Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #61
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casejeep View Post
I always feel bad for the old guys who have to pick up these huge bikes or even their GSA...
Easy there! The proper response is not to "feel bad" but to help.

(After I needed help with my GSA twice, it was relegated to pavement until I sold her.)

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #62
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
I'm 37, have been riding since 18.
Only the last 10 have been on the street though.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #63
seandiddy OP
Psshhh, Yeah!

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizze View Post
Since it takes money and time to be an "adventure rider," most young people have neither. Also, what kid wants an old fart bike when there are so many sport bikes to wrap around a telephone pole.
It is probably just a matter of prioritization and since most of the young crowd is on sport bikes I suppose it is a self sustaining dynamo.
seandiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #64
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,726
I always try to ride with a younger rider, just in case I have a mishap.

Seems to be the other way around for some reason.

A post from a fellow young rider.

"Don't let ITSAGS fool ya, he is simply bad luck. I ride about 20k miles/year.

The only time I have a motorbike mishap (sub-diving the 1150 GSA 2007 , failed head cover bolt 2008, leg obliteration 2009, this foot crap 2013) is with him. Otherwise I'm fine."

itsatdm screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 04:52 PM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #65
Pabigwoods
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
I started 3 springs ago at age 41. I know it sounds a little lame, but I got attracted to bikes because of high gas prices and my 60 mile commute. I got looking around at what was out there and decided on a KLR to start. Upgraded to the F800GS later. At the start I was looking at versatile, practical transportation. I have also always been an outdoor guy, hunting, hiking, shooting etc. I wanted a bike to go back in the boonies with. All of this boiled down to an ADV bike.

Oh, did I mentioned I ended up getting hooked on riding as a hobby. Probably didn't end up saving much money on gas either. (farkles, joyrides)

There are no young ADV'rs in my area. All my age or older. The younger crowd in my opinion wants to look cool. It's all about looks, not capability. So they go with a sport bike or a cruiser. What they don't realize is all the attention I get with my bike from all the the hot 30 and 40 something crowd of ladies.

Oh well my 2 cents
Old 06-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #66
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,099
I'm 60.
Mostly ride alone, probably due to my bubbly personality, or old man farts.

Bought my 1150 Adventure September of 2004. It is the last BMW I will own. There have been others.
This was the first adventure bike in my life now nearing 40 years of commuting and travel by motorcycle.

Four months after buying the adventure I sold my sportbike, 100,000 plus mile CBR900RR, still running perfectly OEM clutch. Lots of trackdays, commuting and travel. Sold it because I never rode it after buying the Adventure.

Only regret is not enough dirt or time to ride same in a great long while.
I've righted my bike, all alone in deep sand fully loaded.
The bike not me.

I barely ride the thing now on weekends preferring to spend my off time with my wife and family, and riding my bicycle. I'll get to 200,000 miles sometime late Summer. Then considering what is going on workwise I'll sell the thing and buy something more dirt oriented, and different.
One friend says I should go for 250,000. I'm not biting. Parts cost to get there will pay for the different bikes first few farkles if it comes to that.

Way, back in the day, (mid 70's) I had a BMW R90/6 for commuting and travel. When my wife and I joined the local BMW club we were fifteen to twenty years younger than the youngest members. We figure out the deal when there was a group ride from a club members home scheduled and we showed up right on time to find no one there other than the home owner.
The ride had been cancelled due to the rain. It was sprinkling enough we had suited up in our rain gear.
I think we rode off to breakfast down by the beach.

I started riding late in life, age 21 years. And pretty much have continued uninterrupted except for business travels and even some of them.
I have ridden places that scared me with this big thing and places I prefer.
I've found I prefer gravel roads and graded dirt. Two track can work and I don't like deep sand or single track.
I avoid mud I don't hike in mud or ride my mountain bike in it either. simply because I figure all it does is tear up trails.

On my 50th birthday I had won a free trackday so went out and hit the rev limiter in sixth gear along the front straight of the AMA course back then. I miss trackdays, and riding with friends. I do enjoy riding to places out and away when I get the chance.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 12:40 PM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #67
Stkmkt1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Well, I don't want to cause any trouble. I'm 56 and have ridden since 1968. I traveled across country for the first time back in 82 on a Honda 750 automatic. Still have in my shop.

Now for why more young people don't ride adventure style bikes, I'm not sure. But maybe it has to do with today's culture. Ever try to watch TV? Picture or at least the camera angle has to change ever 1/10 of a second. I think todays' youth has a shorter attention span than those of us who are older. And many of those who do ride, it's all about the stoplight to stoplight speed. After all, with the shorter attention span they can only ride for about an hour tops and then they get bored.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that. But I'm pretty sure if you ask most adventure bike riders, you will find not only do they not care for how fast they can get to the next stop light, but they don't even want to get to the first one.

As you become more experienced in long-term riding, you tend to slow down, take in the sights, smells and experiences along the way. These are all things that most young people really are not into - yet.

If I think back to when I was younger, I didn't pay all that much attention to what I was riding through. I did ride long distances, but I rode only just to ride. with no care of what I saw along the way.

But I will say this. I believe there are lots more young people riding that there used to be. And I bet a large percentage of them will cross over to adventure riding, or at least some type of longer distance riding as they age. After all, how many people other maybe Sjaak Lucassen can ride something like an R1 all day when your over 50 years old.
Needs: new garage (in planning) Need more room for more bikes.
Stkmkt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #68
arjones
Roads and Waves

Oddometer: 189
Talking I'm 40, body of a 30 y/o, thinking I'm 18

Not really... Yes I just went 40 last march. But I try to keep in shape (mostly because I'm a surfer, since I can remember)... and, no, I don't see myself at that lame position of trying to be younger than I really am.

That been said, I should say I started late (somewhere around my late 20's) and riding cruisers. But, funny enough, at that time I was already pretty much involved with long travels. Done two trips around Argentina and Chile on cruisers. I'm from the northeast Brasil, by the way, and did other trips around that part of South America on a F 800 GS with more enjoyable time and being in different places, only possibles 'cause I was on a adv bike. Put 56.000 km in less than 2 years... I guess I always have been an adventure biker, but without an adv bike for sometime. I blame ignorance. I just didn't know about it, I thought there was "to much plastic parts" on these bikes and other nonsense that I'm not proud of...

The thing with my adventure bike was pretty much by chance. I mean, I found myself without any options when I was looking for buying a new bike. I decided to give it a try... And man, lucky me, I did it! It was a great addition to a life style, because I could see places and go to places that I could not reach before, because of the ride.

But I always have been the youngster of most groups I was in. And I don't know why. But I know this: lots of posers no matter how old they are!!!

Picture this: you go to a place where you find lots of young people on those electric chairs (speed bikes) and they look at you like "oh, here he comes, the old man with a farkled BMW thinking he knows what we don't know..."; then you go to a, let's say, a BMW's dealer shop and the old guys (all ready to go to the closest Starbucks) thinking "poor guy, he wanted to have a big and well farkled 1.200 GSA like mine, but he's too young/poor to accomplish it". So, I don't know about you, but to me it's a strange feeling, like I can't fit in with the young posers or with the old ones.

So, I guess, it's not about the age. It's about if you are a poser or not.
arjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #69
seandiddy OP
Psshhh, Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjones View Post

Picture this: you go to a place where you find lots of young people on those electric chairs (speed bikes) and they look at you like "oh, here he comes, the old man with a farkled BMW thinking he knows what we don't know..."; then you go to a, let's say, a BMW's dealer shop and the old guys (all ready to go to the closest Starbucks) thinking "poor guy, he wanted to have a big and well farkled 1.200 GSA like mine, but he's too young/poor to accomplish it". So, I don't know about you, but to me it's a strange feeling, like I can't fit in with the young posers or with the old ones.

So, I guess, it's not about the age. It's about if you are a poser or not.
+10 for that masterful summation.

Is there a coffee table book anywhere like this? Some of the anecdotes we are getting here are seven kinds of awesome!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #70
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
I'm 26. I mostly ride with two of my friends, who are both 26, and my Dad.

We all have 1978 or -79 Yamaha XT500's as our ADV bikes. Yes, they are big enough and reliable enough to take long trips on... you just need to carry tools and spare parts. Thats part of the fun for us.

We also have street bikes too...

I have noticed that there are not many young people into adv or dual sport riding. Motorcross is pretty popular among the teenagers and 20-somethings though... but its not for me. I prefer scenery.

My girlfriend, who is 25, does not care for long adv trips. She enjoys motorcycling, and is going to take the MSF course, but she gets 'bored' riding through the countryside or through the woods. She prefers to ride across the city to go out to dinner, or to ride to a coffee shop on Saturday morning. Its not about the scenery and adventure for her.
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #71
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
fittywun body with the mind of a fifteen YO.

My opinion on why the generally older crowd? Time to use it properly/for adventure. How much fun is a day ride on a 600 pound beast (loaded)? To get the most out of these mud/dust/gravel pigs requires at least 3-7 days (IMHO).
SOP Dirt-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #72
yann L
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I used to ride dirt bike when I was a teen. I was totally abusing of my older brother generosity. He was home only 1 out of 2 week-ends but still doing the maintenance and buying tires\parts. I was only feeding the bike with gas.

Then between 20 and 30, nothing, I don't remember even riding a friend's bike for 5 minutes!
Bought the 800gs last year to give me a little of that dirt bike feel....well... I don't catch air with it but at least I get back home covered with mud or a few more pounds of dirt and dust.

About the coolness or not of this bike, I don't care much cause that's THE bike I wanted and I'm really glad I made that decision. Plus my girlfriend really enjoy it, specially with the center vario case, she lean against it and relax. Now she want to do her license and buy a 650gs.
yann L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #73
ScubaStevieG
2wheeledadventurer

Oddometer: 15
I'm 32, been riding for 6 years. Started on a versys, but pretended it was a GS the whole time. Progressed to an 1150 and more recently an 800. 35k miles later I'm always the youngest with the BMW crowd and i don't mind it one bit. Nothing like being with a group who enjoys the ride in a mature manner.

Everyone nailed it already...

Price is high( sticker and for parts, labor etc).

Safety is not always paramount to younger riders (the same way folks look down on Volvos as old people cars)

Image first -Practicality is not top of mind(sport bikes are somewhat masochistic in their sexiness).

The time and taste for adventure is not always aligned with the financial resources to enjoy it until you are older or have experienced some success in life.

Steve

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
ScubaStevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #74
Dr. Hemlock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Dr. Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #75
seandiddy OP
Psshhh, Yeah!

I had a chat with some youngins today. Asked what they thought about ADV bikes. First, they thought these bikes cost WAY more than they actually do. I mean, yeah, if you are looking at a triple black 1200 with every bell and whistle then you are going to drop a small fortune, but the mid-sized bikes that would honestly fit these guys style better are well within their reach. Second, it's about the sexiness... but, they said they were more interested in it than they were two years ago and it's because they've noticed more around.