about 1966. They were know as trail bikes back then. Later came enduros. We use to ride into mountain lakes for fishing every weekend all summer long. You could ride just about anywhere back then. I started riding road bikes in about 2003 and sold my dirt bike in 2008 after I bought a dual sport. Now I do long trips on my Honda ST1300 as well as every weekend on my 800 GS with a few week trips thrown in. I did a month in Alaska on my 800 a couple of summers ago.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #54
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
52 y/o. First adventure bike was my 1973 Suzuki TS 185. Used rope to tie a backpack to the seat and off exploring I would go. Get back from a weekend exploring in time to take a shower than ride the bike to school. Started doing this when I was 15. Still get just as excited when I roll out of the driveway every morning. Just got back from a five day ride, loving every minute. Riding to my office this morning took the long way just cause I could.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #55
philratton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
35 here.
Hey, that Klx 650 brings me back some really fun memories.
I had a green R 1995 and boy, to start that thing on the trail was a chore.
650cc and only a kick starter. I had good legs then.
F800gs 2013 for me now after some Hondas and kawas.
philratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #56
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,043
Damn there's a bunch of kids out there......

If I ever really grow up I won't be one of them

I'm 52,
I started riding at 47 on a KLR.
After 10K Miles on it and coming to the realization that it's under powered, and under suspendered for touring with me without spending $$$$$ and still ending up with a KLR.

I then got the F8, and then proceded to spend $$$$$ getting it closer to what I think I want, (it's hard to hit a moving target)

I will never be the best or fastest rider, but I am out to enjoy myself and see out of the way places. I don't use it to commute, I ride on weekends and Vacations, and still ride around 5-6K/year.

IMHO People ride adventure bikes because we don't have to prove ourself to everyone else.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #57
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 686
For me it was about being tired of having a bike that was so focused on a particular aspect, I had a garage full of bikes for myself. Now I have a garage full of bikes for the family so something had to give.

Another perspective, this is what I used to have:

Dirtbike for technical woods etc
Race bike for track
Sport touring for 1000 mile days and commuting
Vintage...cuz i'm a glutton for punishment.

The GS is just a good practical utilitarian bike that doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but does EVERYTHING pretty decent.
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #58
MKorn
2whl Addict

Oddometer: 741
Older than I feel !

Well, most days ... my mind still thinks I am 18 but my body is 47.
Been riding dirt bikes since I was 14 and didn't get my cycle endorsement till I was 40.
02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s
MKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #59
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 985
Just had this discussion the other day. Since it takes money and time to be an "adventure rider," most young people have neither. Also, what kid wants an old fart bike when there are so many sport bikes to wrap around a telephone pole.

The average age of a BMW owner is mid 50's. I am 43, owned my 800 since '09, and still feel like an outsider.

The adventure genre is fairly new and only really became mainstream after Ewan Boorman did their thing. I've spoken to quit a few riders who call my GS an enduro bike. When I correct them and tell them adventure I usually get
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #60
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
I bought my 800 when I was 22, I was atleast 10 years younger in any group... I always feel bad for the old guys who have to pick up these huge bikes or even their GSA...