Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #136
edge2edge
Evil Scotsman

Oddometer: 181
I would like to point out that the show has had wide reaching approval. It is also a "good news" motorcycling story, something the general public does not get very often.

Also by inclusion of a female rider, whether you think she is "qualified" or not, definitely speaks out to other females who might be considering purchasing a motorcycle. How can this be bad? The show does show rider training, again how can that be bad? Doing trip preparation, even if it is not up to the standards of our elite here, how can trip prep be bad?

Neale Bayly is the real deal, search his name. He has done a great deal for the sport of motorcycling, and made an honest living doing it. Anyway, I have included a few links for those who don't have the time to do a bit of research on the guy, and the impact he has had.

It is nice to see good news motorcycling shows...god knows the motorcycling community needs an image makeover. My opinion...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...yly-rides-peru

http://www.womenridersnow.com/pages/...der_On_TV.aspx

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/es...y/viewall.html

http://motorcycling.speedtv.com/arti...ntz-school/P1/

http://www.wncwoman.com/2013/08/14/l...is-rides-peru/

http://www.vervemag.com/june-2013/20...her-blood.html

http://www.citizen-times.com/article...nclick_check=1
edge2edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:23 AM   #137
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
You're right, we have no basis to judge whether we think something is good or bad.

Pass the bowl of pus, please, I'm hungry.
That big wooshing sound was murphus' point flying by your head.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:56 AM   #138
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
That big wooshing sound was murphus' point flying by your head.
B.S.

I didn't really care for the show. I turned it off. I made my preference known.

It's called CHOICE, and mine gets to be different from yours.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #139
murphus
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge2edge View Post
I would like to point out that the show has had wide reaching approval. It is also a "good news" motorcycling story, something the general public does not get very often.

Also by inclusion of a female rider, whether you think she is "qualified" or not, definitely speaks out to other females who might be considering purchasing a motorcycle. How can this be bad? The show does show rider training, again how can that be bad? Doing trip preparation, even if it is not up to the standards of our elite here, how can trip prep be bad?
I couldn't agree more, no surprise. Here's another cool article Bayly wrote about his first ride to Peru in 1995 -- on an early '80s street Kawasaki 550.

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/cl...#axzz2bPDOXe7B
murphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #140
edge2edge
Evil Scotsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphus View Post
I couldn't agree more, no surprise. Here's another cool article Bayly wrote about his first ride to Peru in 1995 -- on an early '80s street Kawasaki 550.

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/cl...#axzz2bPDOXe7B
Cool article, before ADV riding was trendy! The bigger picture which seems to have gotten lost in this thread, is the fact that Neale managed to get his program on the air at all. Although riding motorcycles has become slightly more popular it is still not mainstream, which is precisely why there are few programs directly related to riding. The number of viewers are just not there for the networks to be interested! Having a show that is able to reach out to a wider viewing audience is what Neale did, and with his background/support of motorcycling he managed to get a show on the air. Like I said, the guy is the real deal, plus he loves Kevin Schwantz, my favorite rider of all time, so he is good in my books!

I for one would like to see more motorcycle related shows, but that is not going to happen until the motorcycling community starts to see the bigger picture and show some solidarity in terms of support for motorcycle related programing.

An analogy would be my dislike of cruiser motorcycles, not a fan even in the slightest, but I still wave at them, I still talk travel/adventures with them, and I appreciate that they are out riding. They have a commonality with my hobby, so there is a certain level of respect that goes with that. The show might not have been what YOU want, but the logistics to get it done, the riding and the message of kindness for others should not be overlooked. IMHO that is worthy of my respect.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #141
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge2edge View Post
Cool article, before ADV riding was trendy! The bigger picture which seems to have gotten lost in this thread, is the fact that Neale managed to get his program on the air at all. Although riding motorcycles has become slightly more popular it is still not mainstream, which is precisely why there are few programs directly related to riding. The number of viewers are just not there for the networks to be interested! Having a show that is able to reach out to a wider viewing audience is what Neale did, and with his background/support of motorcycling he managed to get a show on the air. Like I said, the guy is the real deal, plus he loves Kevin Schwantz, my favorite rider of all time, so he is good in my books!

I for one would like to see more motorcycle related shows, but that is not going to happen until the motorcycling community starts to see the bigger picture and show some solidarity in terms of support for motorcycle related programing.

An analogy would be my dislike of cruiser motorcycles, not a fan even in the slightest, but I still wave at them, I still talk travel/adventures with them, and I appreciate that they are out riding. They have a commonality with my hobby, so there is a certain level of respect that goes with that. The show might not have been what YOU want, but the logistics to get it done, the riding and the message of kindness for others should not be overlooked. IMHO that is worthy of my respect.
Me too but if the choice is no motorcycle shows and the lame-ass shit we see on the TV, I'll take none thanks. In fact, strike that, what we saw had little to do with motorcycles - it was a soap opera first and foremost, closely followed by being being one big infomercial for BMW.

I'll pass on any more of that shit thanks.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #142
edge2edge
Evil Scotsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Me too but if the choice is no motorcycle shows and the lame-ass shit we see on the TV, I'll take none thanks. In fact, strike that, what we saw had little to do with motorcycles - it was a soap opera first and foremost, closely followed by being being one big infomercial for BMW.

I'll pass on any more of that shit thanks.
Which is precisely why networks do not take chances with motorcycle related shows. As for the show being an infomercial, well someone had to pay for the show, I could care less which motorcycle company stepped up to the plate. In this case it was BMW, the sad fact is, the other manufacturers have done nothing to push motorcycling into the mainstream. If I am mistaken I would love to be pointed in the right direction cause I love bikes/travel shows!

I guess I just love motorcycles and travel, and I was able to see the show for the positive it does. Others do not, each to their own.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #143
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
I would like to point out that the show has had wide reaching approval.
Just like all the other reality TV in our country. It has gotten so staged and dramatized the producers have actually started including a warning at the beginning of at least one show explaining that at least part of the show is basically scripted.

This speaks volumes about our nation. Are you listening, or watching TV?
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #144
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Quote:
B.S.

I didn't really care for the show. I turned it off. I made my preference known.

It's called CHOICE, and mine gets to be different from yours.

You still don't get it.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #145
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post

You still don't get it.
So you claim, but you don't know me.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #146
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphus View Post
What a bunch of whiners. So let me get this straight. Reading most of these comments, the conclusion from this august group of "riders" is apparently that a dedicated motorcyclist with three decades of experience in the saddle and a strong streak of altruism, who finds a way to connect a desire to help fund an orphanage with motorcycling, is worthy only of derision and fault-finding because he didn't do it exactly the way you would. Wow, I wish i lived in your world. I think the show is excellent. The fact it used inexperienced riders makes it better because it shows non-riders what it actually means to saddle up and ride South America. That there's some contrived drama is probably unavoidable; TV caters to the lowest common denominator because most TV watchers are pathetically devoid of any capacity to appreciate real life, so they have to be juiced like a drug addict. Think Orange County Choppers; what a joke. This show was nothing like that. You should be applauding this show, not panning it. Instead of dishing out shit and rejecting a show that could help put a positive spin on motorcycling you guys seem convinced that if it doesn't exactly, precisely meet your expectations it should be wildly canned. No wonder motorcycling keeps drifting farther and farther from the mainstream.
Murphus, are you also known as Neale Bayly....?
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #147
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Oh please, it was nothing more than an infomercial for BMW for goD's sake.
I sort of think you just made his point for him....
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:03 AM   #148
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Quote:
So you claim, but you don't know me.
Your remarks within this thread reveal enough for me to confidently make the claim.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:55 AM   #149
murphus
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Murphus, are you also known as Neale Bayly....?
No. But I guess I'm a fan.
murphus is offline   Reply With Quote