User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
guitarin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Neale Bayly Rides kinda sucks

I find this show kind of annoying. Seems like a more commercial version of Long Way Round. Over produced, staged, fake, whiney, not what I expected or hoped for.

guitarin screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 06:43 AM Reason: add a comma
guitarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarin View Post
I find this show kind of annoying. Seems like a more commercial version of Long Way Round. Over produced, staged, fake whiney, not what I expected or hoped for.
Yeah I just watched it too. The woman was kinda hot, in a cougar-ish way. Annoying though. Maybe it was the Rallye 3 outfit. I wish I had someone to follow me around & pick up my GS when I dropped it.

I also did not like the lead guy doing psych stuff on his riders. WTF, why is it his job to get that one guy out of himself and engage the natives more? Maybe I don;t understand what this is about, I was just surfing channels and saw GS's cranking though scenery.

That desert stretch looked tough though.
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Seems to be in the 'Reality' crap TV of late, don't think I'll bother watching again.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:33 AM   #4
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
Seems to be in the 'Reality' crap TV of late, don't think I'll bother watching again.
I didn't realize it but you're right. I expected a legit show about GS's and technical riding, it is just an MTV reality show on GS's.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:44 AM   #5
Hoppus Maximus
Slayer of Brews

Oddometer: 106
Not the greatest show, but these riders were brought on for possible adoptions, so that's good. It also sheads light on poverty. Either way, I'd rather watch a bad motorcycle show than a good MTV show with a bunch of bitchy twenty somethings who think they know it all.

2006 1150 GS Adv.
Hoppus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:52 AM   #6
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarin View Post
I find this show kind of annoying. Seems like a more commercial version of Long Way Round. Over produced, staged, fake whiney, not what I expected or hoped for.
I totally agree.
Honda: 2000 CB750
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:52 AM   #7
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppus Maximus View Post
Not the greatest show, but these riders were brought on for possible adoptions, so that's good. It also sheads light on poverty. Either way, I'd rather watch a bad motorcycle show than a good MTV show with a bunch of bitchy twenty somethings who think they know it all.
If there's anything worse than a reality TV show it is a reality TV show that tries to guilt trip me into being more socially conscious about whatever, esp via manipulating my love of bikes. No thanks. YMMV.

I may watch it again with the sound off.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #8
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,796
I covered my TV with a decorative tablecoth 5 years ago,it never got turned on again.

Shoot your TV.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:14 AM   #9
Crocker
A Baltimoran abroad

Oddometer: 3,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
I didn't realize it but you're right. I expected a legit show about GS's and technical riding, it is just an MTV reality show on GS's.
Yep.

I watched the first episode, realized it was "reality" tv with manufactured drama and decided not to go any further.

I'll just stick with reading ride reports.
Crocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #10
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Mainly a long info-mercial for BMW GS bikes and riding gear, but I did like the actual BMW bike commercials. Had not seen them before.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #11
guitarin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocker View Post
Yep.

I watched the first episode, realized it was "reality" tv with manufactured drama and decided not to go any further.

I'll just stick with reading ride reports.
Ride reports ROCK!
guitarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,191
Feasting on Asphalt was way more fun

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #13
bcs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
The show is a piece of rubbish. They spent all that time at the BMW training center, with nothing but a bunch of trumped up drama about whether the riders could make it. Not one useful tip on riding the F800GS off road.

it just gets worse in episode 2. So we have to watch the token chick drop her bike over and over. It must be very tough for her--sometimes she has to wait several seconds for a man to come pick it up. But about halfway through the show, when they are picking her bike up for the 10th time, you can clearly see she is riding in sand on street tires. They look quite like the tires BMW delivers on the bike. So I gotta feel a bit of sympathy for her. I mean, any experience rider would be smart enough to put some TKC-80s on the bike first. Or maybe street tires were intended to guarantee extra drama. Remind me never to borrow an ADV bike from Neale Bayly.
bcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #14
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Oddometer: 807
You have to learn to filter out what you don't want. I tune out the drama and just enjoy the riding bits. Something about seeing a big bike plow through loose sand. Bad A$$!
seatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #15
Harry94025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcs View Post
The show is a piece of rubbish. They spent all that time at the BMW training center, with nothing but a bunch of trumped up drama about whether the riders could make it. Not one useful tip on riding the F800GS off road.

it just gets worse in episode 2. So we have to watch the token chick drop her bike over and over. It must be very tough for her--sometimes she has to wait several seconds for a man to come pick it up. But about halfway through the show, when they are picking her bike up for the 10th time, you can clearly see she is riding in sand on street tires. They look quite like the tires BMW delivers on the bike. So I gotta feel a bit of sympathy for her. I mean, any experience rider would be smart enough to put some TKC-80s on the bike first. Or maybe street tires were intended to guarantee extra drama. Remind me never to borrow an ADV bike from Neale Bayly.
I was also wondering why they were using street tires for sand? The other thing that could have helped out would have been to run the tires at a lower pressure for the off-road/sandy sections. I've been riding motorcycles for over 45 years (dirt & street), and in that one episode she crashed more than I have in all those years of riding...
Harry94025 is offline   Reply With Quote