Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #121
murpies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
I'm 36 . Riding on my f650gs twin for 3yrs. Had been riding for 13yrs and my previous bike is a Honda super 400 and the Fazer 600 which I hit 250km/hr on straight . Now I'm more comfy on the twin n high speed motoring is no longer matter for me.
murpies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:13 AM   #122
oz mal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Hi everyone.
I'm 41. I have been riding for as long as I can remember on all sorts of bikes.
Why wait until now?
Money was one reason.
I guess I wasn't ready, is another. Different things happening in my life effected this I suppose.
We had open speed limits only a few years ago, so speed was a big attraction for me at that time. I bought a CBR900.
My last bike was a KTM450SX (motocrosser). I thought I had some mad dirt riding and racing left in me. I found out I was wrong. Riding around in circles is boring. Loading the bike on and off of trailers get very tedious, as does the maintenance. And hey, I'm not 16 anymore. I don't want to come off all the time.
I did some soul searching and looked back at what was the most fun I had on motorbikes. It was when I was 15. I bought my first brand new bike (TT250) and rode it everywhere, as far as the tank would take me. No where in particular, just exploring. Thats what I'm doing again on the F800GS. I have finely found the bike for me. It took me 12 bikes to get here, but this ones a keeper.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #123
8thdwarf
perfect,just perfect

Oddometer: 123
how old am I?.... dirt, old as dirt.... ya, that's about the way I feel, trying to roll out of the sleeping bag in the morning.... still, it's worth it. getting up, I mean, the alternatives aren't so great. ADV riding on my '10 F800 sled makes it all worth it. meeting people, cramming the bike in places it really shouldn't be placed, looking at vistas that are tucked away in off the wall places and living to tell tall tails about it. priceless.....
8thdwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #124
AK49
n00b

Oddometer: 6
71- After riding Harleys over most of the US for 15 years my wife decided she

would sell her bike. We sold the Harleys and I purchased a 2013 F700GS in

June. I have 2000 miles on it and hope I can get another 1000 on it before the

snow flies
AK49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #125
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,611
OK I'll play...

49. Started at 10. Raced MX until I was a senior (18).

Bought my first road bike. Lost license. We have a point system. 12 points accumulate, license gone. Speed 30 kph over in those days, 2 points.

License back. Lost license.

License back. Set new record losing license the same day I got it back.

License back. Lose license riding with a pillion wheelstanding as I exited a roundabout doing nearly 3 times the speed limit.

A period of numerous high speed pursuits occurred here. I got sick of being fined, so I started running. I got good at it. My copper mate told me they knew who I was. So did my copper neighbour. I didn't listen. I figured they had to catch me to make it stick. Lost enough points in one week to lose license 2 times.

License back. Chased for 120km at up to 250kph by up to 6 Police cars at one time, with the 2 HWP pursuit cars being cooked due to sustained high speed. Avoided gaol because I was an electrician apprentice with the Navy, building missile launchers. Sold my last bike in 1986.

Joined Army to teach myself discipline. Served 8 years as infantry rifleman.

Got home from Somalia to a 6 yo, 5yo, and 4 month old child I'd never seen. Left Army and raised the children.

Last child left high school and I went and got my license back in 2008.

Oooohhh, I've been a baaaaaad baaaaad boy since then. But age has taught me cunning and treachery. It has also taught me that I have the right to remain silent. Admit nuthin to no one. I didunt see nuffink.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:20 AM   #126
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,254
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:39 AM   #127
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,611
BWAAhahahaha, mate some of us were raised to just not give a shit.

You have to learn the hard way how to balance that with societies expectations.

I still remember the motorcycle cop who chased me for nearly 40 mins in Sydney traffic back in about 1984. I was innocently sitting at traffic lights near work when he screamed to a stop next to me.

I knew I was in trouble when he threw his helmet on the ground and screamed "YOU ARE A FUCKWIT"

I don't know what he was on about. He's the one that nearly went under the semi. Not me.

Good times.

I went for a period of 11 months once where I hit 240kph every single day. In city traffic.

I look back on it with awe and wonder. Some of the shit I did a man just shouldn't get away with. It was fun. I knew no different. I grew up in an area that had the highest unemployment and car theft rates in the nation. My mates in high school were, by age 20, either dead, in gaol, in the services, or Police/ambulance officers. All the Government trades etc.

Now we are all veterans, priests, ex cons etc. About half are dead. Some find god. Some find peace in serving. Some find peace with bikes.

I'll let you know if I find it.

I had to get a print out of my traffic record once. The period from 1982 to 1985 ran to 4 foolscap pages. Good times.

In my last court appearance, I was facing the charges of speed dangerous, manner dangerous, exceed speed (numerous radar readings from 180 to 200+kph), 21 counts cross lane lines without safety, 14 counts fail to stop....and I stopped listening.

There was an outlaw club sitting in the court waiting for some friends who got locked up after a brawl the night before. They were on their feet cheering and screaming with the magistrate yelling and banging the gavel. I put my hand in the air schoolboy style and when he motioned at me I explained that I was in no way associated with the rabble in the back. He said he was aware of this, and that I was in much more trouble than them. Ooops.

Snowy screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 12:45 AM
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #128
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Hey, kid! Get off our lawn!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #129
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by seandiddy View Post
I'm 31 now and have been riding adventure style bikes since I was 24. Something that I have noticed is that I'm often one of the youngest if not the youngest guys riding in a group. Not that I mind you old-timers; your old man strength has come in handy time and time again. I'm just wondering why more young folk haven't picked adventure riding up yet.

At first I thought it was probably just an issue of price point, but then I realized that is just stupid. A brand spankin new KLR is still less than 7k. There are certainly no shortage of 21 year olds in Colorado Springs who drop 15k on a Busa and another 2-3k on leathers and other kit.

Then I thought it's probably just not exciting enough. Who am I kidding though? What's more exciting than riding the Great Divide on a few hundred pounds of metal and rubber?

It probably has something to do with girls. Girls think ADV bikes are ugly. My wife certainly does... but she also understands it. She'd much rather me have my 800GS than a S1000RR (although it is on the list).

But perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself. Maybe you all aren't as old as I believe. Is anyone here younger than 30 and riding a 650+ adv bike?
58 and been riding since I was 14. Rode street bikes for a while but got my first "adventure" bike in 1973. It was a Honda XL250.

We drove those bikes like there was no tomorrow

A couple buddies and I drove across the country to BC that summer. One guy used a TS185 Suzuki.
We don't need no stinking cruisers!

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #130
Metalsapo
R.E. Ordoñez

Oddometer: 41
Im 30, bought mine at 29, this is a ego thread!
Old 08-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #131
Cam805
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
mid 30's on an f800GS. Usually the youngest guy on the local day rides.
Cam805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #132
aferiksson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I'm a fat 45 year old fart and still haven't got my bike license. Hope to get it before I turn 46 in november (and complete it with a f700gs or maybe f800gs) :)
aferiksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #133
oldNbold
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Short, fat, 62 yr old Harley rider here. That's gonna change soon. Need a newer bike more suited to adventure. My Harley is older than many of you. She's 36. She's no trailer queen but she stays on the tarmac. No dirt.
oldNbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #134
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
I am 23, been riding dirt bikes since I was about 6 and rode my dad's KLR quite a bit in high school. I have yet to see anyone younger than me in any of the ADV groups I have been in. Heck I am probably the youngest one on here!
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #135
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,471
66...that makes about 55 or so years riding, starting with a B&S powered minibike, and too many bikes to list after that
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote