Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #166
leepic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
So glad you guys are doing well! I'm not even on the ride and I caught the cold, too.. WTF!?
'79 QT50
leepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #167
DyrWolf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I was wondering if you guys lengthened the handlebar mount bolts after adding
that plate under the Lynx. I have a Lynx on my BMW XC and was thinking of adding 5mm to my bolts. I do check them and they seem to need snugging up more often than I would like. I think its from having softer material between the top clamp and the mount.
DyrWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #168
Dirty Lloyd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Enjoying!

Enjoying your ride guys. I have been following you for weeks! Best of luck!

Lloyd
Dirty Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #169
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 294
Rest day

Well today was a day for us to try and recover more from this nasty cold we are both trying to beat into submission. We were going to move on this morning, but when the alarm rang at 6 we both hit the snooze button on the iPhones. Ten minutes later we both vetoed getting up and I called the front desk and extended our stay.

We got the laundry done again. And I went to walmart and got more drugs for the trip. I hope this day off will nail this cold crap down a bunch.

I just wanted to add my two cents in on our maintenance stop. Sean at Mountain Tech Yamaha was awesome. He could have just changed our tires and sent us on our way, but he wend above and beyond what we wanted to do initially. He received packages for us, spent his time helping us fabricated parts, changed my springs, and helped us poor travelers make our bikes like new. We appreciated greatly and make sure that we took care of him when it came time to settle the bill.

It looks like our luxury tour of the TAT hotel circuit has come to an end. Due to the 4th of July holiday weekend every hotel within 30 miles of the TAT is booked.

Time for some camping, we have all the gear and now we are finally going to use it.
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #170
Dirty Lloyd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
?

Hey, I have a question as I dream about doing this trip myself someday. What have you packed that has turned out not needed?

And what did you not bring that you regret?

Thanks for your time!

Enjoy the ride!

Lloyd
Dirty Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #171
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Lloyd View Post
Hey, I have a question as I dream about doing this trip myself someday. What have you packed that has turned out not needed?

And what did you not bring that you regret?

Thanks for your time!

Enjoy the ride!

Lloyd
Lloyd, we packed pretty lightly to begin with. So far we have not needed our camping gear but that was our choice.

We do have an idea of stuff we found to be essential but are saving that for another post.

Esp41 packed a boatload of tools we have not needed but we would not leave most of them at home. My tool kit has handled all my needs so far and it is pretty sparse. I did have to buy a soldering iron to repair a Powerlet plug for charging our electronics.

I may be regretting not having any long John pants but my Klim pants kept me warm this winter in much colder temps than we are going to experience over the next couple of days. So I should be ok.

We only mailed home a pair of socks, Esp41's wind screen, and my old springs.

07 WR 450F
Old 07-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #172
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

Oh, trying to get the Long Canyon Road video out tonight. Might be tomorrow morning due to the blazing Internet speed here at our hotel.
07 WR 450F
Old 07-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #173
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyrWolf View Post
I was wondering if you guys lengthened the handlebar mount bolts after adding
that plate under the Lynx. I have a Lynx on my BMW XC and was thinking of adding 5mm to my bolts. I do check them and they seem to need snugging up more often than I would like. I think its from having softer material between the top clamp and the mount.
I did not need longer bolts for the plate. I put longer bolts on when I installed the Lynx. I had plenty of threads to spare.
1993 Harley Heritage Classic
Tomos ST
esp41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:12 AM   #174
Ilbikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Hooked On Reality TV

You guys have quickly become my unsung heros. I've gone from checking in once every 2-3 days to checking post 2-3 times a day. This is my brand of reality TV...unscripted and full of events that actually took place with nothing staged.

Dirty Lloyd asked the same questions that I've had in mind since day 3. I hope that when you're back home and the trip done, that you'll both share the gear experience with all of us. I'm in my mid-50's and I absolutely want to do this trip, but I can't help but scramble my brain over what to pack and where to store it.

Your adventure hits home with me because you guys aren't some 25 year-old triathalon competitors who have super-human powers. The introductions at the front reeled many of us in for the same reasons "we can do this". I also appreciate that you don't have a chase vehicle leap-frogging the trip as some friends did on their trip last year. Add too that you're on 2 different brands of bikes that I assume don't share any parts.

Tons of questions for when you're back home - What gear was worth the weight and mass and what wasn't? Is a small firearm, a can of Mace, or other defense something you would recommend? Is it something you ever wished or thought you might need? I ask this since Summer and Fall are when Rabbies are most found in wild animals and you're constantly in the backwoods where some farmers/moonshiners might feel you are tresspassing. Other than water and lots of it, were there special meals or food items that you packed for the noon meal? Any special First-Aid, CPR, Blood trama skills you took in preparation of the trip?

Bike selection is one other aspect I'm curious about. Both of your bikes are very dirt oriented and are at the high-end of the performance scale with watercooling and 50+ horsepower. Have you used most of that and would you consider something less dirt and more comfortable if you did it again in 2 months? Did you find parts of the TAT that would not easily be negotiated on a WR250, a DRZ400, or a Honda XL650?

Well, it's starting to look like a book for you guys....

We're hooked. Keep those post coming -

Gordon
Ilbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #175
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

Long Canyon Road

Here is a quick video of us climbing up Long Canyon Road.

It was a fun little climb with a nice view.

Long Canyon Road from Kirkster on Vimeo.

07 WR 450F
Old 07-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #176
Philb772
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post
Here is a quick video of us climbing up Long Canyon Road.

It was a fun little climb with a nice view.

Nice video, that was a pretty good little elevation gain. Keep them coming. Can't wait to see some of the CO videos.

Ride Safe, Phil

"Safety Third"
Philb772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #177
Matt-tastic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Were you all around Moab this morning, could have sworn I saw at least a couple Husky's parked on the main strip on our way out of town. Don't see them too often so they kind of caught my eye...
Matt-tastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #178
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-tastic View Post
Were you all around Moab this morning, could have sworn I saw at least a couple Husky's parked on the main strip on our way out of town. Don't see them too often so they kind of caught my eye...

Not us..

We are leaving the Lake City CO environs as soon as our post goes up...
07 WR 450F
Old 07-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #179
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

Leaving Salida.

We headed out of Salida and were immediately put onto nice dirt roads with which to christen our new knobbies. It turned into good fun as we motored on up the trail.

The trail narrowed and turned rocky. Many rocks. Sharp, pointy rocks. Many rocks were loose. Some were buried halfway in the ground. You have to watch out for the half buried rocks, as they are the ones that will flatten your tires or dent you rims. With our bikes fully loaded, we had to stay in 1st gear and pick our lines carefully. This is the kind of riding we signed up for. I have a bunch of video of the trail that I will try and get up once we get somewhere with decent Internet.

We were just having a good old time. The climb kept going up, up, up. I think we climbed for about a half hour. There were a few spots where the rocks turned nasty and then we got to the top of the pass. Not knowing just where we were until we turned around. High fives were given…

We had cleared Marshall Pass on the Continental Divide. The other side of the divide was a butter smooth graded road. This made the trip down pretty easy compared to what we experienced on the assent on the eastern side of the pass. The valley was lush and green with tons of great photo ops such as these

We did run into a bit adventure today with a couple of off track excursions. Our GPS tried to take us on a road did not exist. We zoomed out on the GPS and made our own path. The only problem was that my tire went flat just a quarter of a mile into it. We backed the bike down to somewhere kind of flat and started looking for the culprit, but were not able to find any signs of a puncture. We aired it up and it held 23 PSI with no problems. This left us scratching our heads but we rode on.

Since I was gun shy on that back tire I kept checking the pressure. It seems that after the second tire check I left the tank bag open. Next break I went to check the pressure and there was no gauge in the tank bag. Damn I liked that tire gauge.

Well next break I look at my bike and look what I spy.

It seems my tank shroud caught my tire gauge and held on to it for me. Maybe my tire luck was changing.

This is the first time Sam’s GPS tracks had us on a road that did not exist. We have waypointed it. The GPS makes course corrections easy, if your rerouted roads exist. You just zoom out on the GPS until you find a road that intersects with the track again. Of course, you never know the kind of road. Needless to say this “road” was a bit of an adventure. It turned into a challenging two track with deep wheel tracks and grass in the middle. It went a couple of miles before getting us back on track.

It had a nice hill climb and even some mud if that is your thing.

Once we got back down on the official TAT track we were treated to scenes like theses all the way to Lake City.

Just as we were arriving into town that mysterious flat tire reoccurred, so much for the tire fairy, and worse this time it was not holding air. We started tearing the back tire apart in a garage parking lot that was closed for the holiday. Just as we had gotten the tube out the owner of the garage, which was closed, came along. He took us into his shop and helped us patch the tire. It turns out the tire patch from the KTM’s 2nd flat had failed. We meant to replace that tube in Buena Vista, but we forgot.

Flat fixed, it was time to eat. We went across the street and treated ourselves to two large calzones.

Then we hunted for hotel vacancies. There were none. So we started hitting campsites on the trail. Three campsites later, just as we were about to “stealth” camp, we found a campground with one cam site left. Of course, they only allow one tent per site. A bit of negotiations later, we convinced them to allow us to put up two tents.

It was about 7:00pm, and even though we had not “experienced” camping yet, we got our tents up in no time. Here is our 1st campsite.

Tomorrow we continue west……
07 WR 450F
Old 07-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #180
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,666
You guys are hitting it out of the park! Glad you are getting to do it, hope those colds get GONE!