Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
jpk1080 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I stumbled across an 2001 DRZ400 today that has 1800 miles on it asking 2500 bucks no issues supposedly. Sounds like a decent deal and it does have the electric start and is the street legal version. trying to find out more info and he's apparently going to send more photos this afternoon. i wonder if he would come down antoher 300 bucks or so. that seems pretty good for a bike with such low mileage. Thanks.

http://asheville.craigslist.org/mcy/3882409233.html
jpk1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #17
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
That sounds like an excellent bike there. Supposedly no issues can only really be verified in person but certainly nothing wrong with the DRZ400 as a whole.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #18
jpk1080 OP
Adventurer

Does that price sound pretty fair. I'm hoping maybe 2200 will work for this bike. The only thing i worry about is that I will be mostly on the road. Will this suffice especially with street tires and minimal freeway use?
Old 06-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #19
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

That is spot on for price, at least in my area. I have never seen an S model below 2k.

That is a valid concern with the DRZ as they have a close ratio 5 speed. However you can gear them up to be more road friendly at the expense of having to do more clutch slipping on dirt trails and slow going. This is a problem for people that do singletrack and highway in the same ride but not much of a problem for commuters, who can deal with the gearing change better.

The main problem for me doing long distance road work on the DRZ however is the seat. It is narrow and about as hard as a 2x4. I rode a buddies for about an hour and was ready to get off for that reason alone. Seat concepts makes a much better replacement I hear.

Hope that helped.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #20
jpk1080 OP
Adventurer

Helped a ton jimmy thanks. Thankfully I'm used to my rock hard Mtn bike seat so hopefully it won't be too bad. He hasn't answered me on price yet but I guess tomorrow I will look at it. He said its sat for a while so so,e of me fuel has kind of gelled in the carb. Runs fine but he wants to get it cleaned. Does that sound pretty common for a bike thats sat a while. The tires may also be old. When u talk abt changing the gearing for the road r u referring to changing he front and rear sprockets? Thanks
Old 06-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #21
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

No problem.

Yes that is very common for gas to have sat for awhile and gummed up the carb. I've had some sit for as little as a month and ended up with problems, however on the opposite side I've also had some sit for 6 months and be fine. I tend to go with chevron for my last fill up before storage but that's just my personal opinion.

I'm also guessing if he is cleaning the carb or having it done, he's not going to be as likely to move on the price. Still should be a good bike even at his asking price though, provided everything else works out.

Yes when I say you can change the gearing I'm talking about changing the sprockets. Stock gearing for an S model is 15 front 44 rear (no guarantee that's what will be on this bike as it's a very common mod to change it) Most street riders go to 15/41 to lower their RPM on the highway.